Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NGH 38CC 4 stroke

Old 03-18-2013, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NGH 38CC 4 stroke

<span style="font-size: medium; ">Hello, I have recently purchased this engine after being away from the hobby for a few years. It will go in a high wing stick 30 from AMR. No experience with a gasser to start with, so I did my research, and figured out what I needed...Now I went and bought a 4 stroker. Beautiful engine (I got the 3 ring "pro" version) but comes with absolutely NO paperwork...I am assuming the two yellow tubes coming out of the intake manifold connect to the two nipples in the back lower part of the engine. There is also a nipple in the front on the bottom...what does this connect to? Is it the line to the fuel tank for pressurization? Also if you could you give me an idea of what fuel to use since this is a 4 stroke? I don't mind buying a premium premixed fuel to start, at least until I see how this engine is going to behave. I plan on breaking it in on a test stand before flying.</span>
Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the "manual" :
http://www.throttlestore.com/downloa...F38_manual.pdf

the front nipple is just a breather vent, so just leave it open.
You can connect some fuel tubing to it, and route it out of your cowl, as it will spit a bit of oil out of it.

The other two lines at the back are a lube line, and the other a vacume line to operate the membrane fuel pump inside the carb.
Look at the pictures in this thread, or google pictures of the engine, and hook them up correctly.

As there is a pump in the carb, you dont pressurize the tank.
Just vent the tank to the outside.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Thank you very much.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Any suggestion on fuel would be welcome. Or how do I go about mixing my own 25:1 mix, Manual says 2-cycle oil,just add it to a gallon of the best gas I can find? Also noticed several differences on the "pro" version. It now uses a 4-bolt (plus the main) setup for the prop. All my colored parts are a very attractive gloss black. (except the standoffs,which are aluminum-colored). Mine is missing the cool little tunnel ram looking thing on the carb also. Just the flat side of the carb looking at the flap. Also they have solved the standoff issue by adding a very cool set of carbon fiber frames that have the standoffs a little wider.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM

It's a shame Chinese companies get the public to do their R&amp;D.
I think you guys with version 1 should get Frank Bowman to make rings for it.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: doug7025

<span style="font-size: medium; ">Hello, I have recently purchased this engine after being away from the hobby for a few years. It will go in a high wing stick 30 from AMR. No experience with a gasser to start with, so I did my research, and figured out what I needed...Now I went and bought a 4 stroker. Beautiful engine (I got the 3 ring "pro" version) but comes with absolutely NO paperwork...I am assuming the two yellow tubes coming out of the intake manifold connect to the two nipples in the back lower part of the engine. There is also a nipple in the front on the bottom...what does this connect to? Is it the line to the fuel tank for pressurization? Also if you could you give me an idea of what fuel to use since this is a 4 stroke? I don't mind buying a premium premixed fuel to start, at least until I see how this engine is going to behave. I plan on breaking it in on a test stand before flying.</span>
Hi,may I ask where did you buy it?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any suggestion on fuel would be welcome. Or how do I go about mixing my own 25:1 mix, Manual says 2-cycle oil,just add it to a gallon of the best gas I can find? Also noticed several differences on the "pro" version. It now uses a 4-bolt (plus the main) setup for the prop. All my colored parts are a very attractive gloss black. (except the standoffs,which are aluminum-colored). Mine is missing the cool little tunnel ram looking thing on the carb also. Just the flat side of the carb looking at the flap. Also they have solved the standoff issue by adding a very cool set of carbon fiber frames that have the standoffs a little wider.

Ref http://www.southernskies.net/page_info/gas_mix.html

A 25:1 ratio would beusing 5.12 ounces of oil to a gallon of gasline.

What I do is I had a couple of 2.5 ounce oil containers that I got to use with my weedeater or chainsaw. After emptying them I use a good quality oil and use the 2.5 ounce container as my measuring unit. I normally only mix up a gallon of fuel at a time. Lately I hasve been using Stihl Ultra oil for my gas engines.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM

thanks earl for the fuel info...should I try to find gas with no ethanol? 

Engine was bought from AMR in Canada, and while I thought I would recieve the 2-ring version, I was sent the pro version instead. Call Dany, nice guy, good prices, just overall nice place to do business. Doug
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they do anything with the muffler issue, or is it still just a straight pipe?

Mark.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM

Still just the exhaust header...
Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 AM

thanks earl for the fuel info...should I try to find gas with no ethanol?

Engine was bought from AMR in Canada, and while I thought I would recieve the 2-ring version, I was sent the pro version instead. Call Dany, nice guy, good prices, just overall nice place to do business. Doug
I don't think it really matters on whether the gasoline fuel has ethanol in it or not. But they do sell the ready mix gasoline at many stores, such as Home Depot or Lowe's, that doesn't have ethanol in it. You could use it at first if you like. It usually comes 40:1 or 50:1 with oil mixed in it, but you can easily add more oil of course. The carburetor looks like it is compatible with the Walbro rebuild kits so replacing the diaphragms should not be a problem.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks much.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The reason to use non-ethanol gas is that some small engine guys say the ethanol ruins the gaskets in the fuel pump. Or something like that. Others say that is an old wives tale. I have never had a problem with the gas from the local station, but I think it would be interseting to see if there is any change with the non-ethonal.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 AM

This thread seemed to just about die.

Was thinking about getting one for a 1/4 scale cub and want to see if all is going well with people who have one.

Milton
Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
SJN

Still snow on the ground around here [:@]
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: jeffEE

The reason to use non-ethanol gas is that some small engine guys say the ethanol ruins the gaskets in the fuel pump. Or something like that. Others say that is an old wives tale. I have never had a problem with the gas from the local station, but I think it would be interseting to see if there is any change with the non-ethonal.
Maybe in the older carbs the ethanol caused problems but the newer ones are not effected by it.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM

The newer carbs should be using better materials to make the diaphragms from. But there could be cost cutting with the low cost engines though. Fortunately they are using carbs that are compatible with Walbro rebuild kits, so it isn't a big deal, should it happen. besides the modern unleaded gasolines with some ethanol in them work really well with the propane and butane they mix in the fuel as well. Unfortunately the stuff stinks more and goes stale faster but it works good though.  You can get the pre-mix fuel at many stores 40:1 and 50:1 oil to fuel ratios, but you can add more oil easily enough. Except the stuff is quite expensive though, something like $5 to $6 a quart. The aircraft fuel would work, but it is a higher octane rated fuel and sometimes the engines aren't particularly happy with it, but it depends though. The aircraft fuel can be fairly expensive too, if you have to go a long way to get it.

I just use the pump gas, and it works fine. One can put in the teflon pump diaphragm and that boosts the pumping capability over the black rubber ones, or you can use the blue plastic diaphragms if you need less pumping capability. If the regulator diaphragm stretches out it is easy to replace too.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 PM

Just curious, what type of planes is everyone thinking of installing this engine in?
I'm thinking of the H9 PA-18 super cub myself.

Mark.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM

I'm hanging mine in front of an amr high wing stick 30 kit. Check out amr...nice<div>
</div>
Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Have any of you guys been bench running this engine? How's it running? Any Issues?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM

got test stand built, but it'll probably be a week or two...<div>
</div>
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM

I ran it on a stand first for about an hour then put it on my old 30cc yak.
The yak didn't like it that much, not enough power to fly like we're used to.
It seemed to run ok, no hints of wanting to dead stick or anything, quite reliable, never died.
I ran a 19-8 wood and it seemed to like it, 20-6 would work good too....don't remember the rpm #s.
I still need to create some kind of muffler setup for it, maybe saito 220 header and muff, or OS 200, screwed into a thick flange drilled and tapped.

Mark.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used model glow engines for over fifty years so have a pretty good understanding of things which can go wrong but the NGH GF38 is my first model petrol engine and I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. I am unable to get it to draw fuel from the tank to the carburettor.The engine is on a test bench. The tank, clunk and tubing are brand new and fuel flows easily by gravity through the tubing if it is disconnected from the carburettor so I am confident that there is no problem there. The tank is vented to the atmosphere.The High and Low needles are both just under 2 turns open from fully closed and this conforms with the recommendations in the instructions.As per instructions I have closed the choke, opened the throttle fully and flipped the propeller with no effect. I have also tried turning the engine over with an electric starter but no fuel is drawn from the tank.The tubes from the rear of the crankcase to the inlet manifold were connected when I received the engine. (Upper nipple to upper and lower to lower).The instruction sheet is not helpful. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:57 AM

open up the carb plate, the side with the 4 screws, slop some petrol in there and re assemble.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 AM

malcomholt, 
     you will need to get the pump in the carb primed before it'll start pumping and drawing fuel. I have simply squirted some fuel into the fuelinlet on the carb. Other times I have blown into the fuel tank vent line with the fuel line open going to the carb to get fuel up to it, then hook it up blow a little more and crank over the engine (no ignition power of course) a number of times until I see the fuel going into the carb. Then it usually starts working fine for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.