pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gas prices

Currently, I pay €1.75 for a quart.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Much of the gas price fluctuations is due to the speculators driving the price up and down. The gas prices are based on the cost per barrel of crude oil being sold and if the speculators overbid the prices it causes the price to go up. It isn't the consumer demand causing the price swings.

So you need to figure out a way to get rid of the speculators causing the market swings.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

even so, the speculators will only take about $10 off the barrel maximum. The rest is a simple supply and demand scenario
Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 PM
skip1320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

As long as we keep buying it they wont lower the price, it's pretty simple
+5,, I said start planting corn way before it was mainstream news,Just a motorhead thing
Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You guys are probably right when looking at the bigger picture. I don't think that's what this is about though? This is about a local market (Mi) and the complete BS we get when asking for explanations/justification regarding these sometimes daily price swings? The price of crude or a barrel of gas is not going to affect prices we see changing daily, like going up and down 20, 30, and 40 cents a gallon for no apparent reason. If that were true, surounding areas/states would have the same issues? That does not seem to be the case though. Michigan does not have it's own private supply lines. It uses the same ones the rest of the midwest uses?

It's also very likely more than a little coincidental when the trends up take much less time (over night?) than those down (weeks), and the uptrends are nearly always just prior to a major holiday?

I'm generally not one to holler conspiracy, but if it looks and smells like one?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: skip1320

+5,, I said start planting corn way before it was mainstream news,Just a motorhead thing
Oh boy, while I'm in 100% agreement with you, you've opened a can of worms with this post, and are likely to get a lot of negative comments. That is because while ethanol is a very, very good option to our fuel problems, the propaganda supported and circulated by the oil companies against it makes this a stormy issue. People think that if we go ethanol, there will be food shortages and food price increases. They just don't understand the millions of acres of land that can be farmed and presently aren't used. The government even pays farmers to not plant crops sometimes. (I personally know several of these farmers myself.) I could fly you over thousands and thousands of acres of farms that have been closed down here in Arizona, because the farmers just couldn't make enough to keep going and went bankrupt. All that, as well as millions of others like it, as well as millions of acres of never farmed land, could be used for ethanol crops. And the plants would consume carbon dioxide and create oxygen. Brazil went ethanol clear back when the oil companies screwed us the first time in the early 70's and are doing fine with it. None of the horrors the naysayers predict about ethanol have come to pass in Brazil's multi-decade use of it. Sure, there would be some "growing pains" while equipment got properly updated to use it, but it wouldn't take long and is far, far from impossible.

But how long do you think all the execs of the oil companies could live on steak and lobster and buy politicians if we didn't need their product any more?? We're talking an industry of billions and billions of dollars that is stronger than any force in human history. Do you think they'll quietly let that die?

While many people were/are starving and struggling with the financial crisis, the oil companies posted unbelievable, record, billion dollar profits. Isn't there something just wrong about that???

AV8TOR
Old 06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
thepamster

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Much of the gas price fluctuations is due to the speculators driving the price up and down. The gas prices are based on the cost per barrel of crude oil being sold and if the speculators overbid the prices it causes the price to go up. It isn't the consumer demand causing the price swings.

So you need to figure out a way to get rid of the speculators causing the market swings.
I think these guys need to be thrown in jail.

How about we put soccer moms in a vehiclesmaller than an average size bus. Not once have I seen a soccer mom hauling around an entire softball team in her giant suv even thoughshe has the room. But I have frequently seen them driving by themselves making left turns from right lanes while yaking on the phone.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys are 100% wrong. The EPA and enviormental pressures from local communites through lawsuits cause the 137 refineries enough grief that smooth delivery of refined products is impossible.

The Gov will have a hard time solving a problem they have caused.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
thepamster

That doesn't explain why every time someone in the middle east farts gas prices jump.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 PM
av8tor1977

OPEC equals the very definition of collusion. Collusion is rampant in the states too, but they say they can't prove it. (Of course not, everyone is paid off. How quiet would you remain for a million bucks? For a billion? Petty cash to the oil concerns.)

Only way out of it is ethanol or some other renewable fuel source, but I don't think they'll ever let it happen until every drop of oil is gone.....

AV8TOR
Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 PM
thepamster

It seems like I remember we had some of those idiots in front of Congress at one point. They had flown in on there private jets.
Wish we could have thrown them in jail along with speculators and anybody else that is pocketing my hard earned money whilst I struggle every month just to make rent and somehow try to afford this rather expensive hobby.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:27 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My little gasser a 22cc engine just sips gas. To Dam bad it takes so much $$$ to drive to the RC field and back home. Can,t even imagine a bank big enough to hold the money those oil companies make in just one day!!!! See all those cars, trucks ,vans, and other vehicles in & near Chicago....just for one place....need one heck of a lot of gas $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 PM
av8tor1977

I remember quite clearly in school when they taught us that "Conglomerates" were illegal because if they got too big, they would have too much power and would be invulnerable. Hence our forefathers having foreseen this, created laws against it. WHOOPS!! Guess it didn't work....

AV8TOR
Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 PM
av8tor1977

I am old enough to clearly remember the contrived gas crisis of the 70's. My father happened to own a gas station at the time, and I remember the gas delivery guys telling us of tanker drivers told to dispose of entire tanker loads of gas to keep the so called "crisis" going. Gas stations were going without gas, while the powers that be struggled with what to do with the surplus of gas created by the contrived shortage, which of course was designed to raise prices.

During that time, I once visited my sister in California. She asked me one day, "If you don't have anything else planned, could you try to fill my two cars up with gas today??" It took me 8 hours to do so. She later said, "Dammit, I don't CARE what they have to charge me; just give me the gas I need!!!!" I told her "Well, when they figure they have everyone in the mental place you are right now, and ready to accept whatever they charge, the so called "gas crisis" will come to an end." And it did...

AV8TOR
Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

no it didn't work. no matter what you say or do they will never stop making billions everyday. there is nobody to stop them. our own govn't is in on every step and we will never have our own oil. to much money to be made. so were stuck...stuck....stuck...........RON
Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM
av8tor1977

ORIGINAL: geeter

no it didn't work. no matter what you say or do they will never stop making billions everyday. there is nobody to stop them. our own govn't is in on every step and we will never have our own oil. to much money to be made. so were stuck...stuck....stuck...........RON

Well sorry, but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. OF COURSE our govt. is in on it. Anyone in the government that isn't directly profiting from the gas situation, is being bought and paid for by the oil company concerns.

We've all seen the different movies, and perhaps even identified with the characters.... What would one person do to another for a million bucks? Lie, steal, cheat, kill? If someone from the oil companies right this very minute came to you and said, "Just keep your mouth shut, or vote a certain way on an upcoming issue, and we'll give you a million tax free dollars", what would you do???? You would take it and do as told, just as our politicians do....

Nowadays, you couldn't afford not to take the offer. A million bucks doesn't even guarantee a nice retirement anymore.

Sad but true...

AV8TOR
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
av8tor1977

Ya know, I presently live in Northern Mexico. Often times people here ask me if there is corruption in the USA, and generally assume there is none. I kind of laugh at that when talking to them, and say that "No, in most cases you can't buy off a police officer or local politician in the USA, but in the upper levels, the corruption evident makes Mexico purely pale by comparison...."

AV8TOR
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
chadxp1
My Feedback: (2)

Everyone, stop buying the gas so I can get it real cheap.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It's not the price of crude. Look at the cost difference between gasoline and diesel and that will tell you it's not an oil thing. Diesel has typically been ~15-20% more expensive than gasoline. Recently I've seen gas higher than diesel. It has to do with refineries, and the games American oil is playing with us.

It sucks. The first thing I think about is the impact on flying. I love driving to AMA contests. I don't want that to change.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:18 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Yea, sign a petition to get the government deeper into our pants.  No thanks - they've done enough damage to gas prices already.
Now, if you want to put up a petition to eliminate the roughly 40 cents per gallon gas tax then fine, I'm for that one.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Simple, get rid of speculation! And while you are at it get rid of "short sales". But who am I kidding? That will never happen because too many people get rich doing nothing
And before someone jumps on this about free market crap buying something without having a place to use it or store it just to be able to sell it at a higher price is price manipulation,not free market. And selling something before you own it used to be called fraud and theft
Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

That is exactly how they keep it going - the government pointing on the oil companies and vice versa. It's both. And there
is way too much money involved to keep the oil business clean and fair.
Gas prices will never come down significantly as long as the same people run the market.

As long as we depend on it, we'll have to pay whatever they dictate.
I lived for a long time in Germany, gas prices would always go up towards any holiday,
oil companies came up with some laughable excuse and politician promised
to fight against it...and it never ends, still the same game.

If you look behind the scenes, you will find huge corporations buying mid- sized companies of all flavors all over the world.
Once they own all the competitors, they can raise the prices and squeeze as much as they can out of their workers and customers.
Monopoly is happening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.