Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Tech-Aero IBEC

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
vidasj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech-Aero IBEC

Anyone using this? Opinions please.

I have an Aero-Works Extra 300 and DLE-20 on the way, and plan to use this IBEC. I've used the Rcexel ignition kill before, but the ignition had it's own battery pack. This plane I'd like to run a single battery.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tech-Aero IBEC

thats a good one
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 AM
aussiesteve

It is the Only IBEC device I use. I have tried a few other brands and the Tech Aero is the best IMHO. (Some of the others are downright terrible and shouldn't be allowed to be sold due to their overall crapp!ness)
Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

+1, used others but the Tech Aero is the only one now.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 AM
MetallicaJunkie

so this one is no good? http://www.syssaaircraft.net/cart/pc...5&idcategory=2 just curious because i will go this route(IBEC) on my next gasser
Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

They are one and the same
Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not here to knock the Tech Aero. I'm using one as well. What I wanted to add though, is there are a lot of guys running the Rcexl with no trouble as well? With that one you just need to assure yourself the ignition module is getting the correct voltage. That can be done pretty easily, on the cheap, with a diode or 2. If budget is of any concern, that package would run less than half the price of the Tech Aero.....
Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 AM
AJsToyz

They used to be 55.00 now they are 39.00 , but some places are still charging the 55.00. Just thought I'd throw that out there!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

They used to be 55.00 now they are 39.00 , but some places are still charging the 55.00. Just thought I'd throw that out there!
It's called competitive pricing. You can always buy it directly from Ed for 39$. But to me, even at 55$ it was a bargain for what you get. And so convenient to use....For example, just today my idle was a bit too high when I changed props and didn't realize it until the flying started. Well, the remote kill feature saved my plane's landing gear and/or some damage on the landing

I am still using Ed's original protype he hand soldered in one of my set ups. Have never had a single issue with any of the 4 I own and use regularly.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM
MetallicaJunkie

where is it 39 bucks? i dont feel like going on a hunt
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 AM
AJsToyz

Todd Syssa has them for 39.95 or direct fro Tech Aero

http://www.syssaaircraft.net/cart/pc...5&idcategory=2

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 AM
rexbirk

I have three. They work great! Have had troubles with some other brands but not these.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:18 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Todd Syssa has them for 39.95 or direct fro Tech Aero

http://www.syssaaircraft.net/cart/pc...5&idcategory=2

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
thanks i didnt realize they had lowered the price at syssa
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

never tried using a IBEC due to the fact that it's just another electric part that could go bad and guessing if it is working rite,i realy don't know that much about them.what i have been using is one 2300 a123 with a diode from WrongWay rc
to run both the ignition and rx that has work real well for the price of 8.00 bucks.what is the advantage to use a IBEC?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: closetguy

never tried using a IBEC due to the fact that it's just another electric part that could go bad and guessing if it is working rite,i realy don't know that much about them.what i have been using is one 2300 a123 with a diode from WrongWay rc
to run both the ignition and rx that has work real well for the price of 8.00 bucks.what is the advantage to use a IBEC?

it filter out RFI for those who are still running on 72mhz, and it enables you to kill the engine from the transmitter
Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM
vidasj

I don't feel comfortable flying a gas engine without a means to shut it down in case of an emergency. IBEC or kill switch, it's still "another device to go bad", but I think a necessary one.

I got the Tech-Aeo on order, glad to see so many positive responses. One less battery and switch on my next plane.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: closetguy

You are pretty much right in the fact that it is another electronic device to have problems with.

the ONLY places I use IBECS are in smaller planes (28cc gassers and smaller). In anything larger, I don't bother trying to save the very small weight of an additional ignition battery. (you can save more weight than that by reducing the "Bling" fitted for aesthetics).
In my IMAC planes, it is "almost" mandatory here to use RX operated ignition kills (It is not actually written but most organisers consider it to be the rules so it is easier to just go with the flow). As those planes are all larger than the ones I use IBECS on, They use a simple optikcal kill device connected to the seperate ignition battery/s (also of only one particular brand).

If the need for an Rx kill is considered necessary (that need may be for personal peace of mind) then one should also be using 2 RX power packs. etc.

But then again, I consider planes much smaller than that to be glow territory anyway as I never had a problem running that technology - no need for any of the baove on those

(Wait for it - I am sure it wil come [8D])
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 AM
gringopete

Its other real advantage is that if you lose radio signal the engine shuts down, preventing a fly away or something worse. We have sold hundredsof them and have had no problems.
Ed Alt is real serious about these. He did not produce them untill ALLof the bugs were out.
By the way they are assembled here in the USA.