Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

gas tank placing

Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM
wflite
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank placing

Where should the gas tank be in relation to the motor. as for the height.
any help thanks
Bill

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
arobatx

Default RE: gas tank placing

It needs to be inside, or attached to the aircraft, somewhere....other than that, you are good. It might take a few extra cranks to pump gas through dry lines if it is further away, but while running, it won't know the difference. It's not like most glow engines that don't have pumps. Place the tank where it works best for your application. I usually aim for mounting on or near the CG of the RTF plane, so I can tweak the desired balance point with batteries and maintain that balance from full tank, to empty. It's height as compared to the center of the carb is a moot point.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

yep...with gas you can go anywhere....

the normal spot for most aerobatic gas airframes is right in front of the wing tube.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I run test engines the gas can is often standing on the floor with a tube running up out of it to the engine. If the carb on the engine can't handle a four foot column of fuel you want a different carb.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Rick.

Unless you're running one of the new Saito FG gassers with Saito's own design carb - gotta treat that as for a non-pumped glow motor...........
Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A great reason to use a different engine. If I desired the limitations of a glow engine I'd use a glow engine, especially for the weight and expense involved with the Saito. My opinion anyway.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 PM
flygilmore

Good posting....never understood the "desire" for those particular Saitos. Why go gas (and pay a fortune BTW) to be limited by glow principles?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Saito FG-14 and FG-20 are the ones with the poor pump and no regulator in the carb where the tank has to be placed as in a glow powered plane.

The FG-30 and FG-36 as well as the FG-57 twin have a full Walbro WYD carb with a pump and a regulator as most other gas engines
Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Rick.

why go for gas saito engines???

Well - what if you want that special fourstroke sound, but the cheap running costs of gas, but you don't want to have a huge plane so a sub-50cc engine is required??????

Then at present you have only ONE choice of engine supplier - Saito

Put another way if you don't mind the weedwacker noise ANY gasser will do
and if you've got endless funds, then ANY foustroke Nitro motor will do
If you can make use of the big OS fourstroke gasser - then fine

If your needs are none of the above - then you need a Saito FG series gasser.....................

I got one - sure hope it works - Lol...........
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I don't mean to bad mouth Saito. All the glow saito's I have run were EXTREMELY reliable. I have the FG-20 and can't get it to run reliably at all. I have 1.25 gallons through it with 20:1 High grade synthetic. I have sent it in for repair, got it back with a new carb, ignition module and spark plug. It still quits in the air, changes tune every flight etc. Any one out there have the same issues or did I just spend 500.00 plus dollars on a lemon? Others in my rc club have had similar issues. Any advice would be appreciated. The engine valves are adjusted and all fuel lines ,tank etc are new and without leaks. Thanks!