Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mounting a DLE-35RA

Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 AM
dingo9882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a DLE-35RA

Guys,

I have a DLE-35RA and I have a stupid question about the carb placement. Can I stick the carb through a hole in the firewall? If I do this will there be any adverse reactions to the engine running? I ask this because I have never had a rear mounted carb engine. Somebody also said to me that if I put it through the fire wall I will have to drill a hole somewhere else around there that will allow the carb to suck in the air it needs. Tell me what to do. Its in a Kangke Waco-UPF 7.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 AM
skillet92

Default RE: Mounting a DLE-35RA

It might and i stress might need to be tuned a little different, but if the fuse like any of the ones that i have built there are plenty of holes to let air in to the carb. Now you will need to fuel proof the area inside because the carb will spit out fuel. I have 3 dle 30s and one dle 35 and i have no issues.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like this? (116cc engine and large carb)
The T-line behind the carb is the static port connection (both sides of the plane) that is attached to the carb regulating section cover.
Yes, there is some space around the carb in the firewall. Enough to let air through.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40476.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1888893  
Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
dingo9882

Now, that were I get into a bind. If I make a large enough hole in the firewall do I need to Make a hole somewhere else still? The area the Carb is going in is very open, I do not know if that means anything. Right now I am at work, so when I get home I will take some pictures and show you the firewall and the space behind it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:22 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the carb thru firewall set-ups all the time. But I bring the carb through just far enough to still allow needle access from the cowling area.....It works fine. The firewall hole usually has about 3/8" clearance all around the cARB HOUSING AND THAT'S PLENTY
Old 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dingo9882

Now, that were I get into a bind. If I make a large enough hole in the firewall do I need to Make a hole somewhere else still? The area the Carb is going in is very open, I do not know if that means anything. Right now I am at work, so when I get home I will take some pictures and show you the firewall and the space behind it.
The other hole that lets air in is in the cowling front!!!!??? If not, no larger FW opening would be required, but some fuselage vents would be needed instead.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM
kerwin50

the biggest problem I have had is tunning. with part of the carb sticking through the motor box It has made getting to the ls an hs needles a bit of a pain
Old 06-06-2013, 02:28 AM
dingo9882

I think what I am going to do is make a fairly big hole in the firewall. I have a lot of firewall to work with so the larger hole will not hurt anything. I also with this plane am able to take the whole top off so I can tune it from the top. Thanks for the help guys.