Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Need help programming elevons on Futuba 8UAF Radio

Old 06-26-2002, 09:05 AM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help programming elevons on Futuba 8UAF Radio

I have about half a dozen flights on my Whiplash, the plane is very fast. I seem to be having some control problems in the turns. I feel that it is due to an improperly programmed radio. Problem is can't seem to get control throws low enough (for the really high speed runs), or adjusted dead bang where I want them. Getting more down movement than up, control surfaces stop moving before sticks are maxed out, and when sticks are maxed on elevator can't get very much aileron movement. The instructions in the manual arn't the best when it comes to elevon programming so I feel I'm just not doing something right or doing it all wrong. Have zeroed out programming and just started over several times with a little different result each time. I have Hitec 5645 digitals with a Futuba FP-R127DF receiver. In need of help from someone that understands elevon programming on the Futuba Super 8 and this model, that requires such small (approx. 5/16") control throws. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:43 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

RCJ,
For starters, get your throws set up as close as possible properly on the aircraft with the ATVs at 100%. I dont know your particular aicraft, but I know the radio very well. When you get to really small % on the ATVs etc you're going to get strange behaviors because you've blown all the resolution of the servo, so first of all get your linkages to give you even throws in each direction as close as possible to your maximum needed throw.

Once you've done so, then adjust the ATVs further, if needed. Of course, adjust up and down to be identical.

Now turn on elevon, make it active.

Tell me what you need specifically as far as aileron travel vs elevator travel, do you need aileron differential, etc.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:55 PM
RC_Junky

Originally posted by amcross
RCJ,
For starters, get your throws set up as close as possible properly on the aircraft with the ATVs at 100%. I dont know your particular aicraft, but I know the radio very well. When you get to really small % on the ATVs etc you're going to get strange behaviors because you've blown all the resolution of the servo, so first of all get your linkages to give you even throws in each direction as close as possible to your maximum needed throw.

I'm sorry but I'm not getting this or it's just not working for me. This is what I have done, I reset the data to start fresh.
leaving the ATVs at 100% I adjusted the linkages for close as possible to desired travel, still getting a lot more down travel than up. No radio adjustments / programming at this point, only manual adjustment to neutralize control surfaces. Please tell me what the next step should be.

For starters I am looking to get 4/16" of aileron travel up and down. With 5/16" elevator travel up and down, on Hi rates and have Lo rates at say 75% of these values. Of course I will be setting Expo accordingly. This is the end result I am looking for. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15647_511.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	10022  
Old 06-26-2002, 04:51 PM
amcross

RCJ,
AHHAH! You've answered the magic question -- your linkage needs to be adjusted so it is not creating the differential you are describing. Take the servo arm off the servo, center the radio gear, and reposition the servo arm with the arm square to the LINKAGE (not necessarily the servo case). This should do A LOT to resolve your differential problem.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:58 PM
RC_Junky

You were right, misaligned linkages along with having ATVs set too low really make servos do strange things. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:41 PM
amcross

Happy to assist!