RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Futaba Radios Direct support forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futaba-radios-direct-support-forum-125/)
-   -   Proud owner of 72mhz Futaba radios, but...... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futaba-radios-direct-support-forum-125/11704483-proud-owner-72mhz-futaba-radios-but.html)

Joel308cal 01-11-2023 02:00 AM

Proud owner of 72mhz Futaba radios, but......

So, I've been flying since the mid to late 80's with 72mhz Futaba radios and have yet to experience any issues with them. I currently have a 6XAs PCM and a brand new, never used T9CAP that I plan on making my primary radio for my 60 size pattern planes. It currently has the original plug-in module and I was made aware that I can use a 2.4g module with appropriate receivers. If I decided to get a 2.4g module which one would you gents recommend? Which receivers would be good to get? Would I be able to fly a drone with the 2.4g module? Thanks.

J330 01-11-2023 05:24 PM

The DSM8 is a popular choice because it will bind with a lot of aircraft and it's half the price of the Futaba TM-7 module,
pretty hard to find and costs more than the 9CAP radio does.
You can pick up a new DSM8 2.4 Ghz module for $75 shipped on Ebay from time to time.

I am staying with the 72 Mhz modules instead and use the same 9C radio as you have.

Joel308cal 01-11-2023 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by J330 (Post 12758421)
The DSM8 is a popular choice because it will bind with a lot of aircraft and it's half the price of the Futaba TM-7 module,
You can pick up a new DSM8 2.4 Ghz module for $75 shipped on Ebay from time to time.

I am staying with the 72 Mhz modules instead and use the same 9C radio as you have.

thanks for the info bud. Much appreciate it.

Dick T. 01-12-2023 11:49 AM

Unless you just want to get into 2.4ghz and there are no restrictions locally to 72mhz, stay with what you have. With 2.4ghz dominating the radio world there is virtually zero chance of interference now on 72mhz. Futaba PCM is probably the most bullet proof protocol on 72mhz, even when 72 was the dominate frequency used.

As mentioned previously, a DSM8 Spektrum module works in the 9CAP and operates almost all Spektrum receivers, except some most recent and newer BNF airplanes. Futaba's TM-7 or TM-8 FASST modules operate all current sport level FASST receivers reliably. While costing more, when they do pop up for sale, they work trouble free with the 9CAP.

I use both 2.4ghz and 72mhz with my Futaba transmitters that are module based. The interchangeability provides a lot of flexibility depending on flying site locations and frequency allowance or restrictions.

Your 6EXA and 9CAP are among the best systems Futaba produced in 72mhz. Use them until they croak!

Joel308cal 01-12-2023 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by J330 (Post 12758421)

in all honesty I don’t want anything having to do with Spektrum. I’d rather fork over a bundle on a Futaba module. Thanks for the insight though.

FUTABA-RC 01-13-2023 10:59 PM

Good info in the posts above. Quick reminder this is the vendor support forum and not the open discussion forum.