Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Which brand of prop is loudest?

Old 09-01-2003, 03:08 PM
claysmith
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which brand of prop is loudest?

I'm looking for a prop that makes alot of noise. I think it sounds cool and noise is not a problem where I fly. I heard the menz was loud but haven't tried it yet. What do you guys think?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Menz and turn it really fast, you won't be disappointed.

I personally want the quietest prop.

Ken
Old 09-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Diablo-RCU

Actually a Bolly prop will be louder than a Menz. And the absolute loudest prop will be the Prince P-tip.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:14 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Originally posted by Diablo
Actually a Bolly prop will be louder than a Menz. And the absolute loudest prop will be the Prince P-tip.
I think Daiblo hit the nail sqaure on the head with the noise level of the Bolly over the Menz S. The p-tip's are noisy too! Although I'm not sure they are any worse than the Bolly. I have used them all.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default claysmith

claysmith,
Noise is not a problem at your field yet. If you go out there making that raquet though, it WILL be. If you are going out just to make noise, do us all a favor...DON'T. We have enough damned problems losing flying fields without somebody aggravating the problem. There's nothing cool about it, nobody likes it (including the modelers around you), and nobody wants to hear that raquet anymore. Check your local noise ordinances, and you'll more than likely find it is against the law. The people that continue to do this are gonna be the ones that are gonna cost us flying these big planes at all. Making annoying raquet isn't cool to any real modeler, and those of us that are in it for the long haul want to stay in it.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Diablo-RCU

Over a million people showed up in downtown Chicago to watch the air and water show. It lasted about 5 hours. Lots of very loud military jets punching out with the after-burners. Seems like a lot of people are attracted to loud noises too.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Aero330LX

Exactly my point. Attract these same people to your local flying field and watch what happens. People go out to watch airshows. They don't want ear bleeding noise around them everyday. The general population also thinks these things are toys that go out of control all the time, which isn't reality, but they don't like them. If you attract people to the flying field because of ripping props, I can assure you they won't be smiling when they get there. All it takes is just one time giving them ammo and they WILL shut you down. It's not just the general population either. That sound is annoying to most of modeling population. It's also damaging. I have one set of ears to last me the rest of my life. I want them to last that long, and so do others. Like I said, there's nothing cool about it. If people want to go to an airshow to hear that noise, that would be the best place for it... the local flying field ain't!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:23 PM
claysmith

I have my own flying field that is over a mile from from the nearest house so noise is not a problem for me. I don't have any problems with whiners like you where I live so If you're not gonna answer my question at the beginning of this thread keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Aero330LX

Edited
Old 09-01-2003, 08:58 PM
H.WayneS

Yau'll play nice now, or off to bed with no supper and no flying time for a WEEK !!!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:05 PM
claysmith

My field is also less than a mile from the airport and nobody has complained yet about the noise when I take off in my Cessna 340. Those 335HP continentals sure make alot more noise than the BME on my extra ever will with any prop.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Aero330LX

Originally posted by H.WayneS
Yau'll play nice now, or off to bed with no supper and no flying time for a WEEK !!!
How's that?
Old 09-01-2003, 09:24 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but when I launch my Ballistic missile the entire town complains.

Why is it every one assumes someone flys at a inner city club with noise control problems??

Also, what is the need for comparing apples and oranges? Most lawn mowers, weed eaters and leaf blowers are louder than my planes. You can run them from day break till night fall and no one will complain. Yet you run a small nitro engine for 5 min in your back yard and someone will complain.
It's not the decibel or the pitch that make it a problem. It's the people who are near by who hear and interpret the noise as a nuisance that make it the problem. People get use to the daily noises, add a new one be it louder or not, and someone will think it's a problem.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:34 PM
JimTrainor

You need to get the tip speed as high as you can. The closer to the speed of sound the better. Get the lowest pitch, largest diameter prop you can and turn it as fast as possible.

The in-laws will never come back

APC suggest keeping the speed of there props below .75 mach. The guide line is 190,000/Diameter RPM. See: http://www.apcprop.com (upper left corner of page)

For an 11 inch prop, APC suggests not to exceed 17272 RPM.

Wood might be a better choice.

Check this out: http://www.pponk.com/HTML%20PAGES/propcalc.html

If you run an 11 inch prop at 22500 RPM when the ambient temperature is 32 F, then you will exceed mach 1 That outta make a real racket.

Be sure to where safety glasses... complete body amour might be better choice.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:24 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

GENTLEMEN
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT LIKE NOISE GO ELECTRIC.
CLAYSMITH ASKED A QUESTION, WHY NOT JUST ANSWER AND NOT MAKE ALL KINDS OF PERSONAL JUDGEMENTS. WOW I LOVE RCUNIVERSE IT GETS YOU THINKING PJAMESRC
Old 09-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Aero330LX

Hey PJAMES,
You mind not yelling? It's impolite. The majority of us don't need to go electric on our big planes...we're already electric quiet.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:05 AM
WildManMisfit
My Feedback: (9)

Default Noise

You know what I do when I want to make a bunch of noise... I get about 15 of my buddies together with a bunch of warbirds and have a big nasty gaggle. Anyone watching will love. They did at TopGun 03.

Who's better than we are???
Old 09-02-2003, 01:08 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a man's plane makes alot of noise, but no one else is around to hear it, is it still too loud?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:32 AM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

I have a Prince prop and I can safely say it is NOT the loudest thing out there. You have to realize the people with the Princes HORRIBLY underprop their planes, for exactly the same reason. NOISE!

It doesn't matter what prop you use, just underprop your engine so you turn rediculus RPM and your tip speed goes up and Voila, instant noise!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Default Big Noise

A friend and myself witnessed a popular TOC pilot at the Cole County Classic last year flying a 40% 540-DA 150 spinning a PK MAX prop 30-10. The plane was under propped to the max flying wide open estimated 50mph. The noise had to be heard to be believed. I fly 100's and 150's and have never heard noise like this combo. I truly understand noise issues but a 12,000rpm Keith Black on nitro needs no muffler. Get a PK MAX and enjoy! :stupid:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106733_2181.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	59461  
Old 09-02-2003, 04:11 PM
EJB

Default Be like Mike

Hmmmm,"sounds" like Mike McConville to me.
Yup,when mike switches to his free-style routine he puts that PK on there & let's it rip - real good.Music to my ears.
You should see all the smiles on people's face's.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:32 PM
maxtenet

I have my own flying field way out in the country and don't have a concern about noise but I use mufflers and muffled tuned pipes because I don't particularly like the noise. I guess my question is why not go for the most EFFICIENT prop rather than the loudest.

Reminds me of those idiot Harley-Ferguson riders that take the pipe off their cycles just to be as annoying as possible instead of buying a nice smooth, quiet, incredibly more competent BMW bike.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Aero330LX

Default Here's A Few Ideas

I thought I would go ahead and answer the question. The tip speed chart here > http://www.mini-iac.com/pages/SoundT..._propnoise.asp at the bottom of the page will help you in determining the best speed to make as much noise as possible. Don't pay any attention to the the factual data above as the people who wrote that are only gifted engineers, full scale captains, Dolby Labs techs etc. You wouldn't want to read any of that...kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it? Try to go for maximum tip speed. Hopefully you will be able to get to at least mach .9 or above. Don't settle for less now, the point is to make as much noise as possible right? Don't worry about the excess heat coming from the engine, or sagging, or the wear on the rings, that all equalizes out as the engine spins up to full song. Hopefully you can get it to around 10-11,000 rpms. You want that thing screaming like a rebel yell thar cowboy! Yesim! You can also add about 10% nitro (or some of that 'shine') to the gas to squeeze out 500 or so more rpms. Run a prop that is very low performing which is the lightest load you can put on it. Don't want that performance stuff costing us the ultimate noise level. The plane won't get out of it's own way, but that's not the point is it??? The point is to make as much noise as possible and by god we're gonna do it no matter what any of those 'whiners' say...they don't know nuthin'! If you're really gonna let 'er rip you gotta take that performance deficit ya know! Ain't it cool?!? Just gotta love that noise!!! WoooooHOOOOOOOOOO Now for added effect use straight out manifolds with flared ends on them...make sure they extend out long enough to go outside the cowl! We wouldn't want to muffle that thing down now would we? We want that plane to be heard as many miles away as we can possibly reach! We want the whole damned world to know we're up thar! After all, we own the sky anyway! Finally be sure to always stand behind that prop when doing runups...it could explode, but that's the chance you gotta take to make that killer noise! Yeah BABY! Noise at all cost...ain't nuthin like it thar Vern. That's really why we be havin' them db meters...so we can prove to everyone how loud we really are! I'm gonna try to add many more tricks for making as much excruciating noise as possible soon, because we wanna see how much noise can be made and we should set milestones and top them as quickly as possible. My hope is that with the originator of the topic, we can really see how painful we can make it. It's just so cool being annoying...I don't know what came over me before. With any luck we may even hear about the trips to the hospital from real ear drum damage! Wouldn't that be just awesome? That would prove how cool this noise really is. Nothing like real blood coming out somebody's ears to prove who is the King of loudness! Man o man, I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. What was I thinking? We really got to get that noise level up to the level of those 340 hp Continentals. Later we could even try to top one of those agcats on a flat prop during takeoff! I think if we're real lucky we will surpass that milestone quickly. 'Yall join in now! Don't be shy. You know you want to be annoying too! So go ahead and let's get the gray matter working on this problem. We just haven't been making enough noise lately. THAT is the real problem. Let's make these planes as loud as they ever have been! LOL
Old 09-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Sounds good to me. He He He
Old 09-03-2003, 11:10 AM
claysmith

note to moderator: please delete this thread so the idiot above (aero330lx) will have to find another place to express his opinions. my question had been answered already before he started running his mouth, so any further posts will just be wasted space. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.