Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas tank question

Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 PM
acdii

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Gas tank question

MyDewey came with this funky tank in it, has never been filled. The fitting on it is a sleeve and insert, and comes out fairly easy. Just wondering if it would be safe for Gas.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99176.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1712910  
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Gas tank question

The line may swell somewhat from gas, making it hard to slip apart. Just try it and see....if it does not seem to work, try a different fuel tank. Use ines made for Gas. Capt,n
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
acdii

That is a Tygon line in it now. I changed it out with the black one that was in there.  The tank has a vent outlet and it looks like the fill one is plugged.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
gofast53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar tank I got in a kit from Hobby Lobby which Iused in a gas plane. But after about a dozen flights found that vibration from motor had caused the plastic outlets (which are moulded into the tank simiar to your picture) to crack and leak. So went back to using the old style tank with rubber stoper and brass tubes.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
acdii

ORIGINAL: gofast53

I have a similar tank I got in a kit from Hobby Lobby which Iused in a gas plane. But after about a dozen flights found that vibration from motor had caused the plastic outlets (which are moulded into the tank simiar to your picture) to crack and leak. So went back to using the old style tank with rubber stoper and brass tubes.
Thanks, that was what Ithought would happen. The line also comes out pretty easy, and since the ignition is going to be in the general area, Ithink I will replace it with a different tank. I can use this one in a glow plane.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big problem (in my eyes) is that that tank will not allow for much of a clunk.

I recently removed one from a plane I traded for and with the size of the hole there is no way I could put a heavy enough clunk on the the line to make me comfortable that the tubing would be able to flex enough.

Paul