Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NGH 35 CC Gas engine.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:17 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I lost the 109 when a HK gyro malfunctioned and interfered with the receiver. Plane started fishtailing, then wing wagging and up and down. Finally rolled over and straight down into soft mud. It seemed the engine survived. Measured the prop shaft. Seems like it is straight. So mounted it in a 72" wingspan KMP Hurricane which was underpowered with a RCGF 20 cc engine with a lot of nose weight in the form of heavy washers and a heavy hub. CG is the same. Test flew the other day. Hurricane weights 13.7 lbs. Only gained about 6 oz because I was able to take out the dead weight. More than enough power. Very good vertical, faster than before but not as much as I expected from almost 80% increase in power. Turning a 16-10 Master Airscrew 3 blade prop at 8,300 rpm. The engine is still doing ok with the after market muffler. About half the carb is out side the cowl and I was concerned about leaning out in flight, so had it somewhat rich. Seemed to do fine.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Loosing a plane sucks, but then all of them have an expiry date. Good to hear that the Agape muffler is holding well
Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 AM
snauwaertj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a nhh 35 gt R @ HK and am breaking it in at the moment.
It ran 2 liters of 1/30 gasoline, and this is what I noticed until now.
It seems impossible to start by hand, I need to run my electric starter for many seconds every time.
It leaks feul @ the front bearing, this makes the sparksensor wet, and is probably the reason for the bad starting.
When it runs, it runs fine.
Any advise?
I have seen youtubefilms that start this same engine by one hand flip!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 AM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find out where the gas is leaking from and and check to see if there is a compression leak and a vacuum leak by spraying some soapy water on the cylinder head and flipping the prop simple and easy
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 AM
mchandrayan

Out of box my NGH 35 had started in few flips by hand, and has always been an easy one to start. My engiine was mounted inverted on the model and i too noticed oil residue on the prop hub and sensor pickup, but my take was that this was blowby from the carb. I did install a venturi on the engine and the oil residue on the hub and pickup did go away to an extent being unoticeable.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM
snauwaertj

Will try the soapy water to see if I have compression leaks.
How do you guys have put the timing? I moved it as much in rotation direction as possible.
Do you use the original spark plug, or should I get a NGK?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM
snauwaertj

Today I mounted a new bearing in the front an got the leak perfectly sealed.
I noticed when the engine was back on the teststand it does not suck fuel when I choke.
I spent several houres checking everything on the carb, but everything looks ok.
Damn bad engine!
Old 08-10-2019, 10:09 PM
coleboom

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default piston ring noise

I have been flying my 35 RE for a while now... and It runs great and has since new... There is an issue though and am wondering if any one else has seen this

there is a metalic clicking when I swing the prop back and forth (not while running, of course.....

I have discovered that the ring can move up and down sightly in the ring groove and this seems to the source of this sound....

here us a vid of this engine pulling around my Smoothie XL.... skip to the last few seconds when the engine is idling and is killed you will hear the sound.....
Old 08-12-2019, 05:07 AM
mchandrayan

If I remember the clicking noise had me worried as well. But have had not adverse effects
Old 08-13-2019, 09:35 AM
coleboom

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coleboom
I have been flying my 35 RE for a while now... and It runs great and has since new... There is an issue though and am wondering if any one else has seen this

there is a metalic clicking when I swing the prop back and forth (not while running, of course.....

I have discovered that the ring can move up and down sightly in the ring groove and this seems to the source of this sound....

here us a vid of this engine pulling around my Smoothie XL.... skip to the last few seconds when the engine is idling and is killed you will hear the sound.....
here is the video I forgot to paste it last visit
Old 07-31-2021, 07:59 AM
RBean

I have an NGH 35R. Ran good for a while, then recently began to have strange surging sound while in flight. The sagged in manuvors. Richened up high needle. Then in flight it sagged and quit. Able to land ok. The aluminum spinner was very hot. Front bearing had lots of play. It was shot. So I disassembled the engine, got the bearings out with out much trouble. Measured and ordered bearings from Bocca Bearings. They came in. I heated the block in the oven at 300 degrees. The front bearing went in a seated ok. The rear bearing needed a little help. Put crank shaft through and tapped wooden block with small hammer on rear of crank shaft. Bearing finally seated.

Reassembled the engine. I never took the piston out of the cylinder. The engine has good compression, you flip the prop and it bounced back and forth. not binding. But engine won't run correctly. Difficult to start. Choke, it fires. Choke off it runs a little then quits. Sometimes will finally run, but won't turn up power. Adjusting needles does not help. Tried another carb. The same. Used different fuel tank and line. The same. Changed plug. No change. Adjusted timing. The same. Any engine expert have any suggestions?

And yes, I have the carb gasket correct for the pump pulse.

Last edited by RBean; 07-31-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:36 PM
SIX GUNS

Originally Posted by RBean
I have an NGH 35R. Ran good for a while, then recently began to have strange surging sound while in flight. The sagged in manuvors. Richened up high needle. Then in flight it sagged and quit. Able to land ok. The aluminum spinner was very hot. Front bearing had lots of play. It was shot. So I disassembled the engine, got the bearings out with out much trouble. Measured and ordered bearings from Bocca Bearings. They came in. I heated the block in the oven at 300 degrees. The front bearing went in a seated ok. The rear bearing needed a little help. Put crank shaft through and tapped wooden block with small hammer on rear of crank shaft. Bearing finally seated.

Reassembled the engine. I never took the pistol out of the cylinder. The engine has good compression, you flip the prop and it bounced back and forth. not binding. But engine won't run correctly. Difficult to start. Choke, it fires. Choke off it runs a little then quits. Sometimes will finally run, but won't turn up power. Adjusting needles does not help. Tried another carb. The same. Used different fuel tank and line. The same. Changed plug. No change. Adjusted timing. The same. Any engine expert have any suggestions?

And yes, I have the carb gasket correct for the pump pulse.
did you remove the cylinder??
Old 07-31-2021, 05:55 PM
RBean

I found the problem. The cylinder liner had rotated and was not lined up with the ports. Now fixed. Will test run tomorrow. Usually these cylinder liners don't move at all. My fault for not checking.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:28 PM
Turk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those NGH Engine's best feature is to be so simple, glowlike design/ assembly. Easy to diagnose/ fix.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:06 PM
RBean

Test ran the engine today. Started easy and ran ok with the cylinder liner correctly alined. Turk1, easy for some people.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:36 PM
SIX GUNS

Was there a pin on the crankcase and a hole in the cylinder liner to match up to some engines have that for easy assembly 🤔
Old 05-24-2022, 02:42 PM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

I need a prop shaft extension for the NGH GT35R. The carb is too close to the cowl and will not let enough shaft to come through to mount a prop! DUMB DESIGN!