Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

Hi y'all,

Since I'm flying outta USA to visit my family and for my sister's illness who is feeling much better Thank GOD, I thought that I would like to have the experiences of all those expert r/c mentors, experts, fliers and those transitionary people like me who are transitioning from glow to gasser. My thing was I got to return my Revolver 40 with a loss of whopping $20 lol and able to get DLE20 and I was looking for a 60 size plane, and through Nitro planes, I got yak 54 120 for $156 shipping now the price is itself $150 or something.

Since gasoline is cheaper than glow fuel, and big planes fly better but I think that your expenses get spiked up rather than getting plummeted by moving to gas from glow?

Bigger ARF's means bigger prices, of course with the flooding of Chinese engines it looks like people would stop using glows engines and get more gas engines, you need other itty bitty other stuff for gassers, props etc etc etc. Since planes are bigger so they fly better so does it mean bigger planes are less likely prone to crash as compared to small sized airplanes?

Since I've already gotten my first project of gasser which I would be working on after second week of January 2012 under the wing of my mentor, and feel lucky to have one, since mentors ain't a dime a dozen.

I'd like your experiences, updates, inputs and persuading comments why gassers are better than glowers?

Mody
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

For me after starting my first gasser for a plane I was building, I knew nitro was a thing of my past.. For me gas is less fuel cost, no clean up after flights, easier starting, easier tuning and better sound. Also less equipment to take to the field. No more stater's, glo igniter's, field boxes or field batterie's. All I take to fly now is a plane, the radio, and fuel. Yes maybe a little larger airframes but with that come's a more stable aircraft, and  easier to see. I still have several nitro powered aircraft. And have not flown the first since that first gasser started.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*removed because I'm tired of people putting words in my mouth*
Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I think I got into gas out of curiousity. Then I got a few deals on used planes. Now I have a 12 plane stable of gassers to maintain. The only real advantage of gas to me is less mess. I don't mind cleaning my glow planes since I started using Krud Kutter, but at the end of the day it is nice to just put the plane in the car and go. HOWEVER, if I have only a couple of hours to fly I will grab my GMS .75 powered .40 trainer and go to the field for some fun. Got it from Texas RC Planes. Has a wing more like a Stik type plane than a trainer. Lote of fun.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
armody

A .90 two stroke glow will outperform most 20cc gassers in a hearbeat, yet weigh around half og the gasser. Above 20cc, there is no question
Well, I was wondering that a .90 2 stroke glow would outperform a 20cc gasser in a heart beat let alone 1.20 Two stroke glow engine? Would you please elaborate it?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

*same reason as above*
Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Weak argument when comparing a DLE20 to similar glows (1.20).
That DLE20 is somewhere between a glow 1.20 -to- 1.50 for output.

Weight differences are negated when you consider the DLE20 needs only about half the size tank the similar sized glow requires.
Add in the fact the DLE20 can swing a 18 x 6 prop (but does best on a Vess 17 x 6), and the thrust figures easily favor the DLE20.

If bragging rights of high rpm is your thing, stick with a glow.
If thrust/torque and overall economy mean more, go with the DLE20.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:20 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Any 20cc gasser that spins a 15x8 at only 7,500 rpm is very weak indeed, and certainly not what I would consider as typical.

Karol
Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 PM
MercerAUST

For me, the attraction is more 4-stroke vs 2-stroke because of the better noise, grunt, less mess and fuel economy. I've tried 2-stroke gas, but have gone off it because of the noise. I've currently got a couple of Saito 4-stroke gas engines, but they are expensive to buy. I don't think there are any other commercially available small size gas 4-strokes? I've still fly nitro 4-strokes. I won't buy any more 2-stroke nitros or gas engines.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me it is the sound of a 3 cyl Four stroke engine that turns my head. Some very high output 2 srtrokes are sweet too. Here is my favorite now.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnJkBl0Ql8 Capt,n
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 PM
armody

I'd agree with y'all when it comes to gasser specially 20CC and DLE20 there is no comparison to .90 size glow. Since it's gonna be my first experience, so I'd try my utmost to keep this forum alive and keep y'all posted with this noob's new experience. I bought Zinger wooden prop 16X6 for me DLE20 for yak 54 120 of nitro planes.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Many flyers have a very low opinion of Zinger props.
Step up and get either a Xoar or a Vess 16 x 6 or 17 x 6
Old 12-21-2011, 05:46 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Zingers don't seem to have true pitch. A 16x6 might be a 16x5.5 when it gets in the air. Some say they flatten out under load. For a prop to have proper pitch the hub has to be as thick as the pitch when they machine the wood away. So an 8 pitch should be slightly thicker at the hub than a 6 pitch. I like the Xoars in the larger planes.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The JXF and Hawk props are identical to the Xoar in both design and performance and are a bit more economical in price.

Karol
Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: apalsson

Sure can,

A common two-stroke glow engine, OS95AX is rated for a 14x8 prop (15x6 is pretty much the same load) and you should expect near-on 9,000RPM - probably more. This engine weighs some 745 grams

A typical 20cc gasser swing a 15x8 at around 7,500 rpm, however all-up weight (including ignition) will be around 950grams when you include the ignition battery
Please note that I suggested a 20cc was the point where I saw gassers come into their own.
The many common 15cc, 17cc etc perform less than the 20cc but weigh roughly the same
What 20cc gasser are you running? I have three DLE 20s and they will turn a 15x10 in the mid to upper 8K range and a 17x6 in the 8300 range. The DLE20 weighs 29 ounces with ignition (I don't run a seperate ignition battery) and everything which is the same as the OS 1.20AX and the DLE 20 is very close if not equal to in power. The added bonus is that you only have to pay $3.00 for a gallon of fuel that lasts three times longer.

The DLE 20 is the engine that made me give up glow after 20 years flying glow. THere are lots of .90-1.20 airframes that it will fit on. The 1.20 sized airframe is a good size for me. The servos aren't that expensive and there is plenty of room for the DLE 20. And the planes aren't so big that they're a problem to transport.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gas engines did not just appear on the market, remember Qudra. Qudra was the leader and it was imported from Canada. What was the motivating factor? Could it be the Chineese imports just like the wave of ARFs manufactured airframes. Japan imports engines and electronics. They used to be R/C products of choice however our government imposed an import tax on these items. Presently there is no such thing imposed on Chineese products but IMO it is coming. Does anyone no why nitro fuel is so expense it's called government regulations and presently there is only one manufacture in the USA providing the key ingredient nitro methane. Our own hobby industry could not compete with foreign manufactures and now we rely on imports.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: flycatch
Does anyone no why nitro fuel is so expense it's called government regulations and presently there is only one manufacture in the USA providing the key ingredient nitro methane.
You can thank Timothy Mcveigh for that.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:49 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All the nitromethane is made in China.

The one company that made it in this country quit making it and just buys it from China and resells it.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The one company that made it in this country quit making it and just buys it from China and resells it.
Hell, I wonder if I'm made in China? Everything else is!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: armody

I bought Zinger wooden prop 16X6 for me DLE20 for yak 54 120 of nitro planes.
I believe that engine will be seriously under propped with that 16-6 Zinger. If you must stick with Zingers try something like a 17-8 as Zingers always seem to have less real pitch and turn up far more than comparable props with the same marked size. The Xoar 17-6 seems like a good place to start if you can get one. See how that works out for you then move on from there.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Hell, I wonder if I'm made in China? Everything else is!
Go look in a mirror ... that should give you a clue as to your origin!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DLE 20 is the engine that made me give up glow after 20 years flying glow. THere are lots of .90-1.20 airframes that it will fit on. The 1.20 sized airframe is a good size for me. The servos aren't that expensive and there is plenty of room for the DLE 20. And the planes aren't so big that they're a problem to transport.
<hr />This is so true. The small gas engines will work in many,many airframes out there easy to fine...new or used. I wish I had time to try them all!!!!!!!!!!!!! Capt,n
Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Truckracer

I believe that gas powered planes are popular for a number of reasons beyond just the differences in the engines. If it was just the engines, I don't believe arguments in favor of gassers would completely offset the really high quality glo engines that are available these days and the positive experiences one can have using them. Yes, I know the glo mess, the high cost of fuel, etc. those things have been beat to death and are certainly true but glo engines can be extemely high performance and just as reliable as any gasser so there must be other reasons for gasser popularity.

For me, gassers are my favorite power source mostly because of the whole package they get bolted to. Gas powered planes largely evolved into ones with fuselage mounted landing gears and with wings that slide on to tubes. Along with these features they also have top hatches that expose most of the internals including the tank. Remember having to jam those nasty tanks and fuel lines into the noses of glo planes? Much easier on gassers! The plane just sits there on the bench and is extremely easy to work on and maintain. Same at the field, with just a few tools the plane is assembled and ready to fly. Much simpler than most glo planes with their one piece wings that bolt on the bottom of the fuselage. Yes I know many glo planes have also evolved into this same gasser type of construction but I would suggest they are in the minority with traditional glo designs still most popular. Certainly there are other forms of gassered powered planes but I bet these don't get flown as much as the type mentined above. If you have to take an assembly stand out to the field to assemble a plane on, I guarantee that plane won't get flown as much as the one that stands on its own feet.

So its the overall flying experience that makes gassers popular. The engines and their airframes are easier to maintain, use cheaper fuel, offer long troublefree life, etc. the list goes on and on in favor of gassers.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 PM
michaelj878
My Feedback: (6)

let me consider this for one second,,,,,, no i will stick with my glow engines, cant stand the stink of petrol in my van or garage, my moki 210 35cc pulls my sig sundancer around with bags of power and
has very little vibration, sounds great with a bison muffler and no i dont have to bolt on extra cannisters etc to try and keep the noise down, what mess?? a quick wipe down at end of day, oh and it runs
fine on no nitro, same as my super tigres in my pitts and gilmore, fuel costs a few dollars more but i mix my own so its pretty cheap, also i dont have to buy batteries kill switches and whatever,
i have a number of glow engines 2 and 4 stroke and cant remember my last deadstick and if they dont start within a few seconds i look for the problem, i see plenty of gas engines giving owners headaches
on most flying days, i think this rush to gas engines is a bit like the emperors new clothes, in my view a glow engine is lighter,quieter, vibrates less and sounds much better, maybe im wrong,,,,,,
saying this i like to fly up to 50 cc size planes and agree that above that gas is the go, just my 2cents worth
Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your words are so true however most modelers I seen follow the leader. Overall this is a group sport and most people don't want to be left out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.