RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Futaba Radios Direct support forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futaba-radios-direct-support-forum-125/)
-   -   18 MZ Switch Position Warning (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futaba-radios-direct-support-forum-125/11603084-18-mz-switch-position-warning.html)

Malcolm H 08-21-2014 07:29 AM

18 MZ Switch Position Warning

Hi Bax,

On my 18MZ I run 5 flight conditions. Normal and four others. Normal and two other conditions are on a three position switch and the other two conditions are set using the logic function and another two position switch. Condition four is three position switch in position 2 and two position switch in position 2 and condition 5 is three position switch in position 3 and two position switch in position 2.

The problem relates to condition warnings. If the three position switch is in any other position than 1 you get a condition warning on startup, but if it is in position 1 even if the two position switch is in position 2 you don't get a warning because "Normal" condition overrides condition 4 and 5. However if you take off in "Normal" but with switch two in position two and then flip the three position switch to position 2 or 3 you get the wrong condition because of switch two!

Is it possible to add a startup warning that indicates two position switch in position 2 without affecting its action in the logic sequence for condition selection?

Thanks

Malcolm

Bax 08-21-2014 11:43 AM

Basically, you want all conditions but condition #1 to be off when you turn on the transmitter, otherwise you'll get the warning. No way to get around it. If you need five conditions, do you really need to use a logic switch to operate them? You can have one three-position switch with conditions 1, 2, and 3 and a second 3-position switch with off, 4, and 5. Then, you can move all the switches to a known startup position and you'll get no warnings.

One good idea about switch setting is to have all the switches set up so that when they are all flipped away from you, you are in your startup/takeoff position. "All forward--GO!". Futaba calls that setup as having the switches set to the "Up" position. "Down" is toward the flyer.

Do you use the logic setup to make it more difficult to get into conditions 4 and 5? Using the logic switch makes sense, then. still, you can set it up so that the switches flipped away from you will be your startup settings. Set the order of the conditions to make sure they are arranged so that you get them operating correctly, since the ones "farther down" the list take priority over ones higher on the list.

Malcolm H 08-22-2014 12:23 AM

Hi Bax,

Reason for the logic setup is that is what I have used for years on brand X and when I converted to the MZ I wanted to keep the switch moves the same. I can see it makes sense to go to a three position switch for the other two conditions if I would get a warning if either of these conditions is on at startup. If not it's probably not worth the bother in changing and unlearning the habit of years. I have got all switches setup with away as default position and haven't made the mistake of taking off with switch two "on" yet but it's only a matter of time!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Malcolm