DLE 35ra 120 deg. ignition cap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:16 AM
IMAC781
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 35ra 120 deg. ignition cap

Guys,
I read about problems getting the cap to stay on the NGK CM-6 plug so I firmly pushed the cap on the plug. Now I read about bad timing settings from the factory and want to use my CH degree wheel to check it out before I start it so I don't go misadjusting the carb when the timing is off. I need to remove the plug to find TDC. Sounds lame, but I can't get the 120 deg. cap and boot off the plug. Before I get "firm" about pulling off the cap (which BTW has DLE printed on it) does anyone have a suggestion or general comment about this RCXell ign. module, 120 deg. DLE spark plug cap/NGK CM-6 plug or stock timing on the DLE 35ra engine?
Chris in Miami
Old 11-10-2013, 03:44 PM
IMAC781

Default Sorry for the lame post

Okay, after taking the cap on and off a few times I realize it is the circlip at the large end of the cap needed some excersize. I took the circlip off and put it back on and now the cap goes on and off the CM-6 reasonably easily. In the sticky by Bob Pastorello there is a link that mentions replacing the steel circlip with a silicone ring. Is that too vulnerable to vibration?
Chris in Miami
Old 11-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

All of these caps are much harder to install and remove the first few times. After that they remain secure when on the plug but are much easier to remove. Frankly, I'm thankful for their secure nature and just pry them off with a small screwdriver when still new and tight. I have never tried the silicone tubing ring so can't comment on how that works. I have removed the steel ring on one occasion and replaced it with a small screw type hose clamp that seemed to work extremely well. I would highly recommend the clamp!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 AM
IMAC781

Thanks Truckracer. The last few years I've been flying DA ign. and never had this circlip issue. I did read some posts about fellows who had problems from not seating the RCXell cap completely on the plug. Looks like a non-issue all in my head. I haven't used the clamp since an early CH; it does take the guesswork out of this business. Not sure if the fins on the DLE leave enough room but if they do I will use a clamp.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

If the ignition cap metal ring gets loose I have used small worm gear hose clamps on DAs and DLEs with good results.