Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here
View Poll Results: A poll
Smart Fly Ign Kill Switch
41.88%
Choke Servo
17.80%
42% Prod Ign Kill Switch
21.99%
Other...PLease Explain
18.32%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

I recently had a throttle servo box "unglue" on one of my gassers... it was at a hairy rpm... it was so low that i couldnt safely fly it till it ran out of gas, so i decided to bring her in hot, and ended up doing a ton of damage when the landing gear came off... it did fuse and rear stab damage.

Would you use a choke servo to kill the engine in a situation like this or use a device like a Samrt FLy or 42% prod kill switch activated via transmitter.... just curious to what the majority here would do
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Default RE: Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

is this a 42% kill switch? http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=777213
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

Sure hope your ready for all the flak you'll be getting in such a survey.[][sm=punching.gif]
It's going to be like asking which oil is best.

The old guard on RCU will hammer ya for even thinking such thoughts of an ign kill.[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
The more forward thinking will tell ya which ign kill is best to them & why ya need one.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Who's got the pop corn?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

And where do those of us who use neither the Smart-fly nor 42% kill switches vote?

Dan
Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I use Opti kills on my gas engines...

Have used both Smart Fly and Electro Dynamics.. both have worked perfectly.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

I recently had a throttle servo box ''unglue'' on one of my gassers... it was at a hairy rpm... it was so low that i couldnt safely fly it till it ran out of gas, so i decided to bring her in hot, and ended up doing a ton of damage when the landing gear came off... it did fuse and rear stab damage.

Would you use a choke servo to kill the engine in a situation like this or use a device like a Samrt FLy or 42% prod kill switch activated via transmitter.... just curious to what the majority here would do
Sorry to hear about your plane

Maybe you could have more options in your poll?
The Rcexl opti-kill and possibly a microswitch activated by a servo which is the "old way" of remote engine kill?
I have for years used that method on magneto engines like the Zenoah range
Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 AM
MetallicaJunkie

added the "other" Option....

The old guard on RCU will hammer ya for even thinking such thoughts of an ign kill.
T.O.M. hehe
Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM
clivemc

tx based kill switch - RCEXL if that fails throttle trim, i dont use choke servos......
Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 AM
a1pcfixer

added the ''other'' Option....

The old guard on RCU will hammer ya for even thinking such thoughts of an ign kill.
T.O.M. hehe
You coy devil you![8D]
Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

RcExl Opto Kill Sw on ignition engines.

42% Products Z-Kill on magneto engines.

Dan
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Tired Old Man

Explanation: no additional emergency kill methods.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Rocketman_

The RCATS RC-100 electronic switch worked perfectly for me for two different problems on two different engines. The first engine would drop to a very low idle when the throttle was tightly closed but would not stop. The RCATS stopped it instantly. The second engine developed a throttle linkage interference problem ( my fault) and idled too fast to land. I used the RCATS to kill it during the approach to the runway.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM
stevenmax50

is this a 42% kill switch? http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=777213

That ad was just a little suspicious to me. It was kinda over the top with the "buy American" thing. Iam all about buy American. Iam constantly on my soapbox about it. Just something about that ad was odd.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

what would you do if your throttle servo mount broke, your servo died, or servo arm come loose?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
a1pcfixer

Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

That ad was just a little suspicious to me. It was kinda over the top with the ''buy American'' thing. I am all about buy American. I am constantly on my soapbox about it. Just something about that ad was odd.
i agree
Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM
aussiesteve

what would you do if your throttle servo mount broke, your servo died, or servo arm come loose?
Whilst I am not the person the question is directed to, my answer to it is:

I would land the plane deadstick.

I leave my throttle return springs connected and I remove the idle stop screw for exactly that reason !!!

FWIW. Many of my planes have kill switches on them, usually either the Smartfly Kill switch or the Ultra RC IBEC on them and those are the only ones I will now purchase as they are the 2 best products in the class - by far IMHO.
Some have choke servos also. I have found that when using the choke to kill the engine it is ready and primed for the next start and it only takes a single flick to get flying for the next flight - not really relevant though when it is a component failure that causes that kill method to be used.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

yummy[8D]
Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Tired Old Man

Fly till till the tank was empty or land if the RPM was low. Some of us are good enough to be qualified at high speed flying and also touch down the add a little bit of down elevator to break a prop if desired.

Done all of it over the years.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Whilst I am not the person the question is directed to, my answer to it is:

I would land the plane deadstick.

I leave my throttle return springs connected and I remove the idle stop screw for exactly that reason !!!

ive had a throttle servo die and it stayed hard...no way a spring would return it ..... i have my spring still attached to the motor that the servo box came unglued and it wasnt enough to kill the motor....the servo mount must have hung up or snagged... in a way thats not always the best thing to happen.... i like to fly low and if it were to quit on me in a bad spot low, it could be disastrous.....

i think ill go with a choke servo on my soon to be repaired mx2, and smart fly on my new pilot yak
Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Fly till till the tank was empty or land if the RPM was low. Some of us are good enough to be qualified at high speed flying and also touch down the add a little bit of down elevator to break a prop if desired.

Done all of it over the years.

good answer!!! i feel like a post *****
Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Greenfuelboy
My Feedback: (60)

I use a RCEXL Opto Engine Kill Switch with my BME 50cc gas engine. It works great and at $22.95 the price is good too.

This will take you to the RCEXL link for more information.

http://magnumrc.com/rcexl-opto-engin...bbb04be219c343
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
raptureboy

Rcexell from valley view RC, I like having another method when all else fails. It just happened to a guy at our field with a big biplane, the engine box broke off despite being pinned and he had no way to kill the engine because the servo's for the choke and throttle were jammed. For a few dollars it adds some piece of mind and it saves breaking expensive props to kill an engine[&:] Now that's using your nogen T.O.M
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

There is no right or wrong here. A choke servo is a good idea, it helps you to start your engine, when you can not reach the carb. Shutting down with the choke might take a little longer than killing the ignition.
I use a RcExl optical kill switch. No problems so far and happy with the setup. Only downside is that it won't work with a Y-cable on the throttle. It needs a separate channel. But so does the choke servo.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Tired Old Man

I only mentioned what I do. Steve effectively mentioned what a throttle return spring is really good for. Been in that situation once too and it did a fine job of instantly killing the engine. Since I don't fly a weed eater I don't have any use for an idle stop screw.

Others will do what they will. Once people are convinced the sky is falling it's impossible to get them to remove their hands from over their heads. Pick your poison and live with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.