Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Quadra 150

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Warbirdguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quadra 150

I think we all are watching with extreme interest on how this turns out Sounds like your taking the correct steps to keeping your investment safe and flying. Good luck with it and keep on updating us

WBG
Old 03-03-2012, 04:42 PM
ksawyer

Finally got the stearman together enough to try and fire up the Quadra 150.

I need some help here guys......The carb is not drawing fuel.   There is no choke, so I have been squirting fuel directly into the carb.
At about half throttle, the engine with hit a few times but never picks up and runs.  It does not draw any gas while it is hitting.

I know nothing about the walbro carb and what is involved in a rebuild.

Any suggestions?   My arm is gettin kinda sore .

Kevin

Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

If the carb was complete with choke I would say opt for the rebuild. The fact that it has no choke and does not seem to be working propts me to suggest you obtain the info for the correct choke equipped carb and place an order.

With that said, usually if a carb is not drawing fuel, you would check the internal filter under the pump cover. That is going to be the cover that is attached with a single large screw. After removing the screw and cover, you will see a gasket. This is actually the flapper valve membrane with a gasket around the edge. Note which way is right side up. Carefully pull the membrane and gasket up as a single part. You will then see the screen. Remove it and flush out. Even if you don't see any gunk as at times I have found a clear gell type film on the screen clogging it. After the screen is clean and back in place, fill the small resivoir there with gas. While the carb is off the engine, you may want to pull the other cover off to make sure the diaphram is engaged in the metering needle fork. When you see it you will know what I am talking about. Check to see if the meetering needle moves freely in it's bore and lube up with a little gas as well. Be careful not to bend the fork and that will really mess up fuel metering. Once all back together, and if you can get some gas past the reeds it should fire and pull fuel. Reminds me, while the carb is off you may want to make sure the reeds are not stuck to the reed cage. Always a possibility with an engine that has been sitting for a while.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Warbirdguy

Speed racer is correct on all accounts. Personally, I would replace the carb with a functioning choke butterfly. Starting that thing with no choke is going to be a beast even if the carb was pulling fuel. With as much as you have invested in this thing so far, I wouldnt skimp on the realitively small cost of a new carb.

WBG
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 AM
ksawyer

I agree that I need a new carb.  Who sells them?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The large Walbros use 4 screw to hold the cast cover on..
Not all large Walbros have the forked lever...
Search the Walbro site for a WB of WJ series with a choke...
)r just get a WJ 71 from DA...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
ksawyer

OK, Antique,

I have one question.....how do you guys know that a WJ71 will match the bolt hole spacing of my old WB24A.....I know you guys probably know what your talking about....just wanted to ask.  I have searched for WJ71 dimensions and have not found any...just parts diagrams.

Also, I am kinda getting nickled and dimed to death here and I still dont have a flyable engine. Its making me consider taking the $75 for the carb and puting it in on a DLE 111 as a replacement.  I know I would be steping down in power, but I personally believe the 150 is way more motor than necessary. 

Anybody got any thoughts on that????

Thanks

Kevin
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Warbirdguy

I like the new engine thought myself. Sometimes its just best to ...let em go....pull the plug and bury it somewhere in your shop and say a few good words and just let it go.