Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Hitec A9 Warning-Ignition Kills

Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hitec A9 Warning-Ignition Kills

The remark from 42% Products that the Rcexl switch is a knock off of theirs is a complete lie as is the remark about so many problems with the Rcexl switch. We've been a 42% products dealer for a few years, many of their products are very good and reliable, their worst product is anything that has to do switching electronic ignitions, the Zeus, Thor, and Opto-Gas Kill.. It got so bad recently with so many problems and switches with several different failure modes right out of the package that we had to test every switch before we sold them. The last order we received had more than a 10% failure rate right out of the package. The problems with the 42% switches is what prompted us to start selling the Rcexl units, to date we've sold over 100 Rcexl units and not had one single problem with any of them. I have a 6x6x6 box that is full of bad 42% ignition switches and not one Rcexl. The picture is self explanatory, doesn't look like a knock off to me, the Rcexl unit is also user modifiable to be used as an IBEC, the 42% unit is not. If you want the truth about 42% Products' electronicignition switching products you can't get it from 42%, that's the truth.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62474.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1623540  
Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did sense an odor to the quoted 42% comments. Smelled like a little prevarication.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 AM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijody

The remark from 42% Products that the Rcexl switch is a knock off of theirs is a complete lie as is the remark about so many problems with the Rcexl switch. We've been a 42% products dealer for a few years, many of their products are very good and reliable, their worst product is anything that has to do switching electronic ignitions, the Zeus, Thor, and Opto-Gas Kill.. It got so bad recently with so many problems and switches with several different failure modes right out of the package that we had to test every switch before we sold them. The last order we received had more than a 10% failure rate right out of the package. The problems with the 42% switches is what prompted us to start selling the Rcexl units, to date we've sold over 100 Rcexl units and not had one single problem with any of them. I have a 6x6x6 box that is full of bad 42% ignition switches and not one Rcexl. The picture is self explanatory, doesn't look like a knock off to me, the Rcexl unit is also user modifiable to be used as an IBEC, the 42% unit is not. If you want the truth about 42% Products' electronic ignition switching products you can't get it from 42%, that's the truth.
That is a real eye opener.........
I have two 42% switches and they are coming out.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 AM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they worked from the start they're fine, we weeded out the bad ones before they were sold. No problems with them if they worked from the get go.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I posted this on another forum dealing with this same subject.
I am on my 14th gallon of gas in a DL50 with a 42% opto kill, and it has been flawless. I purchased this 42% product almost 4 years ago. Their failure rate must have gotten much worse than when I purchased mine.
If you have one that works keep it in. I don't think it is suddenly going to fail.

Greg
Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTerry,

Thank you.

Andy
Old 06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
aussiesteve

Seems that after 42% did a "funding partnership" deal with "a major supplier" a couple of years back, the products have gone downhill. But I don't see anywhere on the hitec site that names them as the problem.

Smartfly, UltraRC and RCExcel all seem to have a great name out there. But then again, so has HiTec (on and off) over the years. I am sure this wil sort itself out eventually.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
AJsToyz

The information in the post is an unofficial post from Mike Mayberry from Hitec. I just posted what I found in another thread, and from what Mike from Hitec says, they have something in the works.

Sincerely

The bloody messenger.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

The information in the post is an unofficial post from Mike Mayberry from Hitec. I just posted what I found in another thread, and from what Mike from Hitec says, they have something in the works.

Sincerely

The bloody messenger.
I hope it is a firmware upgrade to 10 channels.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

I hope it is a firmware upgrade to 10 channels.
That would be nice!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: PT19 Hi I haven't looked at this post in a while was goint to buy an opto switch and got in all the talk. I have a pre April 2010 9 and I love it but I lost an old friend this week, blamed it on pilot error, now all this talk has me worried. Should I just send it back or is there something I can check.
http://<span style=''font-size: smal...</font></span>: Caution re Opti-kill, Duralite, Powerbox, Switches, Leads etc.
''28June 2011: ''Update Optic Kill Switches'': Okay so I know there is still concern about the use of Optical Kills with the Hitec system as we released a bulletin that we suggest they not be used due to a small amount of unexplained lockouts. Current there is no new info on if these indeed caused the problem but we are continuing to test. The biggest concern was that these lockouts would only recover if the power was cycled to the RX. There is a new firmware update that is currently being tested that allows the RX to reboot if the situation (which is still incredibly rare) does occur. Once the final testing is completed, it will be available to download. - Mike.''

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

[/quote]

Hmmm.... this was actually a quote but it didn't work out that way. Oh well, it is a cut & paste quote from another thread, just sharing.

Andy
Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 PM
AJsToyz

Originally Posted by Mike Mayberry View Post
No. If a signal loss or brownout occurs, it will recover. Note that Scan Mode is not gone in the latest 3.01 module update. It has been optimized so that you can select a fresh set of channels per your environment with scan, but it only operates in Normal mode now.

FYI: The RX firmware update V3.01 should be up in the next couple of days. There has been speculation (as there always is) as to the validity of this update and the causes of some of the problems we have seen; All I can say it this is a GOOD THING as it improves the noise rejection capability of the RX as well as includes a re-boot feature if is it affected so at least it has a chance to recover. If other factors are involved then they will be addressed as well as needed.

Mike.
Ok, well that didn't work so well, but it was from Mike Mayberry in the FG forums
Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 AM
AJsToyz

Optima Receiver Firmware Version 2.01 – Released July 31, 2011

Improved reboot and recovery methods after severe RF interference.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/support/firm...c24update.html
Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: fritzdecat

"A gazillion engine kill systems out there on a gazillion different TX/RX combos and one TX/RX comes up with a problem. I would tend to favor the opinion that the problem lies with the TX/RXnotthe optical kill."

Would you also recognize the fact that there are many factors involving the coupling of a gas engine and a 2.4 system that could also lead to failure? Some people want to fixate on the switch LOL Theres more than one gremlin in
this mess I assure you.

How many factors are there?

Couple a servo to a Rx. Simple plug and play operation.
Assuming the Rx has enough ports to accept further inputs, an Opto kill switch is just another device that receives a command decoded from the Tx. There no Gazzillion and one things to go wrong.
Even if a opto Kill fails its takes power from a Rx. Does that circuit failure spike the Rx circuit and overload it> I highly doubt it. If a light bulb fuses does it take down the Main distribution board? Only if there is a problem with the distribution board.

So whats left? Users and two pieces of equipment.
Users, well yes people get things wrong but how wrong can you hook up a gassers electrics. Errrmmm Ignition to battery. Right thats isolated. Throttle servo to Port 3 on Rx.
So assuming theres not a continuus metal pathway from engine to Rx, we're good to go.

Equipment: is it possible that the equipment is susceptible to RFI?

All that is clear is that there id far too little information available to make conclusive deductions either way
Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 AM
fritzdecat

There no Gazzillion and one things to go wrong.

yes there are

it is not bullet proof

the latest news is that it was not the ignition kill but rather ignition noise