Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Tired Old Man and Jody

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:47 PM
MercerAUST

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tired Old Man and Jody

It's a bit funny. Someone leaves the forum so they don't waste time getting sucked into endless and circular debates , but they still get a thread dedicated to them which is endless and circular!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Sure people come in and ask the same questions all the time but why instead of being harsh did he not take a little time and put together a FAQ sheet and simply PM it to the person who was asking the question?
Really? It's his responsibility to put together an FAQ together for people that won't take any amount of time to search for the answer? There is already a huge newb FAQ on the top of this forum. Did you know that?

Just today a guy started another thread on the RCG 26 when there is already 2 page thread. Not only is there already a thread on the RCG 26 but it was only on the second page of threads.

People come in here asking questions about arfs, plane builds, batteries, etc., when there are huge forums already devoted to the subject. Why? because they didn't take 30 seconds to search the forum subjects.

It gets old.

Did I think T.O.M. was harsh to people? Yes, because he was. Was it necessary? Not really. Do I understand why? You bet I do.
I agree, some people are lazy. T.O.M put himself into a situation of authority and with that there are things that come with the territory. Just the same as an actor or singer who then wants to complain that they have no privicy. He created the situation in the beginning to help people I think we can agree on that but I feel it was ego driven the past year or so and he now did the smart thing and realized it was no longer enjoyable and has moved on. And yes it was his resposability , like I said he wanted the attention, he put himself in that position.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

I think it is a shame. I learn alot reading Jody and TOM, cranky maybe, knowlegable certanly, needed on these forums for advice, YOU BET!

Chris923
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Lightning Fan
My Feedback: (17)

They both helped me, with direct responses to requests for help. Yes, I felt like I needed to do my homework, and when I missed something obvious, I was ready to take a beating. But my experience was that as long as you were in the game to solve the problem by researching yourself, they helped and were reasonable.
I'll take solace in the huge legacy of posts that they leave behind. Most of our answers are there.

If you guys see this, thanks again.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some very hilarious and truthful posts here by those that get it, the rest are clueless which is not surprising.

For what it's worth, I left this site first in disgust of empty and thoughtless attitudes, Pat followed soon after. Too many here these days have the frame of mind they are at the drive up window of RC gas engine information, that's just plain laziness. Pat and I both grew up in a time and place where it was irresponsible to not at least make an effort to ask an educated question. My father taught me to look first then cross the street, doing it the other way around could at times bring undesirable consequences. Many here would not understand that, they would just jump out into the street and feel personally attacked when a car hit them.

I won't speak for Pat but as for myself, Steve and Pe hit the nails on the head. I'm tired of dealing with people that don't view or approach the hobby the same way I did when I started over 40 years ago. It's supposed to be fun and a learning experience. The best way to learn is do things....on your own! Stopping into a website forum and shooting of a thoughtless question for a quick answer is not learning. Think back to school, teachers give students overviews and guidance, it's up to the student to find the details and study them. Then, if there are questions they will be from a perspective of study, not like the student didn't bother to even look in the text book (RTFM!). Remember, there's a test later, for those here it's called flight, failing the test can be expensive. So learning, REAL learning, is important.

As was mentioned earlier, we're not dealing with rockets going to the moon. These engines and planes are toys, are VERY simple, they ALL operate the same. Does anyone really think they can come up with a problem or question that hasn't been asked before......umpteen times? But again, it's not the questions, it's the lack of effort exerted to ask an intelligent one.

I've been working professionally with two stroke engines of all sizes, fuel types, and configurations for three decades and still counting, they pay me well for it and I love it. Pat, not nearly as long as I but his experience, for the most part, has been extremely intense and detailed. His knowledge of the hobby gas engine (and many other things) is extremely broad scoped and beyond approach.

I do miss the days here of actually learning together, when all involved actually got involved, instead of just demanding a fast answer. I doubt either of us will be back here anytime soon, this place needs to grow up a bit ....again. There are only a couple truly knowledgeable engine people left that frequent this forum, I hope for them they do not stay if they find their passion waning. This is my last post on this site for the foreseeable future and I will not log in to check for PMs. For those that can figure it out this site has the capability to send email, I will reply to any and all that care to use that feature. Or we both can be found here; www.teamflyingcircus.com

But if you go there, you better have put your big girl panties on.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

It's folks like you that deny all the work in answering the same questions over and over again, and thus make a dedicated person leave the forum.
Ask yourself who is the dumb-ass here, if experience does not count anymore.
ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Aww. They took their ball and went home? Maybe they didn't get enough pats on the back and bowing from the waist.

Someone else will step up. They always do. It's not like 2 stroke gas engines are rocket science.
If the "Repeat", "You/Should/Have/Known", questions upset these guys so much, why not just pass?....Why do they feel compelled to respond? ....Never mind, I think know why....Could it be, their "Ego" needs massaging at the expense of the O/P ?....
Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 PM
tl671

they would just jump out into the street and feel personally attacked when a car hit them.
Sounds like society in general as of late.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:59 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: tl671

they would just jump out into the street and feel personally attacked when a car hit them.
Sounds like society in general as of late.
ding ding ding ding ding...............................We have a winner !!!!

Unlike the post made by tande and others, who just don't and probably never will 'get it'.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Aww. They took their ball and went home? Maybe they didn't get enough pats on the back and bowing from the waist.

Someone else will step up. They always do. It's not like 2 stroke gas engines are rocket science.

well if your so smart why don't you step up and take both of there place,and show us how much you know.
what a assnine statement!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:50 AM
the pope

I heard they went on a gay road trip. I could be wrong though. Cheers the pope
Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Mr_Grump

Speaking of Grumps.... I had to chime in, obviously.

People like Jody, T.O.M., Antique, and yea, even me, if the topics about my particular speciality, have earned they're reputation. They know what they're talking about. They're constantly asked what most of us would consider dumb questions. It gets old. My grumpy personality bubbles to the surface when I answer a, simple to me, question and I get responses from those who obviously don't know what they're talking about.

I know I've been one of those whos asked dumb questions. However, most of these Grumps have always responded with good advice. I do research the forums but I find many of the threads are in my opinion old. The hobby evolves rapidly and over time, opinions change based on continued use of a product.

Here's a good example from me personally. Until recently, I'd never heard of Redline oil. There are several reasons for that. One, I don't have a lot of room and I like large planes. Therefore, not a lot of engine experience. Another reason is my small club has only a couple of gas fliers and I'm one of them. I got educated by some of the Grumps mentioned above and many not-so-grumpy's who were willing to share their opinion. Their input was greatly appreciated.

That's my 2 cents...

Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I, for one, am grateful for their advice and would like to thank them for the knowledge they shared. I had a few professors in college that were a lot grumpier, and you were inclined to do as much research as possible before you asked them an elementary question!

Hope you two chime in again when you are so inclined. Again, thanks to both of you!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:43 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Lifer

I, for one, am grateful for their advice and would like to thank them for the knowledge they shared. I had a few professors in college that were a lot grumpier, and you were inclined to do as much research as possible before you asked them an elementary question!

Hope you two chime in again when you are so inclined. Again, thanks to both of you!
+1
Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 AM
skillet92

I for one want to thank these guys for thier time and effort that they put into these forums. I will still use this forum because it still has great info.( just search guys), but i will be going to the "other" site more for info. I consider myself pretty good at tuning and running these engines. But i still like to get help from people that really know when i get stumped.

And to all the guys that get offended by there comments maybe you should grow some thicker skin or do just a little bit of research before you ask a question that has been answered 100s of times before.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 AM
tony0707

hi
GOLDEN RULE
if you ain't got nothing good to postdon't post anything at all !!
no matter how experienced and knowledgeable you may THINK you are on a given subject
no one is twisting your arm to answer questions on RCU
SO GO AWAY if you cannot add constructive information in a positive way and enjoy it

just my .02 cents

BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 12-02-2011, 06:41 AM
willig10

All:
I believe T.O.M. and Jody were and are a wealth of knowledge. I also believe that T.O.M. was just "Grumpy". I understand his frustration when it comes to a question that has been asked numerous times.

I also believe that RCuniverse could make the "forum" search engine better and instead of forwarding your search to the web it could be forwarded internally to the forum you are looking for. Due to this a lot of modelers don't bother looking up past subjects and just ask their question in "REAL" time.

As I have stated in past debates with Pat (T.O.M.) his demeanor could have been better and instead of wasting his time pounding out his frustrations here on RCU he could have just re-answered the question or gave the ones who asked previous answered questions a link to his past answers.

Although Pat and Jody have decided to remain quiet, there are many others who can answer questions and assist those in need. After all, this hobby is meant to be shared with all and nothing should be territorial or tribal knowledge.

As I have always said. If you do not want toanswer a question or if it makes you upset that someone even dared to ask thesame question more than once. "Feel free not to answer"

I have no problem assisting those who need help and if I do not know theanswer, I will either notrespond or do some research until Ifind the answer and then post.

I wish both T.O.M. and Jody well,however I do believe there are plenty of resources aroundto help out with answering peoples questions.

My 2pennies worth

Glenn Williams
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: jedijody

For those that can figure it out this site has the capability to send email, I will reply to any and all that care to use that feature. Or we both can be found here; www.teamflyingcircus.com

But if you go there, you better have put your big girl panties on.
Looks like it's just a 3D flyer site.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Lifer

I, too, am gratefull for the knowledge they shared. The college professors I had did not suffer fools gladly. It's part of the educational process, at least in higher learning. I find that quite common in most result oriented endeavors, be it education, science, sports or business.

Too often, the education level on these forums is more at the day care level.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:43 AM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: willig10

All:
I believe T.O.M. and Jody were and are a wealth of knowledge. I also believe that T.O.M. was just ''Grumpy''. I understand his frustration when it comes to a question that has been asked numerous times.

I also believe that RCuniverse could make the ''forum'' search engine better and instead of forwarding your search to the web it could be forwarded internally to the forum you are looking for. Due to this a lot of modelers don't bother looking up past subjects and just ask their question in ''REAL'' time.

As I have stated in past debates with Pat (T.O.M.) his demeanor could have been better and instead of wasting his time pounding out his frustrations here on RCU he could have just re-answered the question or gave the ones who asked previous answered questions a link to his past answers.

Although Pat and Jody have decided to remain quiet, there are many others who can answer questions and assist those in need. After all, this hobby is meant to be shared with all and nothing should be territorial or tribal knowledge.

As I have always said. If you do not want to answer a question or if it makes you upset that someone even dared to ask the same question more than once. ''Feel free not to answer''

I have no problem assisting those who need help and if I do not know the answer, I will either not respond or do some research until I find the answer and then post.

I wish both T.O.M. and Jody well, however I do believe there are plenty of resources around to help out with answering peoples questions.

My 2 pennies worth

Glenn Williams

I copied the whole post because I want to say I agree completely. If you've heard the question a million times and it makes you mad, why spend more time getting madder by telling someone to look it up because everyone asks it.
I began flying RC in the 70s. I wasn't able to fly continuously in those years, and am often trying new phases of the hobby. I recently bought my first gasser. I had questions and I took a lot of my questions to members at the flying club. They too had heard the same questions countless times, but took the time to talk with me and help me with my answers and were happy to do it. No one told me to go home and look it up.
So what's different about RC Universe? Even if you have seen the question a billion times there is no reason to jump down someone's throat for asking.
I always try to find an answer before I ask on here, and sometimes I just can't find what I'm looking for no matter how long I search. Then to be told basically that I am wasting someones time by asking, - well, you know how that would make you feel.
It doesn't matter how experienced, or intelligent a person is, there is no excuse for being rude to someone who is wanting to learn. Then to blame the person who's asking the question for forcing you to be rude and nasty is just too much

I once had a friend who was a genius, IQ wise and knowledge both. He was a physicist who chose to fly helicopters for a living. (I didn't say he had good common sense, lol) But someone would ask him the simplest question that most grade school kids would know, and this man would sit and explain for as long as it took. He never said it was a stupid question, or that everyone should know that, and he never talked down to them in his explanations. There is no reason all "Experts" can't be like that.
As far as “Paying your dues”. Come on, what a cop out. It doesn’t matter if Joe Blow or you or I used to have to carve our own props for our rubber band airplanes, or if we built from kits cutting the pieces out with razor blades. We have no right to criticize someone who didn’t have to go through that. We paid our dues, maybe. But we also were paying their dues so they could enjoy the benefits of what we did.
There is no excuse for making someone feel bad for asking the “Wrong” question.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: RoyR

ORIGINAL: willig10

All:
I believe T.O.M. and Jody were and are a wealth of knowledge. I also believe that T.O.M. was just ''Grumpy''. I understand his frustration when it comes to a question that has been asked numerous times.

I also believe that RCuniverse could make the ''forum'' search engine better and instead of forwarding your search to the web it could be forwarded internally to the forum you are looking for. Due to this a lot of modelers don't bother looking up past subjects and just ask their question in ''REAL'' time.

As I have always said. If you do not want to answer a question or if it makes you upset that someone even dared to ask the same question more than once. ''Feel free not to answer''

I have no problem assisting those who need help and if I do not know the answer, I will either not respond or do some research until I find the answer and then post.

I wish both T.O.M. and Jody well, however I do believe there are plenty of resources around to help out with answering peoples questions.

My 2 pennies worth

Glenn Williams

I copied the whole post because I want to say I agree completely. If you've heard the question a million times and it makes you mad, why spend more time getting madder by telling someone to look it up because everyone asks it.
I began flying RC in the 70s. I wasn't able to fly continuously in those years, and am often trying new phases of the hobby. I recently bought my first gasser. I had questions and I took a lot of my questions to members at the flying club. They too had heard the same questions countless times, but took the time to talk with me and help me with my answers and were happy to do it. No one told me to go home and look it up.
So what's different about RC Universe? Even if you have seen the question a billion times there is no reason to jump down someone's throat for asking.
I always try to find an answer before I ask on here, and sometimes I just can't find what I'm looking for no matter how long I search. Then to be told basically that I am wasting someones time by asking, - well, you know how that would make you feel.
It doesn't matter how experienced, or intelligent a person is, there is no excuse for being rude to someone who is wanting to learn. Then to blame the person who's asking the question for forcing you to be rude and nasty is just too much

I once had a friend who was a genius, IQ wise and knowledge both. He was a physicist who chose to fly helicopters for a living. (I didn't say he had good common sense, lol) But someone would ask him the simplest question that most grade school kids would know, and this man would sit and explain for as long as it took. He never said it was a stupid question, or that everyone should know that, and he never talked down to them in his explanations. There is no reason all ''Experts'' can't be like that.
As far as “Paying your dues”. Come on, what a cop out. It doesn’t matter if Joe Blow or you or I used to have to carve our own props for our rubber band airplanes, or if we built from kits cutting the pieces out with razor blades. We have no right to criticize someone who didn’t have to go through that. We paid our dues, maybe. But we also were paying their dues so they could enjoy the benefits of what we did.
There is no excuse for making someone feel bad for asking the “Wrong” question.
+1
Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Maybe you should be more kind. No one forced anyone to come on here and give advise. I saw TOM getting harsh and cranky with even his friends. He needed a break. Sad as he did give good advise before he went sour. Brian

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

It's folks like you that deny all the work in answering the same questions over and over again, and thus make a dedicated person leave the forum.
Ask yourself who is the dumb-ass here, if experience does not count anymore.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

This forum no longer needs TOM or Jody. After all, every possible two stroke engine question has been answered many times according to them. All you have to do is do a search and you can find what you need to know.
Good luck with that.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gads! I was so looking forward to the next "what oil should I use" thread.
Larry
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

What are the factory needle settings ?
My ignition says 4.8-6 volts....How come a fully charged 5 cell battery is bad for the ignition ?
What is the gap for my CM6 spark plug ?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys have been passing judgment and blame for those two not being here any more.

If you have been on the different forums over the years, you may remember that Pat Roy, Silver Surfer, Tired Old Man, et al, has had a very STRONG CONDESCENDING NATURE all these years. A couple years ago, this attitude, got him into trouble with several of the members on the next biggest model airplane site in a situation much like happened on this site recently.

The head moderator of that site asked him to apologize to every one or he would be restricted in his ability to post in the future. Well, he never apologized, he just never posted again. I read all this on the forum at the other site. To my knowledge, he is not banned there, he just chose to not participate? And BTW, Pat is not restricted in any way at RCU either.

On RC Universe Pat got into several diff's a few years ago and several people seemed to gang up on him. He went back and erased several of his posts. Then the RCU head moderator restricted his account to where Pat could not edit his posts. Finally, his rights were restored and everything was back to normal for a couple years. Recently this all happened again and a moderator asked Pat to apologize. Pat did so, but has not been back.

Point is, this person has this trait about his personality and there is not much he can do about this problem for it keeps coming back in spite of his efforts to not be that way. Some of us that know him just accept it and associate with him anyway. If you are around and converse with him often this syndrome is not present anyway. Doesn't matter. We are all human and unique and none of us are perfect.

This nature about a person can be good too. It has been a natural for Pat to be a perfectionist in his trade and to always try to be the best he can be with all the knowledge of what works and doesn't work. It just so happened that much of the knowledge of his occupation was closely related to radio controlled model airplanes. This drive for excellence works out well for him in his job.

Jody used to work for Valley View R/C. He was closely associated with the most popular gas engine line presently available. He worked with model engines every day and shared his infinite knowledge with us. Jody no longer works there. Jody is a R/C modeler and still works with engines very much like model engines. Though his personality is not like Pat's, other members have ganged up on him on RCU also. This is a problem of social networks at times. Jody did nothing wrong to be treated this way. Jody will get over it.

Jody is a R/C modeling friend of Pat's. It was a good time to move along? I want to wish both these fine gentlemen the best - where ever they decide to share their knowledge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.