Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CRRC 40 and RCEXCL Ignition

Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRRC 40 and RCEXCL Ignition

Hey guys, I need some help here please.

I purchased a CRRC 40 engine kit and put it together per the instructions. I did use a better quality gasket sealer and I swapped out the stock bearings for bearings from Boca. I installed a new RCXcel igntion and halls sensor from AGAPE racing in place of the stock system. I also opted for the CM6 conversion. The problem is I cannot get a consistent spark from the ignition and when I can get it to run it eventually quits and won't restart unless it sits for awhile. The carb was taken apart and cleaned, the battery is a fresh 1500mah 4.8v, the plug was gapped to .020, I have adjusted the needles to numerous positions and nothing gives a consistent run. The prop is a 18x10 Vess. I have noticed that the spark coming from the ignition is very faint. Jim at AGAPE advised me to re-gap the plug but that made no difference. The only thing I haven't tried is the stock ignition and halls sensor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy Flying,

Loopman
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM
unclecrash

Default RE: CRRC 40 and RCEXCL Ignition

You probably have a bad ignition or hall sensor. I had a bad ignition right out of the box. It acted just like you are saying. There is a way to trouble shoot it. There might be a sticky on the top of gas forum. Im sure others will chime in. I know you will hear a good snap every time you pass the magnet over the hall sensor.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I have the exact set-up and there is no problem seeing and hearing the spark. Mine is a breeze to start and runs well. I set mine @ 28 degrees. How are your batterys, might require a charge?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: Loopman

Hey guys, I need some help here please.

I purchased a CRRC 40 engine kit and put it together per the instructions. I did use a better quality gasket sealer and I swapped out the stock bearings for bearings from Boca. I installed a new RCXcel igntion and halls sensor from AGAPE racing in place of the stock system. I also opted for the CM6 conversion. The problem is I cannot get a consistent spark from the ignition and when I can get it to run it eventually quits and won't restart unless it sits for awhile. The carb was taken apart and cleaned, the battery is a fresh 1500mah 4.8v, the plug was gapped to .020, I have adjusted the needles to numerous positions and nothing gives a consistent run. The prop is a 18x10 Vess. I have noticed that the spark coming from the ignition is very faint. Jim at AGAPE advised me to re-gap the plug but that made no difference. The only thing I haven't tried is the stock ignition and halls sensor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy Flying,

Loopman
Check post #23 of new to gas at top of the page. It tells how to check the ignition system
Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM
unclecrash

Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
unclecrash

Lets try this again.[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm#[/link] Here is the thread go to post # 23 and read up on trouble shooting the ignition.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Hey, thanks! I followed the advice on the indicated thread and the ignition checked out okay, it was the darned switch! Thanks guys!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Welcome, really somewhat painless....trash that switch![:@]
Old 04-18-2012, 04:04 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts