Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

temp operating range of G-38

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
lmeddock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp operating range of G-38

I have a G-38 in my Hanger 9 Giant Scale P-47. Thought it would be fun to hook up some of the telemetry from my DX-8 radio. Can someone tell me the temperature operating range for this engine. I want to set my alarms on my radio and don't have a clue as to the max temp. The engine is enclosed in the stock engine cowl and has always run like a champ. Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM
harley6133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: temp operating range of G-38

Set a little lower but at 300F bad thing start to happen quick.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: temp operating range of G-38

With the sensor located at the topmost cooling fin, in the airstream leeway, firmly against the cylinder wall, set your alarm at 180°C (357°F). Short durations of 200°C (400°F) can be handled by the engine.
If temperatures in normal running exceed 155°C (310°F), it is time to check your cooling setup.
Temperatures below 130°C (265°F) tend to point in the direction of engine tune too rich.

We set up a DLE this way. Now the pilot gets a signal to stopwhat he was doing when the alarm sounds.