Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE170cc Autostart System

Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Umran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE170cc Autostart System

Dear All,
I work on 2 engines at the same time, the MLD70cc twin and this DLE170cc. Both engines the machining parts to complete the start system is basically done. However only just now i managed to complete the restoration of the DLE170. This engine is brand new and no buyer yet, therefore at this moment it will not be installed on my bench for further starting. All i can show now is the dry crank of this engine. Looking at the achieved cranking speed, i'm quite sure it will start with ease.

With a massive amount of engine negative torque, i had to work very hard to to make ends meet. Finally just now i managed, please view this video below, thanks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6QzzuXE-Dg[/youtube]

Kindly leave a comment.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: DLE170cc Autostart System

Looks good Umran.

These auto starts like the FEMA where always to expensive and heavy for the little glow models most people flew but with people flying huge gas planes I think the onboard starters are more practical.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Umran

Thanks Amish.

Anyway let me describe the history a bit on the development of this start system.

Yes for a long time i had the intention of developing it after successfully developed DLE111 and DLE222 start system. One can search out threads that i open for those auto start systems. With it i received so many queries on developing some other engine type start system. Some even asked for MOKI 5 cyc radial start system for a more realistic scale airplanes. On that MOKI engine, i'm sorry, i do not have the engine physically nor do i have the detail drawings, so can't help out on that. But seriously i would love to do it.

For this 170cc, a youtube friend by the name of Mr Jason (http://www.youtube.com/user/kymerajet) told me he has given up trying to make an auto start system from frontal drive. From his youtube channel and his website www.kymerabodyboard.com, i believe he is developing some sort of motorized surf board and this 170cc will be used to power one of his body board. Due to failures i believe he then asked me to develop the start system for this engine type. This was in Mei if i remember correctly. I told him that i'm a bit tight-up at that moment as i have to prepare the ground work for our new aircraft fleet i.e. A380 (to those who doesn't know me, I'm an aeronautical engineer working for Malaysia Airline). Maybe in September i'll have a bit of time for this.

In mid August, he contacted me again for this system. I said okay, the choices are either getting it together with the engine or just the start system kit only. He choose the later. With that, a new approached must be in place.

I must develop this system so that a very minimal work needed by the engine owner to get it installed. If one browse my previous threads, one can see the work involve to mod the engine is quite extensive. But this time around, the external shaft will come as a kit. Some help also from DLE engine manufacturer as they supplied the engines with a sealed type rear bearing.

The same concept will be used for other engine type as well. Below are the research and development cost of this system,

1. Bearings x 5 = rm80
2. Gears multiple size and material = rm350
3. 6mm CNC brackets x 2 = rm200
4. 13 Machined Parts = rm630
5. Engine Mod = rm140
6. BL Motor = rm180
7. Nut and Bolts = rm20
8. Traveling cost NILAI to SG. BESI and back x 5 = rm125

Total = rm1725 or USD575. The one that has not been included is ESC 60Amp, battery, my designing time and labor. In fact for this particular system i got a new vendor to do the machining, the results are super precise, the tolerance is within 0.03mm. Impressive! In fact when i assembled everything, the smoothness of the system is simply superb.

And with that, the system is now up and running.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM
bignuts181

Nice work! any details on the 340??? you mentioned elsewhere..... have a really big pawnee in mind
Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Umran

ORIGINAL: bignuts181

Nice work! any details on the 340??? you mentioned elsewhere..... have a really big pawnee in mind

It can be done with relative ease.