Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc at 6V?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 AM
matador_24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 20cc at 6V?

Hello guys,

I have a brand new DLE 20cc. I am planning to use a 2200mah 6V Nihm battery as I have some around and I bought a optic kill switch that will not work with anything under 6v. However, I read some posts and some people recommend using only 4.8V with the ignition of the DLE 20cc or they will burn??? I can use 4.8v but I need to buy a battery and then a new kill switch as mine doesn't support less than 6V.

Could some people share their experiences????

thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20cc at 6V?

I heard the same thing about 6V and DLE ignitions. I have only ran mine 12 times or so. But my battery is a 3S lipo with a reg bringing it down to 6 volts. So far so good. Not to say it wont burn it up next time out. But a 6V reg is different than a 6V battery. A 6V battery can be over 7V right off the charger. Using a reg it should be a little more consistent.

that my very limited experience with it, david
Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I would use a 4 cell pack or a diode inline like WrongWayRC sells.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

What you have is fine. Just install a diode between the Opto switch and ignition module.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: matador_24

Hello guys,

........................ I bought a optic kill switch that will not work with anything under 6v. However, I read some posts and some people recommend using only 4.8V with the ignition of the DLE 20cc or they will burn???..........................

Could some people share their experiences????

thanks!
I'm curious what brand/model opti kill has such a requirement of 6.0 v. min?

There's been some reports of ignition misses at 6.0v. (and higher) on the DLE20.
4.8 v. is all that's needed, but some just don't get it.

A diode to reduce the voltage is available from Wrongway RC......

Inline Ignition Voltage Reducer
http://www.shop.kavarootusa.com/prod...&categoryId=10

Also, be sure to dump the stock DLE/3 plug and get an NGK/CM-6.
Honda number is 98052-56471, it's an NGK CM-6 in a Honda box.
At the auto supply store it's (NGK/CM-6) listed as a Stock #5812
Gap it to .024
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
ahicks

Jim, just before I discovered I could get an Rcexl switch for the same price, I bought what I thought was a very good deal on a switch from HK for 10.00. Turned out it's not worth half that, but I knew it was a gamble when I ordered it. There were female plugs where there should have been male, male where there should have been female, and then the 6v requirement thing. It will not run on 4.8v. .... POS .... but I did get it working just out of sheer determination! I have 20-30 flights on it! Not a good plan though. Most would have pitched it right from the get go..... I would NOT recommend it to anyone.

Forgot: If you can solder, and don't have the patience to wait for one to be ordered/sent to you, a diode (1N4007) can be purchased at Radio Shack on the cheap. I think they were in a pack of 6 or so, and less than 5.00. They'll drop the voltage by .7 volts for every one you install. So 1.4v drop if you install 2 in series (one in line with the next). One will do the job on 5 cell NiMh, but you can go to 2 for 2c A123 safely.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

FWIW, I use a 3200 LiFe and a Tech-Aero IBEC. I just bought another one for my upcoming 30cc plane. They just lowered the price of the IBEC from 55 to 39 bucks. It works perfect and the LED indicator is cool.

My first one survived a helluva crash too.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM
aussiesteve

What does the ignition manufacturer recommend?
Fully charge your battery and measure it's output when fully charged. If it is within the ignition manufacturers specs, use it. If not - Don't use it.

FWIW,

Everyone I know that has had problem free running on a DLE (or any other RCExcel) ignition has run a 4 cell NiMh / NiCd style packs OR has had a very good voltage regulator that regulates the voltage below 6.000000000 volts.

Everyone I know who has had repeated problems with RCExcel ignitions has powered them with more than 6.00000000 volts - including with fully charged 5 cell NiMh / NiCd style packs.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Fully charge your battery and measure it's output when fully charged. If it is within the ignition manufacturers specs, use it. If not - Don't use it.

FWIW,

Everyone I know that has had problem free running on a DLE (or any other RCExcel) ignition has run a 4 cell NiMh / NiCd style packs OR has had a very good voltage regulator that regulates the voltage below 6.000000000 volts.

Everyone I know who has had repeated problems with RCExcel ignitions has powered them with more than 6.00000000 volts - including with fully charged 5 cell NiMh / NiCd style packs.
May I add measure batt. voltage when fully charged - and under load? Without a load, and fresh off the charger, I fear you'll get some voltage readings that might prove unnecessarily troublesome to the uninitiated.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

FWIW,

May I add measure batt. voltage when fully charged - and under load? Without a load, and fresh off the charger, I fear you'll get some voltage readings that might prove unnecessarily troublesome to the uninitiated.
+1

I keep being amazed at so many just wanting a future ignition problem, just because so and so says they've been doing it off a 6+v. or A123 and THEY had no problems....yet.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Scota4570

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Reduction.html
I have one of these on my test stand. It works fine.

Or, I never heard of anyone doing this, but you could also put a tap on the pack on the 4th cell.
Or, a diode
Or, use the right pack to start with.
Or, set the butterfly to close all the way when you hit the kill button
Or, have a choke servo.

I don't have an opto kill on anything I fly. I don't miss it. Are we saying we must have it? Does that mean all magnetos must go? Did you know glow engines can start without the glow plug lit. Diesels... oh my. Do electrics need an arming switch to be safe?

Perhaps we are over thinking this?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM
BigD_S2K

If you have the capability to roll you own I can provide a schematic and BOM of a circuit that work very well. My PC board layout is kind of big about 2"x2"X.75". Uses opict coupler and a 30 Amp FET to switch power. Tested down to 4.6 volts at 1 amp. Flown with DLE 20, DLE  30 and Zenoah 26 with EI. I have no interest in building up a bunch of the thing.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM
RBean

You can do what you want, but I found out the hard why to use 4.8V on the ignition. You gain nothing from using 6V (except additional heat). When it is fully charged it can be over 7.2V and this will kill an lot of the ingition moduals eventually. You can use voltage regulators, diods etc, but I like to KISS. (keep it simple).
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
matador_24

Hello,

The ignition kill i bought is the one in HK (according with its specs and the reviews it supports only 6v) but I emailed them to cancel the order, so, I will purchase another one that supports 4.8v and I will use a 4.8v battery

thanks for the help!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 AM
FullSpool
My Feedback: (12)

I like to keep them around 5 volts, they seem to last the longest and have less issues. If you want a plug and play pack I have them here.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
a1pcfixer

That's a cool & simple setup, especially for newbies.

You gonna offer the same in 2300 mAh packs as well?