Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3MM 53 Hop Up kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:46 PM
RPool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3MM 53 Hop Up kit

I just installed the Hop Up kit for the 3MM 53. I've never worked on a carb before and the kit didn't come with instructions (just an oversight I am certain.) Since it is the wekend, it'll be several days before I'll probably be able to contact Wild Hare R/C. I want to run the engine this weekend so I thought I'd check here. Is there anyone who has the 53 that can verify I stacked things properly from looking at this picture? My biggest question is about the red plastic gasket...is it in the right place? Also, the nipple on the reed block...does this act as an alternative to adding a nipple to the pressure plate with a line running to the fuse? The kit came with an extra nipple and I'm not sure if I am supposed to stick on the plate anyway. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49627.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1503099  
Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 3MM 53 Hop Up kit

The nipple in the reed block should be for the impulse signal to the pump on the carb.

The other nipple you mentioned may possibly go to the pump cover on your carb? If there is already a nipple on the pump cover of your carb then it could be used in the vent hole of the steel regulator cover?

You will need to run a length of Tygon line between the nipple on the reed bock and the nipple on your fuel pump cover.

Did you also get the Frank Bowman single ring?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 PM
RPool

Nope, no ring. Did you do this modification too? How did it work out?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
w8ye

When I saw your post, I looked around at what others had to say about this modification. Plus someone experienced with two stroke gas engines can sort of figure out what is going on and where the parts go.

You will have to disassemble the carb pump cover and drill and tap it for the nipple you have.

I wonder why they gave you no instructions? maybe you should call them?

Stock engine showing other side of carb . . .

[img]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png[/img][img]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82760.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1503195  
Old 09-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hop up kit was intended to rid the engine of a small burbal the carb was prone to generating and to permit rotating the carb if desired. Tom had instructions for the kit, and he is very good at answering questions from his customers when they call or e-mail him, even on weekends, as long as you call before 7 pm Texas time. The installation does not look right although I have never done one myself. You should call Tom.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:47 AM
RPool

Thanks all. I was close! I had the cab base gasket and the red plastic spacer reversed. w8ye was right about installing the nipple in the pump cover and connecting the two. I know all this because Tom at Wild Hare is working LATE. He actually just replied (12:08am) to an email I sent earlier today. He sent me instructions and photos. That is one hard working, service oriented man! (Seems Tired Old Man knew what he was talking about too! Imagine that.)
I'm attaching kit instructions in the event anyone ever needs them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xv64052.pdf (149.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-19-2010, 12:56 AM
w8ye

What is going on here, this engine originally had a flat reed plate with two reeds.

This mod changes the engine to a pyramid type reed block with four reeds.

The mod also includes a external pulse line for the carb pump so the carb can be mounted in either position.

There was another modification that went along with this and that was to get a new top ring from Frank Bowman and run without the bottom ring.

The total gain in RPM for these mods was around 300.