Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

NEW DLE 30 isn't getting fuel!!?? WONT START

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NEW DLE 30 isn't getting fuel!!?? WONT START

Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Neb_16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW DLE 30 isn't getting fuel!!?? WONT START

Hey guys. I have been flying glow for a number of years, and have just installed my first gasser, a brand spankin new DLE 30, into my plane. I went to fire it up today, and it wasn't drawing ANY fuel into the carb. Tried full choke, full throttle, screwing the high and low speed needles a few turns out... nothing. I probably flipped the thing for 30 minutes and not one drop of fuel got drawn into the carb. I finally pressurized the fuel system until the fuel was forced up to the carb inlet, then flipped it a few more times to try to draw fuel in. Nothing... not even a blip. When i injected a few drops of fuel right into the mouth of the carb, however, it fired up first flip, only to die a few seconds later. I then checked the fuel line to see if it drew the fuel any closer to the inlet... Nope. tried this several more times, even tried it with the pressurized fuel system. Still wouldn't draw any fuel.
The cost of the DLE was a bit more than i wanted to spend on an engine, but i figured I'd spend a little bit extra to get a reliable, nice engine. If this is the procedure i'm going to need to go through every time i get to the field, however, forget it! Any advice? I have heard wetting the diaphragm with gas helps? Is this what it is going to be like to start it every time it is dry? Seems ridiculous. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 30 isn't getting fuel!!?? WONT START

Something is wrong with the carb.

Send it back?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Probably more of a newbie plumbing set up problem.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:09 PM
w8ye

You have to be sure the clunk line goes to the carb and the vent line of the tank is open to the atmosphere.

There cannot be any air leaks in the clunk line
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 PM
jedijody

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inlet needle is probably stuck in the seat, new dry carb, it's less complicated than a weed wacker, send it back.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 AM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: jedijody

send it back.
Thats not fair Jody, just because he might not have bought it from you doesn't mean you should treat him that way.

Quote below is from Jody himself.

The object is just to get the pump diaphragm, carb body, and inlet needle/seat wet with fuel mix. The surface tension of the fluids then help the diaphragm seal onto the carb body and to lubricate the inlet needle and seat, nothing is done on the metering side of the carb, just the pump side. Once this is done it will always work fine unless you run your carb dry and let it sit for a month or two.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:56 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

The very first time I plumbed a gasser I had all kinds of problems. The root cause turned out to be fuel tubing too loose on the brass. You cant plumb like you do with glow. I solder barbs on the 1/8" brass tubes and use metal twist ties to make sure everything is tight and no air leaks. You DID use tygon, right? And add a couple of loops on the vent line fastened to the top of the gas tank before routing out the bottom of the fuse. Just some basic stuff I didnt know when I setup my first gasser without asking for help.
If all that doesnt work, then like jody says, you might want to send it in. Bad ones get out now and then. Working on a new engine can void the warrenty.
Edwin
Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

Now that you have had some excellent feed back, it is time to realize one thing. It is not a question as to the worth and reliability of a DLE engine. We are talking about the reliability of a carburator.Remember DLE does not make the carb. Before we all decide that an engine brand has a problem and condem one brand or another we should be talking about the carb and problems that arise no matter what the brand of engine might be
Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 AM
Clay Walters

Besides "send it back" is not an option for some of us. What does he need to do to get it working properly without sending it to anyone? Without any detailed technical brow beating jargon either.

I'd sure like to know!

Clay
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 AM
Lifer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine had the same problem when brand new. I pulled the cowl off and primed the engine the old-fashioned way....I squirted gas down the carb throat. It started. I later came to find out that the low-speed needle was too lean. (Thanks, Jody) I adjusted the needles and it is a great running engine.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 AM
lou1947

Take the carb cover off the side with the diaphragm. It is probably stuck. Remove the diaphragm and install it back on.My Dle 55 had the same problem. Hope that helps. Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

loosen the four screws on the diaphragm cover on the carb.now pressurize the fuel tank until you see fuel coming out, under the diaphragm cover.while fuel is coming out tighten the four screws,now the carb is wet and will not siphon back into the tank.i bet it will start rite up,if not send it back,or just go to electric.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: jedijody

send it back.
[b]Thats not fair Jody, just because he might not have bought it from you doesn't mean you should treat him that way.
Why is it not fair? The only DLE dealer you see posting in the DLE help threads are Jody and mpasqual. How much are they supposed to do for people that don't support their businesses? How do they stay in business by providing help and advice to people that do not buy anything from them?

Secondly, everything pertaining to DLE fuel starvation problems has been covered many times in this and other forums so a seach for something along the lines of "DLE carb problems" before the I hate all gassers comments would have been appropriate. That's why I called it a gas newbie problem. Lack of thought before going on a rant.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I'm not going to pick on him because he's new. Find someone that knows gas and ask for help.
When I was in surgery training and I broke a suture learning to tie, I was told this by my teacher "It's not the suture, but the jerk on the end" I never complained about bad sutures again. Dennis
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Tired Old Man

Where you obtain a DLE is pretty near as important as the buying price. Purchased from the right places the engines are checked prior to shipment, assuring ease of use once received.

To blame an engine (or carb) for doing what any engine or carb will do when left on the shelf too long, isn't quite right. Yes, the OP's rant statement was mitigated somewhat in the next sentence, but it still indicated an understanding and recognition problem.

The part that really irked me wasn't with the OP, it was with the person that said Jody wasn't being fair. When someone spends a couple of years building up product reliably and service policies in order to develop a customer base, only to have mega distributors come in an undercut him after all the work was done is not fair. Expecting the dealer that did all the legwork to provide help and advice to people that don't support his business is unfair. Wanting someone to work for free is unfair. If you buy from one place, but expect another place to do all the support for free is a form of theft. That too is unfair. Some in here have called it capitalism.

What seems to be considered fair and acceptable is for people to expect something for nothing.

So in this cae the OP has one or more problems. Incorrect plumbing termination points, incorrectly installed plumbing with loose connections, a dry pump membrane, incorrectly plumbed fuel tank, a line blockage, a stuck metering needle. All of which were attributed to a defective engine in the original post. All of that again supports my statement of it being a gas newbie problem, not necessarily an engine defect. The only thing known is that the engine runs when it receives fuel, as established by the squirt and flip method. The next step of the trouble shooting process is to determine why gas is not being drawn into the carb. A problem which is not limited to the carb itself.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Nothing will happen if you loosen the 4 screws on the cover.../The inlet needle under the diaphragm is opened when the diaphragm pushes on the end of the lever...Blowing into the tank won't get fuel past the lever unless you can blow 10 lbs pressure...No one can....
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
captinjohn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Antique

Nothing will happen if you loosen the 4 screws on the cover.../The inlet needle under the diaphragm is opened when the diaphragm pushes on the end of the lever...Blowing into the tank won't get fuel past the lever unless you can blow 10 lbs pressure...No one can....
<hr />
Sometimes just getting the fuel in the pumping section will get a dry carb going. Been there...done it. Now once he gets the engine running good...leave a little fuel in the tank in the airplane. Toni Clark explaines why. I done it....will continue to do it....because it makes for easy restarts after a week or more. It keeps the carb damp from the fuel.

Yes and sure as I said it...most will not even try it. To them guys...I do not fell sorry if you crank your arm off. Capt,n
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Turk1

I have met similiar problem 2 times on my friends' different brand gas engines.We force it run with priming by throat of karb.After several times such short runs,carb began to suck fuel.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 AM
captinjohn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turk 1
You done a good job. Is it warm over there this time of year? We got plenty of snow here...but will fly on a nice calm sunny day. My DLE 30 is itching to get airborn again! Ha.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 PM
jedijody

As was previously shown, I and others have given the answer to this problem many, many times. I can handle someone that doesn't spend 15 minutes with the search engine to find answers to very common issues but the OP's attitude is what garnered my response which BTW also gave him the answer to the problem.

I help all without regard to where they purchased their engine as many of you here know, but start a thread flinging bad attitude at an engine that I donated a great deal of time to in R&D to effect improvements for all modelers that want to use them is not the best way to get the most cordial response out of me.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
SkyPilot101

Neb said: I finally pressurized the fuel system until the fuel was forced up to the carb inlet, then flipped it a few more times to try to draw fuel in.

In my experience, the fact that this can be done indicates a leak in the fuel supply line, take out you tank and solder fuel barbs on all your metal tubing, clamp every connection with zip-ties (EVERYTHING) re-assemble & try again.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Tired Old Man

That's another instruction set that has been previously related many times over. It may even be in the gas engine newbie sticky, which far too few have bothered to read.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM
SkyPilot101

Is this what it is going to be like to start it every time it is dry? Seems ridiculous.

Going from glow to gas requires a somewhat more detailed approach when you initially set up your engine. Read the newbie stickey and follow it;s advice. I had problems with my first gasser too, stuck the fuel tubing on (like glow, thinking whats the big deal) and had nothing but fustration! It's not a hassle, just a different approach!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Antique

...Blowing into the tank won't get fuel past the lever unless you can blow 10 lbs pressure...No one can....
I used to know a girl that could get a golf ball half way down a 50' garden hose......how much pressure is that?[&:]
Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
w8ye

Most of those DLE carbs have a higher pop-off pressure than 10 lbs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.