Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZENOAH G-62 INVERTED ?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 PM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZENOAH G-62 INVERTED ?

HI
IS IT reasonable to run a ZENOAH G-62 INVERTED as that seems it would be the best way to cover it in a cowl to improve the look of the air framewill i be making it impossible or to much more difficult to start the engine -please only respond if you have been there done that as that would be most helpful BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ZENOAH G-62 INVERTED ?

99.9% of all single cylinder engines are mounted inverted.

Milton
Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
flygilmore

Yep....in fact, it would be rather odd to see a gas engine mounted upright like its smaller glow cousin.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM
hanko

I know a guy that has a giant stick with the DLE 50 upright, and a pitts style muffler. Looks like a Peterbilt. that engine doesnt care if inverted, sideways, or any other way
Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tony0707

HI
-please only respond if you have been there done that as that would be most helpful BEST REGARDS TONY
I have been there and done that with a G-62, so yes, by all means, mount it inverted. Upright would be odd indeed.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
edwal07

Been there done that! Have one in a 29% Pitts. Starts and runs like the powerhouse it is! Never a problem with starting. I have the spring starter on mine. Wind it up once to choke, then again to start. Inverted is the norm, matter of fact never seen one upright in an airplane! Would look kind of goofy!

Put it in inverted and let her fly!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine no care. Gottum spark plug and fuel pump.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM
arobatx

Pat, I thought for sure you were going to get on here and tell em they have to start the engine clockwise if they mount it inverted Or maybe that they have to hold the plane upside down to start it....the list could go on and on
Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
tony0707

HI
good to hear no problem inverted-and the norm -TONY
Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are new to gas engines, may I suggest the spring starter for the G62? It really makes the engine easy to start.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:51 PM
edwal07

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

If you are new to gas engines, may I suggest the spring starter for the G62? It really makes the engine easy to start.
I fully agree! It is near impossible to hand flip this engine. I used an electric starter prior to installing the spring, sure makes it easy! If you do install the spring starter make sure to check the spring and one way clutch for lube once in awhile, it will last alot longer, just a tip.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: arobatx

Pat, I thought for sure you were going to get on here and tell em they have to start the engine clockwise if they mount it inverted Or maybe that they have to hold the plane upside down to start it....the list could go on and on
I had thought about something like that but after getting banned for life at F___G I elected to be only a little bit acerbic I pushed pretty hard.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

99.9% of all single cylinder engines are mounted inverted.

Milton
Here is the 0.01%
Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: edwal07

I fully agree! It is near impossible to hand flip this engine. I used an electric starter prior to installing the spring, sure makes it easy! If you do install the spring starter make sure to check the spring and one way clutch for lube once in awhile, it will last alot longer, just a tip.
Thats an amazing statement as I've been b*tch slappin my Stuka for over 15 years and she never talks back just starts like she's suppose to every time. I do give her a brand new sparkplug every spring though. If the G-62 is tuned right and the prop is mounted in the right position, they'll fire every time. No need to spend $$ on a spring starter.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
edwal07

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: edwal07

Thats an amazing statement as I've been b*tch slappin my Stuka for over 15 years and she never talks back just starts like she's suppose to every time. I do give her a brand new sparkplug every spring though. If the G-62 is tuned right and the prop is mounted in the right position, they'll fire every time. No need to spend $$ on a spring starter.
Let me rephrase, it is harder to start by hand than with a spring starter.We're dealing with a coil ignition also,not electronic. And the main point in this is "If you are new to gas engines." The spring starter is so much easier to use and the spring starter kit is around $55.00 and very easy to install. I use it because it is easier and I don't have to "b""tch slap any of my engines and we get along just fine! LOL!
For a newbie it would be nice to have! And then there is an electronic ignition available to update from the coil ignition of which I have not done. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 AM
arobatx

I think folks see others at the field starting their EI engines, with lazy two finger flips, starting at compression. You will fail and likely get bitten back doing this with the oem mag ignition equipped engines. Passing them quickly through compression, with plenty of headstart works fine, as noted above, when properly tuned. I'd spend the time to get to know your engine, and really understand strong tuning techniques. Spend less money and carry less weight too
Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: arobatx

I think folks see others at the field starting their EI engines, with lazy two finger flips, starting at compression. You will fail and likely get bitten back doing this with the oem mag ignition equipped engines. Passing them quickly through compression, with plenty of headstart works fine, as noted above, when properly tuned. I'd spend the time to get to know your engine, and really understand strong tuning techniques. Spend less money and carry less weight too
Some people will never learn to start a mag engine just like they could probably never start their glo engines without a starter. Some just don't "get it" so to speak. Some others may be elderly, have physical defects, etc. or simply don't have the strength to slap start an engine. I still fly several mag engines and they all have spring starters. Yes, I know how to start a mag engine and still have the strength and speed to do so but I choose not to. Its a personal preference thing. If maintained once in a while and used correctly, the spring starters last a very long time.

For the most part, give me an electronic ignition though!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I didn't mean to start a war. I was just making a suggestion for someone who may not have any experience with a large magneto engine, and maybe not any help either.