Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

What Happened???????????

Old 07-26-2008, 03:07 PM
ronofnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Happened???????????

Alright, I know I should not have flown but was anxious since I am new to RC flying. After building a Phoenix 330s Extra with an OS 91fx engine I did a radio check and was surprised to see a lot of servo wiggle (rudder and throttle) with no input on the two transmitter (T4EXA 4 channel) controls. I was using 2 Futaba digital S3152 servos for the elevator and Futaba S3004 analog servos for everything else. The receiver was a Futaba R168DF FM. I changed the receiver, same results. I tried a Futaba T4EXA 6 channel transmitter, same results. Replaced the S4004 servos, same results. The wiggle occurred 1 foot away or 10 feet away with collapsed antenna. At 30 feet away no wiggle so I went flying, big mistake. At takeoff the plane went sharp left then it went straight up then sharp left again, I had no control as plane circled back to me and crashed into field. Checking the radio out at home I found that moving the antenna around the servo wiring caused the rudder servo to do a hard full left on two occasions and the wiggle was very intermittent. Finally I changed the on off charging switch and all the servos got real quite! So the question is should I trust the radio now or is there a more comprehensive test I could try? I am out of town tomorrow but hope I can get some good advice on this; I appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What Happened???????????

If moving the receiver antenna, or touching it, causes problems, we'd say that the receiver should be looked at. Just changing the switch should not be so dramatic. If the switch is bad, you'd either get operation or no operation when the engine's not running. When the engine is running, then we'd expect glitching because the power would be flickering on and off.

If you perform bench tests and field range tests with the model's engine running and not running, and are satisfied with how the system performs, then you may want to try flying it in a "more expendable" model. If you get good flight tests, you can then decide if you want to trust the system.

Otherwise, we'd be glad to check it out for you.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 PM
ronofnc

Default RE: What Happened???????????

Sorry I took so long to reply to your post. I didn't put a save on this site (dummy). I just finshed building the new phoenix and guess what! It started again. I am going through the whole thing again and try to figure out what's going on. I have many years exerence in electronics and this really baffles me!!! I will let you know what I find out. (with the on off switch changed out I turned on the transmitter and then the receiver and the rudder went full right twice then full left and even the S3004 started twitching a little. My son says he has never seen anything like this (mechnical engineer). I let him do the trouble shooting last time, perhaps a mistake!
Old 04-19-2022, 04:31 AM
Petewaters

Default pccm not on PPM?

Originally Posted by ronofnc View Post
Sorry I took so long to reply to your post. I didn't put a save on this site (dummy). I just finshed building the new phoenix and guess what! It started again. I am going through the whole thing again and try to figure out what's going on. I have many years exerence in electronics and this really baffles me!!! I will let you know what I find out. (with the on off switch changed out I turned on the transmitter and then the receiver and the rudder went full right twice then full left and even the S3004 started twitching a little. My son says he has never seen anything like this (mechnical engineer). I let him do the trouble shooting last time, perhaps a mistake!
check the modulaaaion thats is sshowin PPM, not PCM
Old 04-19-2022, 09:10 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

FYI, this is 14 year old thread.