Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 30 19x8 Xoar, beech or laminated?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 30 19x8 Xoar, beech or laminated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
tripower222
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 30 19x8 Xoar, beech or laminated?

Hoping Jody or TOM can chime in on this one.

Had a beech one, but broke it today on a dead stick landing, for the negligable price differance if the laminated is better I'll go that way this time. BTW I purchased it from Valley View the free pre drill is a very nice add on, I was nice to just bolt it on and go.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DLE 30 19x8 Xoar, beech or laminated?

The laminated prop is stiffer and better for 3D
Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The laminated prop is stiffer and better for 3D
The laminated props also seem to be made of harder woods ... they compress less than the straight Beech ones. On the down side, if you just touch the tip to the ground or happen to tick it on the wall taking it out of the hanger (house) the laminated ones seem to delaminate / split easier. Overall, I much prefer the laminated ones though.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry but one really needs to try them both on the same airframe to make that determination for themselves, there's a great deal of personal taste in prop selection. I have one 30cc plane that I prefer the 19x8 laminated on, another that flies best with a 19-3D-a. There's not that much difference between the BW and laminated of the same size and pitch but the BW will spool up a little faster because it's a little lighter, the laminated may give a little lower smoother idle. If you don't have a spare prop now I would recommend getting them both so you can try them on your airframe, flying the way you like to fly, to make the decision for yourself.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We like Jody are prop dealers and our overall customer base buys the standard props around 3 to 1
I do find that many of our customers demand the laminated props period.The laminated props are a stiffer prop. The price differential between the 2 props is insignificant. Remeber some people prefer a Chevy and some Prefer a Cadillac.