Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tired Old Man and Jody

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blw

The only way to cook a Boston butt is over a fire for about 5 hours.

i like mine smoked....but over a fire is better than in an oven [8D]
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Personally I have always found the ''Search'' function here to be cumbersome, often difficult, and a general PITA. Often I want to refer to something that I KNOW was posted within the past couple of months for example, and an hour later I am still battling to find it. (And I am quite computer literate.) Capt,n[img][/img]

+100
Old 12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

If a newbie asks a question in the woods about gas engines, and T.O.M is not there to hear, is the newbie still stupid and lazy?[X(]
That's funny, I don't care who you are!

There has been plenty of opinions and bull thrown around here. Guess we need a wikirc site or a rc snoopes to wade thru it all.

Just remember, it's a hobby, buy what you really like and want to own. The day you try to sell your collection of crap you'll find it's pretty much worthless, even the really collectable stuff unless you have the right buyer. You or your widow will be giving it away.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

Just remember, it's a hobby, buy what you really like and want to own. The day you try to sell your collection of crap you'll find it's pretty much worthless, even the really collectable stuff unless you have the right buyer. You or your widow will be giving it away.
That's about the truest statement I have seen around here in a long time
Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM
aussiesteve

I also tried out this recipe over the weekend - worked out real good on some Ribs I did in the wood oven

• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup vinegar
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon cayenne
Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Personally I have always found the ''Search'' function here to be cumbersome, often difficult, and a general PITA. Often I want to refer to something that I KNOW was posted within the past couple of months for example, and an hour later I am still battling to find it. (And I am quite computer literate.) Capt,n[img][/img]

+100
x2

i usually resort to yahoo....i type what im looking for and use rcuniverse in the search string and it takes me where i want to go
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
captinjohn

Another thing easy to do is when you are reading a post...you can cut, copy and paste any part of any words in a post& paste it in your search bar on top of your computor screen. That will take you to more detailed data . Just use back arrow to get back to the thread you was reading? Fast and easy! Capt,n
Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
PlaneKrazee

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10815603

Jody's last post (aside from replying here) was one day prior to the OS GT33 issues. Wish he stuck around one more day to help the competition.

The link was supposed to bring you to post #117 in that thread.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
aussiesteve

There are 2 search functions available here.
The one I find is the most useful is the one in the "Forums" dropdown. It gives the "old search" option.

As MetallicaJunkie mentioned. A Google / Yahoo etc serch usually finds it even quicker. The beauty of those searches is they look up all forums as often the same discussion will appear on other groups.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

I also tried out this recipe over the weekend - worked out real good on some Ribs I did in the wood oven

• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup vinegar
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon cayenne
Had applewood smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. Cooked at 200*f until done. The dark meat was like pudding and the breasts juicy and tender.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

You guys are making me hungry. I had fast food for supper and it leaves me with a less than satisfied feeling.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Bass1

Brunswick stew (or beef in a pinch) is a perfect "winter' dish to prepare and have on hand when you get hungry (during and after) rebuilding all those carbs for the next flying season[8D]..
Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
NM2K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's about the truest statement I have seen around here in a long time

I'm finding this to be true, as well. Tons of money invested in outdated toys. Money that I will never regain. Oh well. At least I could afford to buy it in the first place. I wish I had a healthy son (even daughters) to help carry it off. I don't want strangers coming to my home.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 PM
captinjohn

There are 2 search functions available here.
The one I find is the most useful is the one in the "Forums" dropdown. It gives the "old search" option.

As MetallicaJunkie mentioned. A Google / Yahoo etc serch usually finds it even quicker. The beauty of those searches is they look up all forums as often the same discussion will appear on other groups.
+1
Old 12-14-2011, 07:26 AM
RoyR

I'm finding this to be true, as well. Tons of money invested in outdated toys. Money that I will never regain. Oh well. At least I could afford to buy it in the first place. I wish I had a healthy son (even daughters) to help carry it off. I don't want strangers coming to my home.

Ed Cregger

Ok I just can't see this line of reasoning. I once spent over $300 on a meal for 4 at Ruth's Chris. It was pretty, and it tasted good, but within an hour all I had was heartburn and a smaller bank account.

I have spent hundreds of dollars at a time going to Football games or Baseball games and having their hotdogs and beer (and spent even more when staying the night in a hotel) only to see my team lose. When I get home there is nothing to show for it except the ticket stub in my pocket.

I have spent thousands of dollars on a vacation, which was fun while it lasted, but now only a memory.

Over my lifetime I have spent many thousands of dollar on things that I get no monetary return from, and I also plan on doing all of that again and again because we enjoy it. (Except for the Ruth's Chris, that was probably a one time deal)

Yet I have airplanes that I still fly that are over 20 years old. Sure I have put a lot of money and time building some, and buying ARFs. And many of those have been crashed beyond repair. Yet from most of the crashes I have the engine or servos, or radio, landing gear, you name it, on another plane. I keep my planes on display in my shop, not because I want to show them off, or have someone make me an offer, but because I like looking at them and remembering the fun they have been.

If anyone is worried about how much they have spent over the years they are in the wrong hobby. That also goes for any hobby.
Just as I didn’t get a refund every time I went to a game and my team lost, I have never bought an airplane wondering what I could sell it for when I'm tired of it. (and I have never gotten tired of an airplane that still flew)

To be honest, I have never met anyone with that attitude. Most of the guys I have known in the hobby will swap their stuff for something else, sell it for many times less than it is worth just to help a friend, or give it away. They may complain at the price of a servo for their large gasser, but they buy it anyway rather than flying smaller planes, because that is what they like doing.

To put it in perspective I have spent thousands of dollars for airplanes in my lifetime.
Yet I have spent many hundreds of thousands of dollars on cars and pickups and only recovered a small fraction on a trade in. I didn’t have to buy new cars, or even fancy cars, but I did. I bought what I wanted.

My daughter and son-in-law regularly go to concerts and spend more on a single weekend than I spend on the average for an airplane. Yet they have never voiced being sorry they spent the money.

So looking back on all the money you have spent over your lifetime, does that make you sad that you could have that money sitting in a bank and be living in a one room shack, having never done anything just for the enjoyment of doing it? Or maybe it was worth a few hundred dollars to be out doing something fun?

So back to the original thought: Why in the world would someone do something of their own will, which they really don't like doing, and then start making up reasons they shouldn't be doing it?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM
PlaneKrazee

Roy,

Point is, it's a hobby. Buy what you really want to use. Don't buy something because you think it might be worth something someday, it won't. If you buy cheap you get cheap. If you buy inexpensive you might get quality if you buy expensive you get bragging rights until the next wiz bang product comes out.

Our society has changed greatly from when I was a boy. How many people do you know that need storage units to house things they will never use because they had to have it. Hoarding is a sickness. Lot's of "Collectors" are just hoarders of more expensive crap.

The only things worth anything are your health, family and true friends. People need to appreciate more of what they already have around them. A lifetime of memories, friends and family who think of you fondly and remember how nice you were is better than any toy you can own.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

The only things worth anything are your health, family and true friends. People need to appreciate more of what they already have around them. A lifetime of memories, friends and family who think of you fondly and remember how nice you were is better than any toy you can own.
Very well said and a lot of truth to it!
Life is too short to get upset, worked up or bear grudges if we don't get sugarcoated responses from everyone around us. Often the most genuine and honest people are the ones who come straight to the point and don't bother with political correctness or tiptoe around issues.
People like T.O.M. and to an extent Jody fall into that category in my mind.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

So very true Ari....
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM
captinjohn

"Often the most genuine and honest people are the ones who come straight to the point and don't bother with political correctness or tiptoe around issues". A good point for sure and I would say, it fits Antique very well too. That is why I quoted it. Capt,n
Old 12-14-2011, 12:40 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

No truer words have been spoken
Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Bass1

Tons of money invested in outdated toys. Money that I will never regain. Oh well. At least I could afford to buy it in the first place. I wish I had a healthy son (even daughters) to help carry it off. I don't want strangers coming to my home.
Hey Ed, I can be your "healthy son" figure if you'd like and help carry off some of your outdated toys. I'm not that strange...Come to think of it, not that healthy either[]
Old 12-15-2011, 01:37 AM
NM2K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Tons of money invested in outdated toys. Money that I will never regain. Oh well. At least I could afford to buy it in the first place. I wish I had a healthy son (even daughters) to help carry it off. I don't want strangers coming to my home.
Hey Ed, I can be your ''healthy son'' figure if you'd like and help carry off some of your outdated toys. I'm not that strange...Come to think of it, not that healthy either[]

I'll keep your offer in mind. Thanks.

I went through most of my life without a single surgery. This last ten years has been another matter entirely. Old ideas of when I'll get around to doing this or that have gone out of the window. This is why I have so much surplus stuff. Of course, to some of our rich RCU friends, my stuff wouldn't even make a decent bon fire, and that is okay. We each have different paths to walk in life.

Ed, NM2K
Old 12-15-2011, 01:41 AM
cuwaert

I don't know what happened but it seems people left the forum for some reason.
I 've seen TOM contributing in this forum quite a lot and I'm sure JODY did that too.
Well it's a forum, one says, one disagrees and some get mad for some reason and if it
get's to you it's better indeed to stop it but I don't know what took them over the edge.
The rather rude assaults sometimes to be witnessed is something to be expected in any
forum or chat because there is no eye to eye contact that takes away some natural
restrictions. It's particular disturbing when it's nothing to do with the actual point
being discussed.
Aircraft RC is, by it's very nature,a very technical orientated hobby and quite unforgiving
for all kinds of mistakes so we all want to get it wright and that makes it irritating
if we think someone is telling stories and hence the irritation is in good faith and so
is the chouting, it's by far not always because we're smartasses.
Nobody has the monopoly of the truth.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Whistling Death

Very well said cuwaert.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.