Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Removing G-62 spring start

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Pelle Gris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing G-62 spring start

Hello.

I have a second hand G-62 that had a spring start installed when I bought it. I didīnt nned it. so I removed the spring and everything but the center part, that attaches to the crankshaft, which I have not been able to remove. Is it screwed on the end of the crank, or do I need to use some sort of puller to remove it?

I have tried to unscrew it with a large wrench, and even after heating the crank slightly with a burner, I have not been able to make it budge. Iīm afraid to twist the crank, since the only way I can hold the crank is by installing a prop on the engine, and using that to hold against the direction of travel.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130902_011748.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	1915623  
Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The end of the crankshaft is threaded and the spring starter "sleeve" (what you want to remove) is threaded onto it. They may have used super loctite on it and you may have to heat it up more and use a large wrench or socket to break it loose.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Pelle Gris

Thanks for your reply. I will be a bit more "forceful" in the next attempt. :-)
Old 09-01-2013, 04:39 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The crankshaft will twist as the front and rear of the crankshaft are held together by the crank pin and it is a press fit.

If you put a lot of torque on the sleeve while holding onto an old prop, you stand the chance of twisting the crankshaft at the crank pin. The result will appear as a bent crankshaft. Then you will have to get someone to straighten it for you.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

If proper procedures fail....Place the bushing on an anvil and give a wack with a BFH. The sleve is hardened and brittle. It will often just shatter

Last edited by tkg; 09-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Captain John

Another option...cut the shaft off with a good dremel cut off wheel. Keep the seal area cool with a wet rag so as not to damage seal. Capt,n
Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Pelle Gris

I might try the hammer procedure if all else fails. Sounds like fun. :-)
Itīs not an option to cut the shaft though as I need the rear shaft intact.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by Pelle Gris
I might try the hammer procedure if all else fails. Sounds like fun. :-)
Itīs not an option to cut the shaft though as I need the rear shaft intact.
I would try heating up the sleeve end a bit, while the engine is clamped down and put a wrench on the sleeve and apply pressure to loosen it. While under pressure use a ball peen hammer(brass one if you have) and tap/hit the end of the sleeve. The shock should break it free.. Also the tip for stuffing a wet rag around the base of the crank against the seal is a good one to keep it from overheating,
What the poster was referring to when cutting if off was not cutting off the entire rear shaft diagonally. What you would do is carefully cut the sleeve longitudinally . Only make a cut deep enough so as not to cut into the crank. Go a little at a time. Once you have a notch cut you can take a chisel or screwdriver and possibly pry it apart so it slides off. If not you would have to make another cut 180 degrees around so it comes off in two pieces.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 09-02-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Pelle Gris

Good idea. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Pelle Gris

Success!! Using a mixture of heat, a hammer and a Proxxon I was able to remove the old sleeve from the crank with no apparent damage to the engine. Thanks for your suggestions all.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM
flyinwalenda

Good job!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM
TXAG96
My Feedback: (1)

I understaqnd you were able to remove the sleeve but i thought I would offer some advice on how to prevent the engine from turning for the next time. Simply remove the spark plug and feed some soft rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Be careful not to get the rope into the intake or exhaust port and leave plenty hanging out the hole. The rope will stop the engine from being able to rotate and make it very easy to remove threaded items from the crankshaft. When you are done just pull the rope out. Simple and works great with little risk of damage. I have used this technique many times.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Pelle Gris

Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about using some form of stop for the piston, but I was afraid that it might damage the con rod if I were to put too much force into removing the sleeve. But I guess itīs made to be solid. :-)