Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

OS 33GT Hall Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 33GT Hall Position Sensor

I was looking at my new OS 33 today and comparing it to my DL 20 and 50 engines. I noticed that the magnet passes under the sensor at TDC on the OS but on the DL engines the magnet passes under the sensor about 25 degrees before TDC. I was under the impression that you could use a DL ignition on the OS but after seeing this I don't think so. If the OS sensor does not see the magnet untill TDC I can't see how it can give timing advance??
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: OS 33GT Hall Position Sensor

ORIGINAL: seagull extra

I was looking at my new OS 33 today and comparing it to my DL 20 and 50 engines. I noticed that the magnet passes under the sensor at TDC on the OS but on the DL engines the magnet passes under the sensor about 25 degrees before TDC. I was under the impression that you could use a DL ignition on the OS but after seeing this I don't think so. If the OS sensor does not see the magnet untill TDC I can't see how it can give timing advance??
I don't have any experience with the OS but regarding sensors in general, they can be set up so the ignition is triggered as the magnet just passes away from the sensor after passing under it or just as the magnet just starts to pass under the magnet. The DLE and the Rcexl sensors in general use the first method. Depending on the width of the magnet, this could account for your timing concerns.

I'd suggest putting a degree wheel on the OS and see what you get!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will help. Dan.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
seagull extra

I don't really need a degree wheel to see that the magnet is directly under the sensor a TDC on the OS. I would need a degree wheel to say exactly how many degrees of advance are on the dl's though. I was under the impression that when you have advanced timing that the spark occurs before the piston reaches TDC by a given number of degrees. In that case I would think the sensor should see the magnet before the piston reaches TDC but it doesn't appear to be that way, as the OS sees the magnet on TDC and the DL's see the magnet after TDC ??
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

That’s a good one for the pro’s. The one’s I’m familiar with has the magnet pass under the sensor prior to TDC and the ignition fires when the sensor passes the magnet. Dan.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

The OS33 ignition is made by RC Excel for OS (why they didnt include the tach lead though is beyond me).

I'm not sure of the specific timing but the ignition is setup such that the magnet has to be moving past the sensor at a pretty good clip (i want to way 600rpm equivilent) to fire the ignition similar to the way the DA ignitions work, and unlike the RC Excel used for the DLE's that will fire any time the magnet is passed under the sensor.

The engine runs fine and starts by hand as long as you give it some throttle when flipping (or else it will start backwards)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 AM
seagull extra

I took another look at the DL engines and the magnet does indeed pass under the sensor before TDC, about 25 degrees before TDC. The OS magnet might be 5 degrees before TDC at the most. At any rate I can see how the DL set up would work but I can't see how the OS could give any amount of timing advance with the magnet passing under the sensor so close to TDC ???
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

such a system is/was used by falcon and Vlach, as well as MSR.
Without the engine running, the ignition fires 5° BTDC. Once running, it measures rpm and calculates the next firing position belonging to that rpm (ignition advances the timing when running). The magnet becomes a reference point only for synchronizing the timing.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM
seagull extra

I was hopping you would reply Pe. So it looks like if you want to use a standard RCEXL ignition on the OS 33 you will need to reposition the hall sensor. I seem to remember reading on one of the forms that someone swaped the ignition out with a standard RCEXL for easier hand starting but I do not remember reading anything about having to reposition the hall sensor though.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted this on the other site also.

When OS first came out with there gas engine and using a different ignition other than RCexl you could use a Standard RCexl ignition to replace it.

Rcexl makes different ignitions for different engine companies to there specs on timing.

A friend of mine bought one of the Evolution 10cc engines and the ignition is made by RCexl but looks nothing like a RCexl ignition, It is a long narrow square ignition box.

Milton
Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Franco2fly

I'm really upset with the EVO10 cc  The tach lead supplied DOES NOT WORK.  There was an additional lead supplied, but Telemetry quits after 90 seconds when it is used.  I then tried omitting the lead with a microchip in the line, and just went from Tach lead to RPM input.  This worked but there was a ground loop so telemetry voltage was telling me the packs were 3.1 and 3.2 volts, I have two 4.8 volt packs.

Next I cut the red lead,,,  ok so now the voltages read, and I got telemetry for all of 4 minutes before it stopped.

I cannot get anyone from HH to answer the question as to what the problem is.

On Chinese engines, I use a Y cable and send the Hall effect data to the RPM input,  This works with their sensors, but not the EVO  evidently the EVO Hall effect needs power to pick up the magnet.  The RCF Chinese engines do not.

Anybody know how to get good Telemetry using the EVO?

KKKKFL
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM
earlwb

You should have posted a message in the Evo 10cc engine thread instead of the OS engine thread. The Evo people won't likely peruse this thread.  But it sounds like a issue with the telemetry or the CDI unit, hard to tell which at this time though.
But if you used a separate RPM sensor does it work Ok with telemetry or does it crash after a while too?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Franco2fly

You're correct sir.

Just an FYI, I did get hold of the Product manager, and he's working the problem.  The suspect is the AR6210x at this red hot moment.

KKKKFL
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 PM
CH Ignitions
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by earlwb
You should have posted a message in the Evo 10cc engine thread instead of the OS engine thread. The Evo people won't likely peruse this thread.* But it sounds like a issue with the telemetry or the CDI unit, hard to tell which at this time though.
But if you used a separate RPM sensor does it work Ok with telemetry or does it crash after a while too?
OS 33 GT ignition works different than regular Rcxel or CH.
You can use a standard CDI unit but re position the sensor.

Adrian