Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

George,
Best of luck. I can understand why you would want to go for a gas powered plane as opposed to glow.
It sounds as though you have much of the experience needed, and if you have a friend with more large scale flying experience to fall back on, that's a real plus.
Go for it[8D]
Pete

Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are coming into "swap meet season" Go to some of them and walk around. I bet you could get everything you need for less than your five hundred dollar budget. I KNOW that as fact!!

I was walking around at one in September and I started talking to a guy. He GAVE me a CARF Extra 300 airframe retail price about $1200. It had a broken landing gear mount. I fixed that with some epoxy and some new plywood support. I had servos. Bought a new engine. Well under $500.00 invested. I will test fly it next spring. Got snow on the ground now.

You can easily do what you would like to do on that budget if you shop around. Don't be afraid to haggle.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swap meets are a good place to buy. My friend bought a nice Big stig airplane with a never run Zenoah 23cc engine for $100. Even got some good servos in the deal. He sent me a link of it flying. Also I have seen it since live....and his Grandson was flying it. It pays to look around a lot. Capt,n
Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 PM
barchiola
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: brockettman

Check out a Giant Big Stik, You could use a 20 -26 cc engine on one of those guys, and they are nice flying airplanes...
and the Zenoah 26 will pull any of the high performance 30cc planes very well later on. they're readily available 2nd hand on most of the forums for reasonable money.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:47 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

Up your spending limit to $1000. Buy a good used 50cc plane with a DA 50 in it. It will take you a while to grow out of it and they fly great. Get someone with experience to help you pick a good used plane and teach you to fly it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

There are lots of used planes on swap meets, here in the market place or even on craigslist.
Many people never get the needle setting of their gassers right and sell their planes and you can get a good deal.
I bought an almost new JBA 15cc for $180 this way, put it in a Seagull Extra 300 ($160 ARF, new).
Also I recently bought a used 27% Extra 300 with a 45 cc gasser and servos for $400. Love these planes.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: gagallagher04401

Hello everyone.

Not sure if I am posting in the right forum but I am trying.

I have been into RC my whole life. I have had many nitro surface vehicles, electrics, boats, helicopters and electric planes. I have a 1/4 scale HPI baja 26cc buggy. I love it, so reliable, big and fast, no problems like with nitro.

Anyway I am thinking about getting into a gasser plane. Right now I have T-28 trojan, extra 300, stryker, a couple of brushless supercubs. Love them all.

I also use a DX7 for all my planes.

I have been reading around on the forums. What is the best way and least expensive way to get into a gasser plane? Are the engines in the planes as reliable as the surface vehicle 2-cycle engines?

I do not want a HUGE plane. I have to be able to put it in a suv and take it with me.
I do not need super complex, blazing speed. (but not slow lol) I am looking for gas, reliable, fun and noise.
thinking if I coudl buy a plane ARF that would be ideal.

So any directions I could be pointed in would be great.

Thanks a ton.
George

I'd say your best bet for a cost effective entry to petrol engine powered planes is a giant Big Stik from Great Planes with a 20c-to 30cc petrol engine fitted. (petrol = gasoline). If you can fin one 2nd hand even better.

I taught myself to fly on a foamie and then switched to a methanol powered plane when I took a few lessons to make sure I was not learning too many bad habits. The bigger plane was more sluggish. it was Slooooooow and I handled it easy. Id still recommend you get some help with handling the bigger plane at leastr for your first few flights till you are comfortable but I see no hassles with switching from foamies to a gasser despite the reservations some here allude to but do not directly articulate.
As long as you have learned good techniqu on your foamies a gasser will be a piece of cake, especially since you already have gasser experience
Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Thanks TimBle

I agree, How is the big stick to fly? Is it a fun plane. I just do not want to put alot of time or money into a plane I will get bored with. Not looking for hardcore 3D, I looking for a sport flying plane.

I do not think I will not have trouble flying it, I just want a decent setup is all.

No one around here for help, so I am on my own, not a big deal to me, taught my self helis, and planes, I am nbot worried about that.

Thanks
George
Old 12-05-2011, 02:27 PM
av8tor1977

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Great Planes Giant Big Stik and love it. It will do all kinds of nice aerobatic maneuvers and still be easy to take off and land. A Giant Stik with a DLE 30cc would be a great combo and you would have tons of fun with it. I have big Giles, Katanas, Extras, biplanes, etc., and I still enjoy flying my Giant Stik.

AV8TOR
Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
gagallagher04401

that sounds good av8tor1977

So a big stick with a gas engine, what would be a good reliable engine for it, at a resonable price, or maybe a 2nd hand one.

So a ARF big stick, Gas engine (which one) I have a Dx7, how about servos' and a ignitions......

Make a long story short, trying to put a list together of evwerything I will need.

Thanks
George
Old 12-05-2011, 05:25 PM
gagallagher04401

whats everyone think of this plane?
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1044.html

I see there is a big stik and a giant stik. Can a gas engine go in the big stik? or only in the giant stik?

If I go with a "stik" I would like to go with the big stik, not giant.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM
av8tor1977

I was recommending the Giant Stik, though the Big Stik is a very nice airplane also. I have had them before, and my brother has one now. They are really meant for glow engines, but I had a 20cc gas engine on mine, and that's what my brother has on his. Flies quite well. With the gas engine, you would probably need to mount the servos for the rudder and elevator in the rear to help with balance, but check first. I would recommend the DLE 20cc for a Big Stik. Normal size standard servos should work fine in this case.

The Super Sportster is a really nice plane and a very popular and successful series of planes from .20 size all the way up to the big one you mentioned. I would probably use a DLE 30cc in that one, though if you want to get crazy, it could probably take a 50cc engine. Some of the Super Sportsters had problems with elevator flutter, but there are fixes for that. Look into it if you get the plane, especially if you over power it.

Edit: The ignitions come with most engines; you just need a 4.8 volt 1000 mah or larger battery pack for the ignition, and a switch harness.

AV8TOR
Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 PM
brockettman

George,

The Giant Super Sportster looks like a nice plane, I haven't flown one but I have the 40 size. It is zippy but can be a bit unforgiving if the dumb thumbs kick in.... If you go with this one I'd agree with av8tor1977 and go with at least a 30cc.

I have flown a Big Stik with a 2 stroke .91 and it flew like silk, did whatever I wanted it to do. I don't think a Big Stik would handle a larger gas engine as well as the Giant Big Stik.

The wing loading On the Giant Big Stick is a bit lighter than the Giant SS.

Have fun deciding!

Ben
Old 12-05-2011, 06:23 PM
gagallagher04401

Thanks a ton, Reason I mentioned the other plane is I like the looks better then the giant or big stik is all.

If I go with smething, I think I would go with something ment for the gas like the giant stick, I do not want to be guessing, or modifiing my first gasoline plane. I want to follow it to the book, make it as easy and smooth as I can.

Do you think the giant stick would be a smart move? What would be a good reliable engine for it? ( I think you mentioned it already though)

What is the speed of a plane like the giant stik? Never seen one in person.

Just standard servo's? metal gear? high torque? anything special?

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks for putting up with me.

George
Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
brockettman

ORIGINAL: gagallagher04401

Thanks a ton, Reason I mentioned the other plane is I like the looks better then the giant or big stik is all.

If I go with smething, I think I would go with something ment for the gas like the giant stick, I do not want to be guessing, or modifiing my first gasoline plane. I want to follow it to the book, make it as easy and smooth as I can.

Do you think the giant stick would be a smart move? What would be a good reliable engine for it? ( I think you mentioned it already though)

What is the speed of a plane like the giant stik? Never seen one in person.

Just standard servo's? metal gear? high torque? anything special?

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks for putting up with me.

George
Well George, here is where things get subjective... You will get a hundred different answers from fifty different guys.

Here is my opinion:

Yes the Giant stick would be a smart move, and a good name brand gas engine should be very reliable for a long time.
The Giant stick will fly pretty darn fast, and slow down for some nice three point landings.
For this bigger plane I'd go with a high torque servo, metal gear is not necessary... Just be sure to meet or exceed the manufacturer recommendation.

Ben
Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
av8tor1977

My Giant Stik is fairly speedy for a boxy plane. But then you can also fly it slow, and I often surprise people by flying mine nearly within the confines of our flying field like a park flyer. It is a very forgiving plane, and has a loyal following. It is nice too that it has a two piece wing that makes transportation easier. I have a smoke system on mine, and Futaba 3010 servos on everything but the throttle. Been flying it for years...

I've had several different different engines on mine just for kicks, but as I said, I think the DLE 30 engine would be a great match for the plane.

AV8TOR
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
TimBle

I'll agree, Giant Stik with a DLE 30.

Both are tried and tested products although If it were me I'd be bolting a Mintor 33 to the front...

Back to you, the DLE30 is a popular engine and most on here can help you troubleshoot it if heaven forbidm that should be necessary. They are very reliable engines.
The GP Giant Stik is also a fantastic airframe. But bare in mind the bigger 30cc engine is going to cost more as are the servo's and the airframe.

The Big Stik with a DLE20 would be a more cost effective option with similar flying characteristics to it s bigger brother.

Just prop them fine for slower flying at first although if you fly a Stryker regularly speed will be something you are used to.

Just read through the Sticky for Gasser Newbies at the top of the Gas Engine forum. Read every post and even print it out so that you get familair with the engine and how it works and what you need to do to tune it.

And remember HAVE SPARK WILL FIRE. Keep those fingers clear!!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

The DLE 20 cc will also mount on the Great Planes Engine Mount the 30 cc will not, you will need the standoffs!! Go with the 20!!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 AM
gagallagher04401

Opinions are fine by me, as soon as everyone is agreeing we know we are narrowing it down LOL

So Giant stik with DLE 30cc or Big stik with the DLE 20cc Correct?

Like I mentioned before I want to keep the cost down, but want something fun, reliable, "new to gasser freindly" Also do not want to have to "modify" the airframe etc to fit a engine the plane was not designed for for my first gasser. I want everything to be as newbie friendly as possable for my first gasser.

Big stik with the DLE 20cc is that goign to take alot of mods to make that engine work on that plane or is safe to spend the extra money and go with the giant stik with the 30?

What is goign to be difference in price ruffly? I obviouly like to keep cost down on my first one. I have to admit though if no one has picked up on it, I am a little intimidated, that is why I want freindly, and easier on the wallet LOL incase something goes bad, for my first plane like this.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me and helping me through this.
I am going to start looking for prices, and equipment needed, servos, extensions, switches, batteries, what RX for my DX7.

Thanks again
George
Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 AM
azrenagade

Hi George
I have The Gaint big stik. it has a 85" wing spand 2 peace wing (easy to haul). I have a 32cc RCGF gas engine in it. It has been clocked using a rader gun at 110 mph wide open.it will go veriticle forever. knifeedge, and so far pretty much anything i've tried todo including hanging it on the prop. you can slow it down to nouthing & it will float forever.it is a total blast to fly. my stik i bought used for 200.00 with everything but engine & rx & got the engine for 250.00. so as you see it is doable within your budget.
oh and as far as experence i'm 54 & only been fling a year now although i fly average 3 to 4 times a week

Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM
gagallagher04401

I need a deal like that!!

Anyone have a deal they want to offer me?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
tony0707

hi
i know i have more flights on MIDWEST 40 and 60 size STIKS than any other airframe
in my 22 years of building and flying RC
the STIK is the most seen plane at almost any active flying field
and a plane you can count on to be forgiving to fly-making for an always relaxed day of flying at the field-and is that not what the hobby is mostly about
THEY ARE JUST FUN TO FLYand for that reason they get flown more
the airframe was designed just for RC unlike many other planes
REGARDS TONY
Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 AM
gagallagher04401

Anyone selling one?????

Anyone know of anyone selling one????

Thanks
George
Old 12-06-2011, 11:46 AM
av8tor1977

For a complete "newbie", or person starting out, I really recommend going with new equipment. Someone that has been doing this for a while can spot problems with used planes that a newbie would miss, and the lack of instructions, etc. don't matter. It really is no big deal mounting the servos in the rear on the Big Stik if price is such a big factor, and I am not even sure it would be necessary with the lightweight DLE 20 that we are recommending.

The most "turn key" way for you would be the Giant Stik and a DLE 30cc. The instructions with the Great Planes offerings are excellent, and this would make you a great plane and engine combo that would last for many years if you took care of it. (I have planes and engines that have been flying for 25 years.) You will forget the pain of the money spent fairly rapidly, but will enjoy the airplane and engine for a long time. Just get some help on the final setup and first flights.

You only live once....

AV8TOR
Old 12-06-2011, 12:40 PM
tail heavy

The DLE 30 is a great choice for the Giant Big Stick. I am in the process of mounting one to a GBS that I bought this fall at the club auction.

I also have a DLE 30 in a Giant Super Sportster. I love the way that one flys.

Alan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52813.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	1696152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17755.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1696153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19676.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1696154  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.