Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Hello everyone.

Not sure if I am posting in the right forum but I am trying.

I have been into RC my whole life. I have had many nitro surface vehicles, electrics, boats, helicopters and electric planes. I have a 1/4 scale HPI baja 26cc buggy. I love it, so reliable, big and fast, no problems like with nitro.

Anyway I am thinking about getting into a gasser plane. Right now I have T-28 trojan, extra 300, stryker, a couple of brushless supercubs. Love them all.

I also use a DX7 for all my planes.

I have been reading around on the forums. What is the best way and least expensive way to get into a gasser plane? Are the engines in the planes as reliable as the surface vehicle 2-cycle engines?

I do not want a HUGE plane. I have to be able to put it in a suv and take it with me.
I do not need super complex, blazing speed. (but not slow lol) I am looking for gas, reliable, fun and noise.
thinking if I coudl buy a plane ARF that would be ideal.

So any directions I could be pointed in would be great.

Thanks a ton.
George
Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Do you mean gas as in gasoline or smaller glow powered planes?. A good 40 size trainer with a 63" wing span would be a good start. Also find a club for help. Send me your zip and i can find a club for you. you can PM the zip. Dennis
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gagallagher04401,

If you could narrow it down just a little and tell us what size, style, and price plane you are looking for. Most SUV's will hold a 50cc gasser. If you don't think you have the room then the 30cc gassers are real popular.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM
DadsToysBG

If I read his post right it seems that his experience is limited to foamies. Jumping into large gas may be a big move without flying something easier. Dennis
Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Zippi

DadsToysBG,

Yeap. Like my dad use to say, you've got an eye like an eagle and a nose like a beagle. I didn't catch that until I read it again. gagallagher04401, you may need some help with this one if your making a jump from foamies to gassers.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
gagallagher04401

hey guys.

No nitro! GAS 2-cycle. I have surface 2-cycle experience as listed in my first post. same thing, but swinging a prop right? I have been flying for quite a few years. I have flown my buddies nitro planes, nexstar, extra 300, and a couple others) I just like the reliability of the gas, (if it is as reliable and maintence free as the surface vehicle gasoline engines)

Like I mentioned ARF would be nice. Size I want someting I can put in a SUV.
Price.... not sure possable to get setup for less then 500.00?

Thanks everyone.
George
Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Sorry! But I call that inexperience!
Get a .40 size plane first, join a club, and learn how to fly and handle it before you get inte big gassers (finger and arm choppers).
Old 12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
DadsToysBG

Nothing to worry about. Can't do gas for less then $500. Even a 30cc will cost more.
We're really not trying to knock you down. We want you to be successful. Jumping from borrowing someones planes to gas is just not a good idea. Get a 60 or 120 size plane and fly it for a year and then maybe your be ready. Lots to learn along the way. Dennis
Old 12-02-2011, 01:51 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

If I read his post right it seems that his experience is limited to foamies. Jumping into large gas may be a big move without flying something easier. Dennis

whats the big deal jumping from foamies to gassers? Some foamies are much harder to fly than any 30cc gasser
Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
DadsToysBG

Tim I going to assume your comment was meant to be humerus. Therefore I'll not go into details. Dennis
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is the airplane style that makes how easy it is to fly...not the size. A 20cc gas engine on the rightairplane would be simple to fly. Call it a big trainer. They are more easy to see and build because of the extra room for radio gear and servos. Do not be afraid to get at least a 20cc or 1.2 engine size airplane. More Later. Capt,n
Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Whistling Death

You will be hard pressed to keep a gas plane in the $500.00 range. A profile with a 20cc engine might be the ticket.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Zippi

If your dead set on doing this then turn to the classified ads for the amount of money your wanting to spend. You can find some pretty good deals.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM
STUKA BARRY

I recommend the Senoir Telemaster with a DLE20cc engine. This is a great training combination. Teles are easy to fly and it wont be too much more than $500.00 minus radio. It is a fairly big airplane that will fit in a large SUV. They come in kit and arf form. If you would consider used, I've got a Zenoah gas engine that will more that fly the plane and save you some $$.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: TimBle

whats the big deal jumping from foamies to gassers? Some foamies are much harder to fly than any 30cc gasser
I know some disagree with this post but I agree with it as a generalisation.

Here is a guy with experience flying a Trojan and a Stryker. Let's assume he is flying and landing them successfully. Why on earth does he need a high wing trainer? The strykers change direction pretty quick and are far from a stable platform. The Trojans similarly so and without proper control will crash every time.
It is this attitude of "you don't know what you are doing so must get a 40 size trainer and a lot of help" that pushes some potentially very capable newbies away from this hobby.

Read his posts - he is already flying planes.

To the OP
Welcome to the hobby.

Here is my advice to you

A 40 or 60 sized glow will give you a quick introduction to whether or not you want to continue. and it can be easily done in the price range you are looking at. Possibly a "stick" type plane wiht a DLE 20 on the front could also be an option. I will take a guess that you don't wish to build a kit and would prefer to just get flying.

Do not fall for the "low cost engine" trap of some of the places. You have already mentioned you want reliability. If you want to go Gas. a DLE 20 or DLE 30 would be the best choices (in new) or in second hand.

Posts 11, 13 & 14 are all very good suggestions.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:32 PM
gagallagher04401

I agree with ropomond. I am 29 years old been into all forms of RC since I was a little kid, and expanded as I got older. I am not a newbie, have had many other planes, the ones I named are the ones I have now. I never got into nitro planes my self due to the pain that the nitro engines could, and most of the time did cause on the nitro trucks and cars I had. I then got my hpi baja 26cc gas buggy a few years ago. I love it, choke it, start it and go. barely any tuning, always runs good, strong and fast, over an hour on one tank of fuel, fast, fun, and reliable.. This is the main reason I am leaning towards gas, not nitro. I won't go nitro, I will stick to my electrics, my extra 300 and stryker are fast and nimble, they can get away from you real quick if you are not careful, but anything can do that. I also fly a trex 450 pro. nothing is more challening then learning to fly a heli, and fly it well. LOL

500.00 is what I would like to spend, but if I can't do a reliable good setup for that I will go higher, just trying to feel out what I shoudl be looking at, and no I do not want a high wing trainer, been there did all that. I fly my buddies nexstar is boring and like a cow with wings, my foamies are much more demanding then that. My other buddies sport plane is tons of fun, and fast, 5ft wing span or more, low wing, that is a blast.

Also as far as clubs... lol none around here where I am, and I am not traveling hours to go to one. I have fields upon fields I own to fly in, right in my back yard. I fly right from my porch.

Thanks everyone.
George
Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The engine in the HPI Baja 26cc looks as though it might be a Zenoah?

If so, you might feel more at home with a plane that uses a Zenoah 20 or 26cc engine?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM
brockettman

Check out a Giant Big Stik, You could use a 20 -26 cc engine on one of those guys, and they are nice flying airplanes...
Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: gagallagher04401

Hello everyone.

Not sure if I am posting in the right forum but I am trying.

I have been into RC my whole life. I have had many nitro surface vehicles, electrics, boats, helicopters and electric planes. I have a 1/4 scale HPI baja 26cc buggy. I love it, so reliable, big and fast, no problems like with nitro.

Anyway I am thinking about getting into a gasser plane. Right now I have T-28 trojan, extra 300, stryker, a couple of brushless supercubs. Love them all.

I also use a DX7 for all my planes.

I have been reading around on the forums. What is the best way and least expensive way to get into a gasser plane? Are the engines in the planes as reliable as the surface vehicle 2-cycle engines?

I do not want a HUGE plane. I have to be able to put it in a suv and take it with me.
I do not need super complex, blazing speed. (but not slow lol) I am looking for gas, reliable, fun and noise.
thinking if I coudl buy a plane ARF that would be ideal.

So any directions I could be pointed in would be great.

Thanks a ton.
George
I suggest that you look to stuff on eBay or Craig's List. You might be able to find a great deal there.

My friend down the street got a steal a few months ago...... Extra 300 88" span, 3W60i (I think) fully loaded but minus RX and Bat. I think he paid less than $700 for the whole thing. I looked at it and it looks practically new. Engine doesn't appear broken in yet.

If you want a great 30cc gas engine (made in the USA) that runs superbly, PM me. I have one for sale
Old 12-03-2011, 03:15 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a DLE20 (250.00)on a Seagull Yak 54 (180.00). Itis a great engine amd a great flying Airplane. If you are an experienced pilot the Yak should not be a problem at all, a few mods to accomodate the Gasoline engine and you are good to go!! There is a thread on it in the ARF thread on RCU that I started. Don't be intimidated by the negative comments the gas is not that much differant than the nitro, just more support equipment needed and certain little changes in areas. Such as, no metal pushrodonthe throttle, change your fuel tubingand tank stopper, beefup your engine box and firewall to allow for the extra vibration of the gasser. No big deal, I am in the process of going all gas. The DLE20 is a GREATENGINE!! HTH, Rotten Out!!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 AM
gagallagher04401

Thanks everyone for you help.

The motor on my baja is a zenoah 26cc engine.

I will check out craigslist and the classified.

I will be in touch with questions.

Thanks again everyone.

George
Old 12-03-2011, 07:36 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Tim must be smoking styrofoam!

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Old 12-03-2011, 07:56 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

There's a BME .90 in the classifieds here for $250, mate that with a ultra stick .60 size and go, should be a good match
Old 12-03-2011, 08:07 AM
DanMN

you add in servos, receiver and all other needed equipment to finish out a plane, even a stick with a dle on it is definately going to run alot higher than $500. I would budget $1K for your endeavor. Go with good equipment. If you don't you'll regret it. Once you have the plane built, you can always transfer what's in that plane into another. With a gasser, you want to go with good servos. more vibration. My 2 cents....
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

I have about $500 in my Ultra Stick Lite 120, but I only have $75 in the engine including EI module and prop...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.