Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ceramic Coated Exhaust...

Analy???????
Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised that the ceramic sticks to aluminum so well, not the easiest metal to coat reliably.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WRK

I am surprised that the ceramic sticks to aluminum so well, not the easiest metal to coat reliably.
Aluminum oxide is a form of ceramic that forms naturally. Anodizing is a forced oxidation or ceramic coating on aluminum.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM
trappriverpc

Wow!! All of you have made some great points. I'm sorry I couldn't respond quicker. As far as piston coating the top and sides the extended layover on the top of the piston is anly about .015" The side is done from bottom of the lower oil ring to the skirt. I'm surprised no one mentioned squish being effected by adding ceramic to the piston top and the face of the head. Mind you it is only going to get you about .030". Ceramic is only coated at about .015" thick. Any thicker and it will fail. Not to mention you don't have much room to play with anyway when it comes to internal engine components. Some colors can go up to 1mil thick. I only recomend using the piston or turbine coat when it comes to internal engine components though. It's more or less a teflon based ceramic for heat and friction reduction. I am by no means an engine expert, I coat the parts I don't build them or assemble them so I'm not going to try and get very technical with you because I can't. I know my way around an engine and that's about it.
jquid said it better than I could have with his explanation of ceramic on exhaust systems. Here is the link to NIC Industries which is my ditributer. They have some good info on ceramic. Unfortunately at the moment they are updating their site. www.cerakotehightemp.com
Yes there are many colors to choose from. One thing to keep in mind is certain colors have lower temp ratings than others.

Someone had mentioned coating aluminum, when it comes to prep with these metals I will tell you the process I use which is now pretty much SOP when it comes to ceramic coatings. Prep is everything!!! Without it any type of coating will fail. Ceramic must have some type of profile to hold onto or it will delaminate. For this I use only 120 grit aluminum oxide, (which helps tremendously with alum) This works great for all metals in engine applications. I clean all parts using mineral spirits to move away fuels and oils. Then comes the AO blasting. After that all parts are baked at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes to burn away oils etc. They are then AO blasted again to remove any contaminates that may have been missed. Then the parts are sprayed with ceramic.
As I said earlier, I don't think I will have any noticable benefit from coating my small glow exhasut I just thought it would be something fun to do since I have the means and it was something I hadn't thought of untill recently.

Here is my info for those who wanted it. My gallery isn't the best, I'm the worst for pictures. I'm hoping to have the new udated gallery up soon. There are many more ceramic photos that will be put up when My photographer is finished. Also the list of ceramic colors will be updated. There are over 50 colors but not all are listed on my site. When NIC updates theirs, their link will be updated to my site so you can see the color options.

Thanks,
Rich
Trapp River Powder Coating
[email protected]
www.trappriverpc.com
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

.0015"?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want the heat reflective coatimg on top of piston and the Combustion Chanmber. no gain will be had in these small engines with coating the sides and most engines can not be coated on the sides anyway. As I have said couple of times in here what would give us gains the rest is just for looks.

Coating the piston top, the chamber and the exhaust on 30cc or larger gas engines will help reduce the heat in the engine and air frame. anything else for most sport use is a waste of money.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:28 PM
trappriverpc

I need to correct my last post as far as piston ceramic thickness is concerned. I had said the total thicknes can only be .015 of an inch, I was wrong. That is for most standard ceramic colors. Piston and turbine ceramic can be applied to .5-1.0mm thick.
The turbine and piston coat will reflect more heat than a standard colored ceramic. Turbine coating will reduce heat on the coated part by 500-600 degrees F, as to where a standard ceramic will reduce temps by about 400 deg F. and you will have much less coefficient with the piston coating.

I do agree with airraptor as far as anything less than 30cc may be a waste of money. I don't see the total outcome being very beneficial on smaller engines due to the fact that they don't see high enough temps. He's also right about not being able to coat certain piston sidewalls as well.