Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE111 will not prime

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:38 PM
kcollier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE111 will not prime

I have a new DLE111 out of the box that I'm trying to start. Confirmed that tank and fuel lines does not have air leak. There does not appear to be any vacuum to pull the fuel into the carb when hand propping. I've checked the low and high end needles and they are at the recommended default settings. Connected a new fuel line directly to carb and tried to force fuel in but no success. Could not blow air into carb after opening throttle and choke.

Any suggestions on what to check next? Thanks

Keith
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DLE111 will not prime

You cannot blow through the fuel line into the carb. Not unless you can develop over 15psi with your mouth. It takes that much to lift the needle off of its seat to let fuel in. Prime the fuel line with fuel and slide it onto the carb so you have fuel that far. Pull the plugs and give the cylinders a shot of fuel. Put the plugs back in and it should fire. Once it does it will usually prime the carb. Some of them come rather dry and will not draw fuel. If thid doesn't work there are other things you can do as well but this usually works.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:13 PM
kcollier

Thanks Super08. Will give it a try when the sun comes up....
Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keith, Make sure the choke plate is seating properly in the intake. Dan.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Keith,

I have several 111's and every one has been like that out of the box... Do yourself a favor take off both covers on the carb, especially the pump side, and give them a good wash down with fuel mix and reassemble them wet... It will prime and pop within 10 flips after that... If the motor is off the plane you might want to give it a little more through inspection as there has been occasions were some of the factory sealant on the welch plug and broken off plug or restricted the fuel screen.

Good Luck,

Ed
Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah dry diaphragms seem to be an issue with a lot of these 111's, don't see nearly as many mentions of the issue with the single cylinder engines and I don't know why....

Any rate; my buddy and I fought this issue with his new 111 and I had a pretty good idea of what the problem was and how to fix it by pulling the carb side plates as already mentioned. But the engine was installed on the model, the access to those plates was restricted and my friend a bit reluctant to tinker with a new engine/carb. So.... we made sure there was fuel in the line (tygon so you can see it) up to the carb intake by pulling that line off and pressurizing the fuel system with his filler setup. Didn't help, so we tried a few shots of fuel right into the carb throat and the thing would start and burn the prime and quit. He wondered if putting a little fuel into the needle valve ports would help and I couldn't see any reason not to try it so we pulled the needles out and flushed some fuel in there with his fueling setup. Re-installed the needles, gave it another shot of prime directly in the carb and it started up and kept running just like it was supposed to do in the first place.

So while I personally would have just pulled the carb side plates to wet the diaphragms, if you're not comfortable with that you could give the above mentioned technique a try.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Tired Old Man

Happens just as often with the single cylinder engines. Of most every type. Happens all the time with engines that have been stored for a few years as well.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 AM
DALE PABAJO

I have a DL 50 and did notice similar problems with it,I had a hard time getting the fuel up from the tank to the carb. so I made sure the butterfly choke seated properly and also noticed a small hole on the butterfly so I pluged that with my index finger while turning the prop. while the ign. was off of course, and the fuel flow from the tank to the carb while primeing was a whole lot easier.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
kcollier

Thanks for the input gents. I'll try your suggestions this week and I'm sure something will work.

Keith
Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Tired Old Man

Just pull the covers off the carb and get everything wet with fuel. If you lift the diaphragms and get a little fuel inside your problem should go away.