Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

How Do I Cycle 6XAS Transmitter NiCad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:34 AM
adavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Cycle 6XAS Transmitter NiCad?

I've been using a 6XAS for about a year and it seems to me that the NiCad charge isn't lasting quite as long as it used to. I understand that cycling the NiCad (Repeated charge/discharge) could help to restore the capacity. As I'm a lazy person I'd like to purchase a device to do this automatically. However, I believe that Futaba transmitters have a diode which prevents such a device from discharging the NiCad while it is in the transmitter.

[ul][*] Is it OK to remove the NiCad for cycling?[*] Is this approach recommended?[*] Will I lose the model memory settings?[*] If so, can the memory be retained by swapping to a second charged NiCad quickly?
[/ul]

Any advice on Transmitter/Receiver NiCad care would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
=Adrian=
Old 03-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Krysta

Default RE: How Do I Cycle 6XAS Transmitter NiCad?

Hi Adrian,

You are correct the radio is diode protected, if you would like you may send this into the service center to have a polyswitch installed, which will allow you to cycle the battery while it is in the transmitter.

1.) Yes it is okay and recommended as you cannot cycle with it in the transmitter.
2.) Yes, it is recommended to help prolong the life of your battery.
3.) No, removing the battery will not cause you to lose any model settings.
4.) There is no problem with losing memory or settings.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Also you may want to check our Website at (http://www.futaba-rc.com)
Old 03-01-2004, 11:29 AM
adavis

Krysta,

I live in the UK - Do you know if it is possible to have a polyswitch installed over here?

Thanks,
=Adrian=
Old 03-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Krysta

Hi Adrian,

I would suggest that you contact Ripmax at:

www.ripmax.com
[email protected]
helpline telephone: 0181 282 7500
Ripmax Corner, Green St.
Enfield
London EN3 7SJ

They should be able to help you out, and see if they carry this part.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 AM
GRAYGHOST

Why is the diode used in the first place? Can't you just bypass the diode? What does the polyswitch do?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Krysta

A diode is a safety device installed in your transmitter that only allows voltage to go one way. All Futaba transmitters have diodes built into their circuits to protect your radio. If you accidentally plug an unprotected transmitter into the wrong brand of charger, you may destroy the transmitter. If you accidentally plug a Futaba transmitter into a JR charger, for example, all that will happen is your transmitter does not get charged, no risk, no damage.

If you wish to cycle your Futaba radio's transmitter batteries, you simply need to remove your transmitter pack from your transmitter and then discharge/cycle it, and reinstall it back into your radio. You may need to utilize banana plugs to attach to the charger leads.

We do not recommend jumping the diode in your transmitter as it removes this safety feature from your radio system and also risks damaging the radio. Please also recognize that doing so voids your radio's warranty. For an alternate solution which leaves your transmitter's diode protection in place, please consider soldering two J plugs inline instead.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Old 03-03-2004, 04:27 PM
kpunisher_2000
My Feedback: (6)

Krysta,

My 6XAS battery pack has a different type of connector on it than the receiver battery pack. What do you recommend I use to connect the battery pack to my cycler?