Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Expected 50cc RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:33 AM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expected 50cc RPMs

I have a Area-51 53cc engine with about a gallon thru it.It starts and runs perfect and so far has been a great engine.I am getting about 7000 rpm out of a Vess 23-A,7200rpm from a Xoar 22-8. I have unlimited vertical on my Pilot 30% Yak,but was wondering how this rpm compared to a DLE or other 55cc engines.I am running a large-volume J-tec pitts muffler,would I get better performance from a good canister to justify the cost?I know this is a two ring piston,and may take longer to seat the rings. Any input or legit rpm numbers would be appreciated,Brian [sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Expected 50cc RPMs

Top End RPM is not a measure of engine performance by any means. Yes, it is a measure of top end RPM but nothing else.

What really matters is what the throttle response is in the throttle range where you fly. That is where the engines should be getting compared.

Try a 23/8 on the engine, you may be pleasantly surprised at the change in the way you fly.

I have found that spending the money on a Canister setup compared to what you have won't nake a huge difference. If you are looking for every last RPM in a particular (small) RPM band, a tuned pipe that is properly set up will help.

The JC53cc is not the top revver by any means but they do have good mid range power curves.

If you want real top end power, Spend more and go to a BME 58, 3W 55, MVVS 58, DA 60, Zenoah G62 Lite etc etc.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Eagleburger

Similar rpm to the area-51 I had. A bit weaker than other 50cc engines I have had but nice running until it prematurely died at about 4 gallons.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:40 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

i would say your in the ball park with the rest of most 50's.i get 7400 on a Vess 23-a with a BME 58, on a stock muffler. but thats a 58 and yours is a 53 so not to bad.now if you want to play around with a pipe set up i get i get 7900+ on the same prop with a MTW pipe.but it's not a bolt on power happiness you half to play around with the header length and prop combo.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 PM
mm

Hello,

I have 6600-6700 rpm on my area 51 with pipe ks 1060 (sea level) and menz 22*10, after two gallons ...i hope better soon...

Stephane
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 AM
aussiesteve

60cc from the same manufacturer - seems there is a magical number here somewhere

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzx_rxSKq0k&feature=player_embedded[/link]

4% Synthetic, 23/8 prop, evening air conditions.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone says "Don't worry about rpms, worry about how the plane flies", and that is quite true. Planes are different, flying styles/desires are different, props are different, and conditions are different. Only experimentation will find the right prop for you and your plane.

However, having said and acknowledged all that, the bottom line is if one engine turns more rpms than another, with the exact same propeller and testing conditons, it is more powerful, period. A lot of times that is what OP's are wanting to know. IE, which engine is more powerful, and/or how their engine stacks up against others? Yes, torque curves come into play as to how the engine will fly, but people LIKE to play the "horsepower game."

AV8TOR
Old 11-02-2010, 06:50 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977
but people LIKE to play the ''horsepower game.''
AV8TOR
Ain't that a fact.
I recently saw a Chinese engine manufacturer advertising around 7 HP for an engine that is between 55 and 60cc displacement. (I wont name the brand so as not to get off track here). Then they went on to quote the engine as having a peak RPM of 9000. There is not a lot (if any) "50 size" engines that come from China for this hobby that would run at those RPMs for long. Of course if they were to plot a series of HP figures at differnt RPM's it would sure make prop selection a lot easier for all of us. we could choose the RPM range we wish to fly at then choose a prop that loads the engine about right at that range.

HP - Torque (ft lbs) x RPM / 5250
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

it's simple more RPM's=more fun.you may get more thrust, say with a Xoar 23-8 prop at a lower RPM. but put on a Xoar Laminate 22-8,then tell me witch one you like for vertical speed and rite now pull out.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
aussiesteve

Then put it in a warbird or some slick plane and make it a 20/12 prop and have even more fun - right?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RPM is a good starting point to evaluate the power of different engines but is not the total story.

I have tested engines on test stands, in planes with different props and built thrust stands in a attempt to figure it out.

For a sport flyer, Really does not make a difference to them. As long as the plane flies well and has power to get them out of trouble they are happy.

War bird type flying takes a complete different prop set up that a 3D plane, We did some testing with 3D props and higher bite props and found that the war bird on a 3D prop was just revving the engine and seemed to go nowhere, put a higher bite prop on it and the plane loved it.

Also, not all props are equal, A 22-8 in one prop will not be the same as a 22-8 in another prop.

Now for 3D flying, They like the higher RPM props over the higher bite lower RPM props even if the lower RPM props puts out more thrust.
Why, Because they spool up faster and pull out of a hover quicker.

Even two props doing the same RPM on the same engine will put out different thrust levels.

Below is a couple links to some video I did about three years ago, We did the same test 3-4 time to make sure it was not a fluke, You will see one prop putting out close to three more pounds of thrust and both props within 50 RPM of each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7hn80t3UQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKCfkTZ259E

Milton