Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCFG factory exaust fit problem

Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM
oldbassard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCFG factory exaust fit problem

I just recieved my RCFG that I ordered, and recieved it in a very satisfactory shipping time. I ordered it with the Pitts exaust accesory ($68.29).

After recieveing it I test fitted the Pittsexaust to the engine and the expansion chamber of the exaust is made to large of diameter it hits the cooling fins before the lead pipe will connect to the exaust flange. The Pitts exaust is made of casted aluminum (As I can tell). IF I am stuck with the

exaust, I am thinking about warming the aluminum and try to "dent" the exaust all the way across the contacting point to gain clearance. It needs a minimum of about another 4mm. Any of your responces will be appreciated.

BTW the reason I tried a cheaper engine is because I can't affordthe more expensive ones. So any comments thereare covered.

I did email BP Hobbies and complained about the problem, I really wanted the Pitts exaust, but for me, it's not doing any good.

I would appreciate any ideas or comments about whether my idea of a fix, will or will not work I will update you about what transpires between me and the dealer on the problem.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: RCFG factory exaust fit problem

An easier way to "FIX" the problem would be to make a spacer out of strip aluminum to move the muffler out a little.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 PM
arobatx

Have you checked to be sure the exhaust flange on the engine even matches that of your muffler? Measure it! Perhaps you got the wrong one in the first place
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM
arobatx

...sounds like its the 'can', not the header piece coming into contact, assuming the poster is talking about a wrap around pitts style muffler, not just a side dump type.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
oldbassard

Rich, Thanks for the time of repling but, the Pitts muffler chamberfits behind the cylinder and connects to the side of the cylinder, so if i tried to make spacer of any sort, It would not be able to connect to the holes in the engine block with out making the exaust stick out another inch from the side and make it too wide for the plane, plus off setting the pipes from anywhere near center
Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing with two of them. I just gently broke the fins off  far enough to not touch.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM
oldbassard

Chad, you are right, it is wrap around
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would note how much of the fin or fins to remove and carefully hacksaw off just enough to clear the muffler can.
The small amount of fin surface area you remove won't affect the engine cooling any.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

If you have good air flow over the engine you can remove all the fins in the back and not hurt the cooling. I just looked at their engines and I think you'll also have to find a way to support the muffler other then at the engine. That's a lot of mass for two small bolts to hold. If you don't the vibration will loosen the muffler. You'll never keep it tight. Dennis
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 AM
gringopete

Send the muffler back to us and we will send you a new one.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's BP for ya, outstanding service.
Wish I could have afforded theRCGF 60cc twin instead of the CRRC 55cc twin. I would have loved to have it in my Pitts instead. Can't beat the service.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: gringopete

Send the muffler back to us and we will send you a new one.
That's the note I was hoping to see. Nice job gringopete!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
oldbassard

Hey guys

I wasn't trying to be insulting about the engine or the dealer.  I wanted the wrap around pitts muffler and this one didn't fit right.  Maybe someone put a wrong muffler in a wrong package.

The man did say send it back and he would send me another.  I was just looking for a fix. At any rate I will be buying more products from this dealer.

In another thread someone made a remark (I was in the planning stage of buying this engine) "You get what you pay for"  Well I have not read anything bad about this particular engine so I chose it.

I plan to as I said to post an update on the outcome in a new thread.  I thought when someone has a problem like this, It would be good to post about it. That way everyone knows about the problem and any resolutions.

To me it's as important to know about when there is a problem and to know when and if there's a resolution.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

In all fairness to the company. Why start a thread before you've heard from the company. Sometimes the internet is not a good thing. If the OP had waited to hear from BP then started the thread about the good service that would have been better.
The OP was asking about a fix. BP gave him the fix.
It appears that Old bassard is new here and maybe new to the hobby. It's always best to wait until you have your answer from the company.
When you post like this before the company has a chance to help it may make them less helpful. Dennis
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM
dadragon

I never cut or hack anything of an engine I modify what ever has to be added.I guess I'm just a mudafyler,here we go folks.anywho I would find the proper exaust system but who knows if you do indent the tube you might improve the performence of that lil mil.Geo.