RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Futaba Radios Direct support forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futaba-radios-direct-support-forum-125/)
-   -   Futaba 14sg lockout (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futaba-radios-direct-support-forum-125/11691960-futaba-14sg-lockout.html)

Bass1 07-20-2021 06:03 PM

Futaba 14sg lockout

Last fall I bought a very lightly used 14sg transmitter in " like new low time condition". It was purchased to replace my old trusty trouble free 9C transmitter and to outfit my squadron of planes with the new (to me) 2.4 technology🙄. I installed 617fs receivers in a 1/4 scale clipped wing Cub and a small 40" span Edge 540. I flew both of them 4 or 5 times apiece with no problems. I just recently bought a new R 2000sb receiver for my 50 cc Slick 540. While programming and setting up
throws, mixes etc the screen went into a strange unreadable scrambling flickering mode. I quickly cycled the on/off switch and the screen returned to normal. After the reboot everything seemed to be working normally again. I finished all the programming and went out for the airplanes new " maiden" flight a few days later. I did the range check with the reduced power range check feature and I got a good 50 paces with full control. Back to the pit for startup and runup and at 3/4 throttle all controls functioned as they should. Takeoff went smoothly with maybe 3 clicks of right aileron trim and I began with some basic IMAC maneuvers in a close in flight box. At the end East end of thetbox I did a wide 360* turn to approach the runway for a fly by. At that point I lost all conrol of the aircraft. The plane started a tight spiralling turn losing altitude fast but circling closer to me at about 50 yards away and at about 2/3 throttl. I was slamming sticks on the transmitter every which way and somehow regained control at about 20 yards away at about 20 feet from ground. Cut throttle immediately and glided in for a landing. Long story Long, I sent the radio and receiver into Futaba service a few weeks ago and got a repair price quote. I basically sent in the same info posted here and the tech said based on the info I gave of the near disaster I would need a new PCB board, RF side and screen. About a $200 repair. So my $375 purchase of a slightly used like new Transmitter will now cost $575 plus shipping and insurance costs. Ouch.. Really just wondering if there has been problems like this in the past with the14sg radio. Not sure how my comfort level will be going forward with this "new" replacement system and the rest of my refitted squadron of aircraft.

FUTABA-RC 07-21-2021 06:58 AM

Sounds like you got one that was used harder than you thought. Spend the money get the radio back to 100% and go have fun. This sounds like a specific issue with your used radio. I never buy used unless it has been factory checked first.

Bass1 07-28-2021 06:37 PM

Still no JOY

UOTE=FUTABA-RC;12686727]Sounds like you got one that was used harder than you thought. Spend the money get the radio back to 100% and go have fun. This sounds like a specific issue with your used radio. I never buy used unless it has been factory checked first.[/QUOTE]
Well after receiving the transmitter and receiver back from Futaba Service Center and $170 repair + $23 shipping charges poorer, the Radio is still screwed up. 3 out 5 Range checks failed badly so definitely no flying any of my airplanes now with this Futaba 14sg setup. Too many very expensive aircraft at stake. Pretty disappointed with the products and service at this point. I sent Futaba Service an email about this and will see what their response is from here..

FUTABA-RC 07-28-2021 07:05 PM

What receivers in what kind of planes

Bass1 07-28-2021 07:25 PM

Planes receivers

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC (Post 12687717)
What receivers in what kind of planes

The planes this particular combo was used in was a 50cc Slick 540 (this is the one I lost all control of for about 10 to 15 seconds) and today the "repaired equipment" was installed in a 3/D electric foam model for testing with bad range check lockouts or random weird servo commands 3 out of 5 tries. Very sporadic to say the least.

Bass1 07-28-2021 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bass1 (Post 12687720)
The planes this particular combo was used in was a 50cc Slick 540 (this is the one I lost all control of for about 10 to 15 seconds) and today the "repaired equipment" was installed in a 3/D electric foam model for testing with bad range check lockouts or random weird servo commands 3 out of 5 tries. Very sporadic to say the least.

Oh, the receiver involved in both aircraft is the same Futaba R 2008sb that was supposedly checked out satisfactorily along with the 14sg repair.

FUTABA-RC 07-29-2021 09:29 AM

I would adjust the RX antenna locations to see if range improves. Weird servo movement usually indicates noise from the "other" side of the RX, from servo leads out