Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE55 Rear Exhaust Conversion

Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 AM
dynasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE55 Rear Exhaust Conversion

I would like to know if its possible to rotate the cylinder head to make it a Rear Exhaust Engine. I am sure the Pin on the Piston where the Ring seats has to be relocated as well... Rear Exhaust type engine will still use the original muffler as Pitts and will save the cost of buying a cheap Pitts supplied by 3rd party in China which normally fails after few flights, additionally no need to cut the cowls from different angles and sides.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DLE55 Rear Exhaust Conversion

Not possible. The piston also needs to rotate 90 degrees, and that can't can be done.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 AM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dynasel

I would like to know if its possible to rotate the cylinder head to make it a Rear Exhaust Engine. I am sure the Pin on the Piston where the Ring seats has to be relocated as well... Rear Exhaust type engine will still use the original muffler as Pitts and will save the cost of buying a cheap Pitts supplied by 3rd party in China which normally fails after few flights, additionally no need to cut the cowls from different angles and sides.

If you rotate the cylinder head, when the piston is at TDC , there is no skirt surface closing the exhaust port, and crankcase will lost pressure and air-gas mixture.

You will need a different piston (if available) wit different skirt surface on wrist-pin exhaust side, and relocated ring pin.
On the NGH35 engine (user configurable for side or rear exhaust) the factory supply a new piston for rear exhaust version.

Best regards
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also the way the intake ports in the cylinder align with the reliefs in the crankcase will not work