Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20 >

What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

Old 12-25-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

Well, I had bought a 70" Great Planes Revolver to put this in but I think I'm going to put it in a World Models P-51 instead and put a Saito 1.00 on the Revolver. I'll post up pics as I progress. I'm off work until the 2nd week in January so I should have plenty of time to work on it. The first thing I did was order a new Cowl for the P-51.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad I found this thread....I'm building a 4*120kit and I'm at the point where I need to decide the engine. I'm guessing the plane will weigh between 12.25 and 12.75 pounds. My thoughts are DLE 20, DLE30, and a CRRC gp26R with a rear carb... (www.maxfordusa.com sells them)

I like the idea of the beam mounts and favor the DLE 20 but wonder if it will have enough power. I like the DLE 30 but don't like standoffs (yes yes...I know they work fine, but I know that CA hinges work fine too and I don't like them either) and wonder if it would be too much for the 4*120 airframe (I've seen guys on youtube put even bigger engines on 4*120's, but don't know what they did to beef the plane up. I have already doubled the firewall and put a little extra bracing inside the fuselage so I think the fuse would be fine, but haven't built the wing yet)

The third engine the CRRC gp26R (rear carb) http://www.maxfordusa.com/crrc26ccgasengine-2.aspx weighs about the same as the DLE 30. I like the looks of that engine and it's beam mounting but from what I've heard CRRC does not have the same quality as the DLE engines. Also, I don't know about parts/support for the CRRC but know that DLE spares are easy to find.

Any advice guys? Would the dle 20 be enough power for a 4*120? or would the DLE 30 be a better choice? Any issues with vibrations from the dle30 with the standoffs? I currently fly a 4*40 with an Aviastar 46 and like that combo(peppy, but not overpowered) I also plan to mount a small digital camera to the 4*120 when it's done, but even with the dle20 I doubt that a small camera would impact performance significantly on such a big bird. Basically, I'm looking for the same type of performance I'm getting from my 4*40 with the glow .46...more than enough power but I don't really care about "unlimited vertical" Thanks guys!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

Well, I had bought a 70'' Great Planes Revolver to put this in but I think I'm going to put it in a World Models P-51 instead and put a Saito 1.00 on the Revolver. I'll post up pics as I progress. I'm off work until the 2nd week in January so I should have plenty of time to work on it. The first thing I did was order a new Cowl for the P-51.
You and I are in the same boat! I just received a Dle 20, and it will also go into my WM Petie! I will post pics when I get going.
I just maidened it with a pumped OS 91 II. It is to slow! Only one flight and I was disappointed in its performance and decided to look at a Ys 110. Then I ran across the Dle 20cc thread and decided to give that a whirl. It will be my first gasser.
I also purchased a wrap around small can J'tec pitts muffler for it. I plan on using a 16-10 or 12 prop on it.

Can't wait to get started on it!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:09 PM
My Feedback: (3)

My DLE-20 is going on this new Velox!

Old 12-26-2010, 05:19 AM

Nice
Old 12-26-2010, 07:21 AM

It is the nicest plane I have seen so far. It has carbon fiber everywhere, and it includes wing bags as well. The wing bags even have pockets for the wing end plates and the CF spar. The engine box is fuel proofed and has fiberglass cloth laminated on it for reinforcement. The hardware is very nice, and I have the wings already done, especially since they were pre-hinged and the gaps sealed from the factory.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 AM

Will you be posting any pictures as build? Would love to see the fuel proofed engine box with fiberglass cloth laminated on it.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Will do, but I don't think pictures of the fiberglass box will show up very well but I will try. FYI, (I have been asked) it is made by 3D Hobby Shop.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/28-35cc_c_214.html
Old 12-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Pulled the Saito 125 out of my RV-4 1/4 scale and installed the DLE20 runs very nice, still not broke in yet.
  Love the idea of no clean up after flight.
  Tim
Old 12-26-2010, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

Will you be posting any pictures as build? Would love to see the fuel proofed engine box with fiberglass cloth laminated on it.
I think you can see the weave of the glass, and the resin on the engine box in the 2nd pic. The attention to detail to save weight is amazing. The wheel axles and collars are aluminum and note the holes in the L/G box which was fiberglassed as well. The instructions say to epoxy or Gorilla glue the covered balsa piece over the carbon L/G, but since I have had the"pleasure" having to replace the L/G before on another plane, I now glue it in with some RTV so I can remove it if necessary.

<br type="_moz" />
Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

The PT-17 build is coming along just fine. I am not yet at the point on intstalling the DLE20. I am waiting to install the DLE-20 before I order the pitts muffler because the is 2 mufllers. A standard muffler and a small muffler and I will not know which on to use until I install the engine. I will post some pics of the DLE-20 once I get the engine installed.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the pictures.....I'm sure you'll enjoy the combo.....
Old 12-26-2010, 02:29 PM

I'm putting my DLE 20 in a World Models P-51 "Petie 2". I took the Saito 1.00 out of it today and did a test fit. Haven't even cut the cowl for the DLE 20. This is going to be a sweet install. I took the 14oz tank I had in the nose and now plan to put a 10oz tank close to the CG and put the ignition in the nose. There's plenty of room for this motor but it does sit back into the hole in the firewall about 1/8". I have a standard Jtech wrap around Pitts muffler that I had on an Edge and it is going to fit in this cowl with not too much fanfare. Not cutting on the side of the cowl, just enlongate the hole the head is sticking through now to fit the exhaust pipes. I'm going to try to run an APC 15x10 or 15x11. I'd like to avoid a 16" prop as I'd imagine prop torque is going to be significantly more than it was with the Saito and 14x8. Should be a fun combo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81921.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1538452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89887.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1538453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64342.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1538454  
Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
My Feedback: (44)

Thats just great. The install looks very straight forward. Can't wait to hear a flight report. I had that plane with a YS .91 in it and it was way fun. The 20cc should be incredible.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:48 PM

By the way, the stock muffler "may" fit if you cant the motor to one side just a bit but it looks to be a stupid close fit if you don't want to cut the side of the cowl any. The Jtech pits is about 3"16 narrower at the exhaust port and looks like it will fit fine. i'll post more pics as I progress. I'm off this week and hope to fly this thing this weekend.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:01 PM

My DLE-20 is going on this new Velox!
That is a nice looking plane for sure!
Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Jim,
do you plan on using the stock mount or the dubro anti shock aluminum one the PT17? Thanks for taking the time for posting.
Gregg
Old 12-26-2010, 04:37 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Gregg,

I was plannig on using the stock engine mount but after think about it I think I'll give the dubro anti-shock mount a go Thanks for asking. I'll post some pics once I get the DLE-20 mounted I am waiting on ordering the JTEC pitts muffler to see if the standard or small muffler will be best.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Well, I made a little progress tonight on my WM Petie Mustang. By the way Spinner-row, yours is looking sweet!
I removed my OS 91 and fit my Dle 20 on, darn near a drop in! I also have my cowl cut for the Jtec wrap around small can. As you can see it is a good fit!

I will work on the linkages tomorrow as well as rebalancing the plane and post pics as I go!.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61542.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1538532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78315.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1538533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62405.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1538534  
Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 AM

ORIGINAL: vinmech

Well, I made a little progress tonight on my WM Petie Mustang. By the way Spinner-row, yours is looking sweet!
I removed my OS 91 and fit my Dle 20 on, darn near a drop in! I also have my cowl cut for the Jtec wrap around small can. As you can see it is a good fit!

I will work on the linkages tomorrow as well as rebalancing the plane and post pics as I go!.
I wish I had a big screen TV in my shop! I'm liking how those pits pitts are sticking out. Motor should be almost completely except for the spark plug and exhaust tips!

I'm doing family stuff this morning but I should be working on it tonight. I have the stock plastic clevis' on the elevator but I'm worried about them with this DLE 20 and may replace them but I may have to replace the pushrods to do it. We'll see. That is the only thing that will slow me down on this but even that isn't huge. I'm hoping to fly it this weekend since I'm off this week.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 AM

I wish I had a big screen TV in my shop! I'm liking how those pits pitts are sticking out. Motor should be almost completely except for the spark plug and exhaust tips!
I wish I had a big screen too! The one on my table is only 22" lol. But it does the job as far as watching games and races.

As for the exhaust tips, I did have to cut them down about a half inch to allow the cowl to slip over. I did about a 20 degree angle cut (just eyeballed it!) to match the lines of the cowl.

I will be installing a new throttle nyrod to replace my steel throttle cable(can't have that!) which is fine because it is in the wrong place now anyway. I am still debating on my choke control, Servo or linkage out the bottom of cowl? hmmmmm.

I already have a 8 once hayes fuel tank, which is good for glow or gas ( love those tanks!). So all I need to do is change fuel lines to tygon and run my vent tube out the bottom somewhere(with the anti-syphon loop as well). i plan on using a fuel dot in place of my dubro fueler valve.

If this works out to be sweet, Ive got a WM P-40 60 size that was going to be electric..................Hmmmmmmm, lol!

Till next time, Mike
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM

The Jtec Standard Sized Wrap Around Pitts won't fit on the World Models .60 size P-51 without surgery to the firewall. Not going to do it. I'll get the compact size instead. You'll notice in the attached pics that the stock muffler needs some serious cutting of the cowl to fit as well. For those that aren't familiar with World Models planes, they give you a clear faux canopy to hack up first so that you can get your real canopy perfect and it works great!

And..... I would post some most awesome pics if the site would let me! [:@]
Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jtec Standard Sized Wrap Around Pitts won't fit on the World Models .60 size P-51 without surgery to the firewall. Not going to do it. I'll get the compact size instead. You'll notice in the attached pics that the stock muffler needs some serious cutting of the cowl to fit as well. For those that aren't familiar with World Models planes, they give you a clear faux canopy to hack up first so that you can get your real canopy perfect and it works great!

And..... I would post some most awesome pics if the site would let me! [:@]
Spinnerrow - I believe you mean they give you a clear cowl to hack up first right? That's how mine came.

Anyway - if you can't post pics would you tell me the key dimensions of the compact jtec wrap around pitts muffler? By the way I think you are calling the jtec wrap around with a 1.25 inch tube the compact version - right? Mainly how far the muffler exends from the head at the exhaust port and the overall width of the 1.25 inch tube. Also- how much clearance is there between the ends of this 1.25 inch tube and the cowl on each side with the engine installed?

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 AM

I searched both threads..and manual..but is the Carburetor able to easily be turned 180 as I see pics with the controls upright t and inverted. I would need to have them on the bottom ending at the top of the mount.for better access for the PT17 I think. Planing it out a bit without the engine in hand.
Thanks

Gregg
Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: gregg660

I searched both threads..and manual..but is the Carburetor able to easily be turned 180 as I see pics with the controls upright t and inverted. I would need to have them on the bottom ending at the top of the mount.for better access for the PT17 I think. Planing it out a bit without the engine in hand.
Thanks

Gregg
Gregg,
I have been following this thread (and the original thread) for quite a while and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere along the way that the carburetor was able to be rotated 180 degrees. Here is the most definitive link I could find:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10024687

Although it says "yes" it does not provide any specifics.

-Mike
<br type="_moz" />

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.