Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

OS GT22 vs DLE 20R

Old 11-18-2013, 05:06 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS GT22 vs DLE 20R

Hello all, just looking to get opinions of the OS GT22, I recently bought the Seagull silence twister airplane arf and want to power it with a gas engine. I inishally was thinking about the DLE 20 but was side tracked today with the thought of the GT22, Im thinking the GT22 will be a better fit inside the cawl with out having to do alot of cutting on it. My main question is, is it worth the 400.00 price tag? Yes its very pricy for me but I can do it. The silence twister is a .91-1.20 size plane and it should be a perfect match for it.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 PM
CustomPC

Performance is near identical.

The OS is heavier, plus the weight of the supplied muffler is also heavier.

There won't be much between them width-wise with the muffler installed. The OS's exhaust outlet will be behind the head on the center line of the cowl which i find often looks better. If you have a slim cowl the new DL20RA rear exhaust will be the best fit.

The OS's muffler 'is' a muffler. ie. It actually muffles to some degree and is not just a hollow can.

Quality wise the OS is better made but the DLE's are not poorly made engines and i'd be happy with either.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM
flartz

I recently started flying two planes with the GT22, a H9 Taylorcraft (7kg) and a Graupner Sea Fury (6kg). All electric before that. Both are designed for 90-120 glow engines, so a 22cc petrol engine is about right. Both fly well and handle nicely with the GT22, but they are not overpowered. A good combination for someone like me who is new to large planes and petrol engines. The engines are both still new and not fully run in, 16 flights on the Tayorcraft and only 1 flight on the Sea Fury, so I suspect they will both fly better with more running time. I chose the GT22 because of the high quality and reputation of OS Engines and the extra weight which helps with balancing both these planes. I think the GT22 is worth the extra $. If you can't spend the $ or don't want to, then plenty of folks fly the DLE20 and are happy with them. Good luck. Sean
Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

I would pick the DLE over the OS for no more reason than the cost. DLE engines are very reliable. If you don't fly just about every day, you will not likely ever wear one out.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM
SCOTT42

Thank you guys, I do own a DLE 35R and love it, I think im going to go with the DLE 20R.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Granpooba

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered a Seagull Space Walker II ( .120 ) size, of which I will be powering it with my new OS GT 22.
Also have a new Hanger 9 Christen Eagle of which I will be powering it with my DLE-20.
DLE-20 was in a Great Planes Revolver 70, but Mother Earth ate it.
If I were again to purchase a gas engine in the 20 size, I might opt for the DLE-20RA.
I guess it just comes down to a matter of personal choice.

Last edited by Granpooba; 11-21-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 AM
SCOTT42

I have asked santa/the wife for the seagull GEE BEE120 now I just hope they deliver, I will be powering it with a DLE 20 RA.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Texastbird

I don't have a dog in this race, but I've seen and heard good things about this one.
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/v...as-engine.html
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
I don't have a dog in this race, but I've seen and heard good things about this one.
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/v...as-engine.html
Have also heard and read good reviews about this engine. For the price, how could you go wrong ?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DLE20 would be my choice.

I don't know what the OS gives you to justify the massive price premium
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 AM
oldbassard

Tim

Thanks for saying that statement, it sort of opens a door for me. As a retired engineer I do understand what OS gives you, to justify the price and will be happy to share that information. Some of this explanation, many here may not comprehend.

OS and a few others design their engines from beginning to the end. First they do use the best aircraft grade alloys to make their engines. I have seen a lot of engine companies falsely make this claim. Many just use recycled aluminum, which is obvious when you know a little about metallurgy.

Quality engine companies test different cooling fin configurations to see what design cool their cylinders best. Air cooled engine run hotter inside than water cooled engine so ability to cool is vital to the life of the engine. I have seen an own a chicom engine that has very deep, thin cooling fins that are inadequate because the fins aren't thick enough to properly distribute the heat from the cylinder, but they are deep and there are a lot of them so it just looks like it would.

Many of these cheap engines, the first thing you need to do is replace the spark plug, ring, electronic ignition system and carburetor. A lot of the chicom engines use cheaply copied carburetors made with sub standard diaphragms and other parts which causes a lot of erratic running problems, not counting sub standard electronics in some. If you read here about the engine problems, a great deal of them are caused by cheaply produced parts not counting that many engines are so out of time, they run hot, weak or not at all, right out of the box.

If you asked a lot of the guys here they will tell you their chicom 30 engine has the power of a quality made 20 when it's running right. I don't know how accurate that is, but I do know they have less power because of the afore mentioned points. Also a lot of the guys here will tell you they have to rebuild their cheaper chicom engines several times to a quality engines once.

I do understand DLE made some really great advances particularly with their RA series, I have been looking at the 35 RA, for a future build. I did read a post here saying the first thing the customer had to do to his was set the timing. But that's no big deal to me.

You asked what justifies the massive premium, the simple answer is quality. As a rule when you buy a higher priced engine, you are also paying for research, development and quality parts.

I am not knocking the chicom engines many here love them, and rightfully so. We all have the right to our own opinions and choices. I like some of the chicom engines, I currently own an OS GT 22 that swings the same exact prop recommended for a chicom 26 I also own, the OS GT 22 swings it faster and with original equipment on both, the OS is MUCH less likely to dead stick.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 AM
TimBle

In my experience the OS engines have offered nothing over their DLE competitors. A mate of mine had a OS 33GT but after about 500min of running all hell has broken loose. The liner appears to be loose and has shifted. The engine deasticked and cost him his PRC Yak 54. He is now having trouble getting repaired because its going to cost him. The local agent does not offer a warranty on the engine, it has to go back to Japan.
None of my DLE's has missed a beat.
The RCEXL CDI's are used by Saito, OS, and appear to be more reliable than the units offered by MVVS, DA, 3W and other high end high quality engines.

to me quality is what gets you to the flying field and allows hours of enjoyment, not top dollar.

I appreciate the attributes the expensive engines offer ( I have a few myself....) but the DLE's are very hard to overlook simply because they're from China
Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Just ordered a Seagull Space Walker II ( .120 ) size, of which I will be powering it with my new OS GT 22.
Also have a new Hanger 9 Christen Eagle of which I will be powering it with my DLE-20.
DLE-20 was in a Great Planes Revolver 70, but Mother Earth ate it.
If I were again to purchase a gas engine in the 20 size, I might opt for the DLE-20RA.
I guess it just comes down to a matter of personal choice.
Change in engine planning:

Great Planes Revolver 70 will once again get the DLE-20, with Pitts style muffler.

Seagull Space Walker II 1.20 will be getting the OS GT 22.

Hanger 9 Christen Eagle will be getting a Saito 125 Four Stroke. Once I purchase it.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:46 PM
AGNI 5

Granpooba.Good plan. I have a number of Petrol engines however I am hanging on to my 4C glow engines . The Saito 125 is terrific performer on 15% nitro and 20% CP multi viscosity oil.You will not be disappointed.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by AGNI 5 View Post
Granpooba.Good plan. I have a number of Petrol engines however I am hanging on to my 4C glow engines . The Saito 125 is terrific performer on 15% nitro and 20% CP multi viscosity oil.You will not be disappointed.
Thank you for confirming my engine selection.

I have a number of 2 stroke and 4 stroke, plus a couple of gassers. Just thinking what I have decided for the engine power for the models selected was the best selection.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Kentli22

DLE-20 is a no-headache engine right out of the box, the run in is simple, the needle adjustment is simple. However, the stock muffler must go away unless very loud noice is not an issue. I replaced the stock muffler with a OS GT22 stock muffler, it fits great and the sound level decreases so much that it actually becomes a very nice sound to hear, only that the WOT rpm drops from 9000 to 8400 provided all other factors remained the same. It makes me wonder how a company could make such an inexpensive product which is so user friendly and so reliable. If just by copying and using low end materials can do the job, why there aren't others in the market?
If I would to choose between DLE-20 and OS GT22, I will choose the DLE-20. I own both and fly both of them. The only difference I see between them is just the price. I haven't fly them long enough to justify their durabillity, but I have a feeling that both of them are durable and easy to take care down the road.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:18 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

GT22

why? same reason my O.S. FS-120 that was bought in 1993 still runs today and starts on the 2nd or 3rd flip. Quality. In fact every O.S. I've ever bought still runs and runs well. Don't need much more of a reason that that

DLE20 has great reviews though…I don't see any reason not to get one of those at this point.. its currently $225 for a DLE20 or $340 ish for the GT22. Either seem like good deals to me.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:21 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Bringing back an old thread.

Weight difference is 870g(dle) and 1005g(os)
Power is 2.5hp(dle) and 2.6hp(os).
Prics is 300ish for the dle and 400ish for the os.

I would like to turn a 16x8 apc around 8000-8500 rpm.

The engine will be in an old 90 size aeroworks edge and will be replacing a ys120fz.

Opinions?

Thanks
Tony

Last edited by vatechguy3; 11-05-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not sure I can help much with a recommendation but can add a bit of info about the DLE 20. It has been improved a bit since this thread originated. It now has an improved crankshaft with a stronger lower rod bearing. The Rcexl ignition has also been updated with a slightly smaller size box and increased voltage range. These are now well proven engines but you won't go wrong with most of the common 20 sized engines on the market.