Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New for welding

Old 12-10-2011, 07:03 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New for welding

I found this device online and am wondering if anyone has tried one. It sounds like a nice welder that a peron who makes exhaust parts for resale, shoud have...maybe? Capt,n

http://www.multiplaz.com/index
Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 AM
brad59
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New for welding

Amazing.....I want one
Old 12-10-2011, 10:57 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

thats awsome....... $2000 isnt bad at all
Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 AM
dogshome

Dear Santa........
Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 AM
box car

$2000 +thats a lot of mufflers.
Ken
Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM
goirish

WOW!!!! Do you know how many neck-ties my wife could buy me for Christmas
Old 12-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

One thing I don't understand is they tell you to use a water-alcohol mix to generate a shielding gas. Then they warn you not to use methanol as it generates toxic gas and the manufacturer takes no responsibility if you use methanol. So, what alcohol do they want you to use? They never say. Perhaps they are saying that any alcohol generates toxic gas and their plasma welder is unsafe to use?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 PM
jimmyjames213

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

One thing I don't understand is they tell you to use a water-alcohol mix to generate a shielding gas. Then they warn you not to use methanol as it generates toxic gas and the manufacturer takes no responsibility if you use methanol. So, what alcohol do they want you to use? They never say. Perhaps they are saying that any alcohol generates toxic gas and their plasma welder is unsafe to use?
Methanol, isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), or ethyl alcohol (the stuff you drink) all burn producing water and carbon dioxide (CO2) as the byproduct, both of those are not toxic, and since the flame is 14000 degrees one would assume all the alcohol would burn. they probably advise against useing methanol because it is very toxic, that way if the welder were to malfunction....no one can file a lawsuit. Other than the toxic part it would probably work fine with methanol.....orrrrrr just pour in a bottle of jack, cheap vodka, or whatever you had on hand

edit

http://www.multiplaz.com/pdf/Multipl...w_20110418.pdf
page eight
it says you should use ethyl alcohol...aka booze.... now there is a use for cheap vodka

it can also cut through cement, concrete, brick, haydite aggregate, quartz glass, etc.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:35 PM
the pope

One thing I noticed they dont give a close up view of any of the finished welds. Being a former sheetmetal worker I think I would prefer a tig welder. Cheers the pope
Old 12-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: the pope

One thing I noticed they dont give a close up view of any of the finished welds. Being a former sheetmetal worker I think I would prefer a tig welder. Cheers the pope
For pure welding, yes a TIG, but this thing is so versatile I think I could overlook a funny looking weld for a machine that cuts, welds and makes drinks for you.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 PM
jimmyjames213

after reading this http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...524-multi-plaz

the welder works, the welds just aren’t "purdy"
I’m wondering if it is a practice practice practice problem or a problem with the machine
imo it is a practice issue, seems to be a totally different style of welding and a voltage/temp issue…different material….different temp….just needs some fine tuning

either way dedcated machines almost always work better but for car/hobby/household/random needs it looks like it will work perfectly
Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I tell you all what..I can't figure out why you would pay 2000+ for this thing when 1500 will get a pretty nice TIG welder that that can be used to weld virtually any common metal used in RC. Granted you can't buy the skill to use it. Probably can't get the skill to use this thing either... Never saw any welds or cuts for this thing. I'd bet even a neophite could operate my TIG welder if I gave the lessons.

So now as I tell my hotrod friends (I tell them much more point blank than my RC friends) After you have botched the job with make shift stuff and bring it over to have me fix it, I charge once for the repair and again for not bringing it over before the botched repair. The penalty clause. haha

Now tell me that you don't think a nice TIG weld either on steel or aluminum doesn't look good. "Ain't purdy", ain't gonna git it especially if you have to pay to have it done.

As for the cutting process, I build 250 mph drag race cars and there are few parts that require any hot cutting except when they get busted up. I can't think of anything in RC that needs cutting with high heat. The ony heat I can think of is the heat from a match to get the fire started after a crash...haha

Sorry I'm a naysayer on this one.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Whistling Death

To each his own. I'm not going to be building any 250mph dragsters and anything that keeps me from having to piss around with the local gas distributor is a huge plus.
The fact that I can put water in the thing and start welding makes it pretty convenient.
A rig like this opens doors for the tinkerer/fabricator.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bentwings

Well I tell you all what..I can't figure out why you would pay 2000+ for this thing when 1500 will get a pretty nice TIG welder that that can be used to weld virtually any common metal used in RC. Granted you can't buy the skill to use it. Probably can't get the skill to use this thing either... Never saw any welds or cuts for this thing. I'd bet even a neophite could operate my TIG welder if I gave the lessons.

So now as I tell my hotrod friends (I tell them much more point blank than my RC friends) After you have botched the job with make shift stuff and bring it over to have me fix it, I charge once for the repair and again for not bringing it over before the botched repair. The penalty clause. haha

Now tell me that you don't think a nice TIG weld either on steel or aluminum doesn't look good. ''Ain't purdy'', ain't gonna git it especially if you have to pay to have it done.

As for the cutting process, I build 250 mph drag race cars and there are few parts that require any hot cutting except when they get busted up. I can't think of anything in RC that needs cutting with high heat. The ony heat I can think of is the heat from a match to get the fire started after a crash...haha

Sorry I'm a naysayer on this one.

+1
Old 12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+2