Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

vvrc 40cc twin

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Its going in the issue thats about to ship to the printer.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 AM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff, thanks for the info!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
This got me thinking, as I switched over to the Stihl Ultra. So I shot an email off to Stihl to get their opinion. This is the reply I got. Very interesting. This would seem to be the real issue with pump gas, and why it may be a good idea to use something else. (avgas, white gas)

"Mr. Perry,

Thank you for your email. The shelf life of our engine oil before it is mixed (sealed or unsealed) is approximately five years. Once the fuel is mixed, the oil itself does not necessarily degrade any faster. It is actually the gasoline in the fuel mixture that deteriorates long before the oil. Today’s gasoline is formulated to operate best in automobiles with the expectation that the fuel will be used within 3 weeks to a month after it is sold. Gasoline companies do not take small engine products into account when designing fuels. For this reason STIHL and other manufacturers recommend that fuel mix over 30 days old is not used in small engine equipment. Gasoline consists of chains of hydrocarbon molecules of various lengths. As the fuel ages the lighter chemicals in the fuel evaporate out. In addition the remaining components can combine into other chemicals. For example you may have heard the term, "the fuel has varnished". Basically the fuel at this point is less combustible and burns abnormally in the engine. Since the fuel isn't actually "gasoline" any longer, it doesn't burn completely and you are left with fuel and mix oil residue in the engine. In most cases the engine will not operate long enough to cause severe damage since the residue will cause the rings to stick, the engine will lose compression, and will not start. This ‘varnished’ fuel also does damage to the internal parts of the carburetor often damaging it beyond repair. Normally, the only option to correct this problem is a re-build or, more likely, replacement of the carburetor as well as a possible fuel line replacement and complete engine clean-out if the problem is severe. This is issue can be avoided by draining out the unit and running it until the engine runs out of fuel if the saw is going to be stored for more than 30 days. If you prefer to have fuel in the unit in case of an emergency, we suggest a stable fuel such as our STIHL MotoMix which has a two year shelf life once the can is opened and does not have the harmful additives pump gasoline contains. Drain the fuel from the tank and add a little bit of MotoMix. Start the unit and allow it to run for a couple minutes to get the fuel through the fuel system. This is the method I personally use and it has been very successful. I hope this is helpful and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Thanks again."

Or maybe do as they say and run that motomix, sort of like an after run oil we are used to, before putting up our planes for the winter. Might save some maintenance grief down the road.
I use Avgas just about exclusively in my gas engines. I have used maybe 2 gallons of auto gas in my engines all total in several years of flying gas engines. Shelf life of Avgas is measured in years. Think about it, all the full scales parked on the tarmac. It would be a show stopper if the fuel systems had to be cleaned every time the owner wanted to fly. I get mine at the local Muny airport. Just drive up in my car, put my credit card in and pump away. Cost is about 2$ more than auto gas. I can mix my own oil, thank you very much! No need for motomix

Avgas has a nice smell to it. No auto gas stench (which I really can't stand and neither can my wife).

Avgas has yet to cause ANY deterioration of the rubber parts in my carbs. Very compatible with same, probably for the same reason as above with full scales. Also, I'm finding that as I recommission certain engines after storage (2 years at least) they start right up and produce the same power as I remember.

To me, Avgas positives outweigh the negatives by a wide margin.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
JRgraham

Thanks Matt, I think I will try this out too. I pass the local airport on the way to the field, so how convenient is that to have gas available just a couple miles to or from the field!
The smell is a bonus too, and worth the extra couple bucks a gallon if you ask me! Anyway, thanks for that! I have a couple gallons of my usual ethy free 'clear gas' to burn up first, and will give the real avgas a try.

Are there different octane's as well, or what? Anything to look out for, to or not to get from someone never having been to the airport gas pump?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 PM
aerobear
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by MTK
.....To me, Avgas positives outweigh the negatives by a wide margin.
A couple of years ago you said you got 500-600 rpm stronger performance with automobile gas versus avgas. This was with the GT33. The GT33 in your 11 pound plane can afford to lose 500 rpm but in some applications that is a lot to give up. 500 rpm on a 20" prop is not insignificant. I expect the vvrc 40 will turn roughly similar props.

You point out some attractive reasons to use avgas but there is no reason not to tell the whole story.
MTK's avgas vs auto gas comparision is here
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11005338-100-octane-aviation-fuel-gasser-6.html#post11036660

Last edited by aerobear; 05-14-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:15 AM
RonMcCormick

Originally Posted by JRgraham
Thanks Matt, I think I will try this out too. I pass the local airport on the way to the field, so how convenient is that to have gas available just a couple miles to or from the field!
The smell is a bonus too, and worth the extra couple bucks a gallon if you ask me! Anyway, thanks for that! I have a couple gallons of my usual ethy free 'clear gas' to burn up first, and will give the real avgas a try.

Are there different octane's as well, or what? Anything to look out for, to or not to get from someone never having been to the airport gas pump?
I 2nd what Matt said, 100LL is what you will get, many airports have a tanker truck that goes out to the planes. Just go to the office and tell them what you want and they will tell you what the procedure is at your airport.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It would seem that buying more than a gallon at a time would also be prudent when going to the airport. Problem is, my can is only one gallon, so I would have to figure something out here. Trick is, measuring exactly a gallon to pour into my can. I need a flow meter on my funnel! I think I would like to buy 5 gallons at a time, but to me, my 1 gallon can for the flight line is way more convenient.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by JRgraham

JR- The only one you will find is Aviation Gasoline 100LL. the Octane rating is 100 and the LL means low lead. The high octane is not required for small gassie operation. We usually don't experience vapor lock or pre-detonation in our small gas enegines. The LoLead (as opposed to zero lead in car gas) seems to help protect the engine innards. I took apart the OS GT33 before the 2013 season started after about 20 gallons of running, and the inside was squeeky clean. I put it back together and flew the engine about another 10 gallons so far to now, same power and handling. I load the 33 down more than anybody yet the engine loves it, and I think Avgas plays a role there.

The only thing to note is the fact that Avgas reduces the peak RPM by a few hundred as compared to PREMIUM auto gas. In my application I NEVER EVER have to use full throttle so it is a moot point. BUT that may mean something to those that must use full throttle for the whole flight

Last edited by MTK; 05-15-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 AM
vertical grimmace

I had always heard that our engines did not want higher octane. I have always run the 85. I thought this was to keep the heat down?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by aerobear
A couple of years ago you said you got 500-600 rpm stronger performance with automobile gas versus avgas. This was with the GT33. The GT33 in your 11 pound plane can afford to lose 500 rpm but in some applications that is a lot to give up. 500 rpm on a 20" prop is not insignificant. I expect the vvrc 40 will turn roughly similar props.

You point out some attractive reasons to use avgas but there is no reason not to tell the whole story.
MTK's avgas vs auto gas comparision is here
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11005338-100-octane-aviation-fuel-gasser-6.html#post11036660
Read my other note to JR....

Hey might as well state the rest of the story of the GT33. It is a piped set-up using the ESComposites 40G pipe. I have used both the 30G and 40G and results are the same. That's the reason why you can only buy the 35G from Ed Skorepa, Mr. ES Composites currently. No need to carry multiple pipes if one will give you identical results in this engine displacement size (30cc to about 45cc). The length I use, exhaust flange to reflector baffle in the pipe, is 27". I've tried as long as 31" and the results were not any different. This is not a glow engine that needs a narrow tuning length to operate properly and it doesn't depend on this tune to time the ignition. BUT the pipe does improve RPM and most importantly Torque, over the muffler.

I use Bel Ray MC-1 Motorcycle Racing Synthetic at 50:1 in my Avgas. I use the same mix for break in as regular running. Sure it takes as many as 4 gallons to fully break in, but so what? Time at the field is well spent.

Lessee, anything else? Oh yeah, the GT33 spools up great running larger loads. The current one I'm using is my own design wood-carbon hybrid 20 1/4 x 12. Why go through thetrouble? Well, the wood-carbon hybrid weighs 77 grams while a similar APC 20 incer weighs 170 grams. The OS GT33 has a longer stroke than all of other 30cc class engines currently available and that's a major reason it can turn bigger lumber. The generated noise has to be heard to be appreciated. I have a couple vids on Utube that showcase the noise footprint quite well (Near whisper quiet)

I believe the 40 twin will turn this prop also but I have not tried it. I intend to run the 40 twin on a pair of 26G pipes also but I haven't gotten around to ordering the set from Ed yet. I don't have a plane for it yet so it can wait.

Last edited by MTK; 05-15-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:45 AM
vertical grimmace

I really like the MC 1 as well. I decided to switch to the recommended Stihl Ultra, because the Bel Rey shot up in price. Not sure now though. I may rethink that decision.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:45 AM
RonMcCormick

It would seem that buying more than a gallon at a time would also be prudent when going to the airport. Problem is, my can is only one gallon, so I would have to figure something out here. Trick is, measuring exactly a gallon to pour into my can. I need a flow meter on my funnel! I think I would like to buy 5 gallons at a time, but to me, my 1 gallon can for the flight line is way more convenient.
I buy two 5gallon cans full at a time. I have a 2 gallon field can, I mix 1 gal at a time in a clear 1 gal bottle and pour that into the field can. I have 111cc 55cc 35cc and 20cc gassers. With the clear 1gal bottle I pour in oil then fill to the same point each time.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by RonMcCormick
I buy two 5gallon cans full at a time. I have a 2 gallon field can, I mix 1 gal at a time in a clear 1 gal bottle and pour that into the field can. I have 111cc 55cc 35cc and 20cc gassers. With the clear 1gal bottle I pour in oil then fill to the same point each time.
Ron I buy my avgas in 5 gallon quantities too. MC-1 comes in convenient 12.8 ozs bottles. One bottle per 5 gallons is 50:1 so I mix the whole thing in one shot. 5 gallons used to last about 2-3 months but lately, with "old age" making a rude appearance, I don't get out as often as I want to. My hands and wrists have gotten so rickety, I can't hardly hold the TX AND tickle the sticks at the same time. KRAP!!! Can I say that??? or will RCU police fine me
Old 05-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Matt,

You might onsider using a transmitter tray like the flyers do in Europe.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:20 PM
RonMcCormick

Originally Posted by MTK
Ron I buy my avgas in 5 gallon quantities too. MC-1 comes in convenient 12.8 ozs bottles. One bottle per 5 gallons is 50:1 so I mix the whole thing in one shot. 5 gallons used to last about 2-3 months but lately, with "old age" making a rude appearance, I don't get out as often as I want to. My hands and wrists have gotten so rickety, I can't hardly hold the TX AND tickle the sticks at the same time. KRAP!!! Can I say that??? or will RCU police fine me
Yea Matt I know what you mean about old age being rude, I won't say anything cause the youngsters will think I'm wining! This year the weather has been so crappy I could have just bought 5gl.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:50 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by RonMcCormick
Yea Matt I know what you mean about old age being rude, I won't say anything cause the youngsters will think I'm wining! This year the weather has been so crappy I could have just bought 5gl.
I will look into this bulk gas buy thing. Not sure I want that much gasoline in my garage, but I will ponder it. I sure hate the smell of pump gas. One of the things that always turned me off when I started up with the gassers. I have also found gasoline to be more toxic to finishes/paint etc. Not the exhaust like glow fuel, but if raw gas gets on anything. The oils are really aggressive as well compared to glow. Have you guys noticed any less toxicity with the avgas? Like maybe some of the additives in the pump gas causing some of the problems?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
RonMcCormick

I will look into this bulk gas buy thing. Not sure I want that much gasoline in my garage, but I will ponder it. I sure hate the smell of pump gas. One of the things that always turned me off when I started up with the gassers. I have also found gasoline to be more toxic to finishes/paint etc. Not the exhaust like glow fuel, but if raw gas gets on anything. The oils are really aggressive as well compared to glow. Have you guys noticed any less toxicity with the avgas? Like maybe some of the additives in the pump gas causing some of the problems?
Toxic refers to affect on living organisms (40 years in the oil industry will do this to you) but I know what your talking about. I have not noticed any difference although I try not to get any raw fuel on anything, especially me. I would think a good coat of wax should protect the finish same as autos.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 PM
MTK

VG,
You may think of avgas as a slower evaporating solvent like various other things we use in this hobby. I doubt it is better or worse. It contains a little lead so it's not a good idea to sniff the exhaust chronically and continuously over a long time. That's about all the precaution I take

I have spilled it on painted fuses and haven't seen any adverse effects. But that's on well cured and dried paint. Fresh paint might be a different story. And I'd rather not find out. On the other hand, high nitro glow fuel (20+ %) seems to me to be more aggressive. BTW some of the better cleaner for the slight exhaust oil we get after a session is Simple Green. I dilute the concentrate 50% and it works super.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:57 AM
JRgraham

Since we are on a gas kick at the moment... the Chevron here started carrying ethy free gas, they call clear gas, and also the 100 and I think 110LL for off road use, they claim. Now I wonder if that is an equivalent to AvGas, the same as, or if its different stuff all together? I can't imagine the Chevron selling AvGas, but it does sound like it.
I was getting the good 'clear gas' from a local solvent supply that sells racing fuel (aka clear gas), and since Chevron is on way to the field, I started getting it from there.. its a slight different smell than the solvent place though, even though they seem to be claiming its the same stuff.. it cant be.
Anyone know what Chevron is up to?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 AM
vertical grimmace

When I was first learning about gas model airplane engines, the guys running them raved that it was the way to go, at the field and on the forums. I agree that they are the way to go, as all of my new aircraft for the most part are gas powered.
That being said, one of the things that was very misleading is that gas does not effect you finished plane, and that fuel proofing was not needed. Well this is wrong. The exhaust of gas is cleaner than glow, so that aspect does not need to be fuel proof. Raw gasoline on your finish, in my experience tends to be more aggressive than average, 15% glow fuel. So, Fuel proofing is required with both fuels where the presence of unburned fuel is an issue.
The big difference in my experience is that gas powered planes tend to be bigger. Bigger planes are not effected by exhaust as much as smaller planes. Also, glow engines tend to throw unburned fuel out the exhaust. Especially as so many run them rich. This will not be nice to your finish either.
It took me a couple of years to learn the full differences between the 2 types of fuels. Fuel proofing is required for both, but the exhaust aspect has a different effect.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Got mine for my RedwingRC MXS-R and LOVE IT! Great smoke and plenty of power. Runs on 100LL with Redline 2 stroke racing full synthetic at 32:1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00247.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	2002047   Click image for larger version

Name:	10340135_10201817133219338_2256811023335425570_n.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2002048   Click image for larger version

Name:	invert1.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2002049   Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke1.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2002050   Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke2.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2002051   Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke3.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2002052   Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke4.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2002053  

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 06-07-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:14 AM
sdgnsghu

Has anyone tried this engine?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:28 AM
rxwarrior

Ive had one for abought 3 months now and I just love it. I havn't had to change a needle setting from when it came from the store this is my sixth gaser and the best one yet overall.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:28 AM
fdbzdfhhu

vvrc 40cc twin. Has anyone tried this engine?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:34 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Go to the beginning of this thread and read!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.