Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Can Spark Plug Ignition Wire Shielding be Repaired or Replaced?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Can Spark Plug Ignition Wire Shielding be Repaired or Replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can Spark Plug Ignition Wire Shielding be Repaired or Replaced?

I have a run away throttle problem with my DA -50 and have finally found the problem (I think). The shielding on the plug wire has frayed completely right where it enters the ignition box.
Can it be repaired or replaced? I can see no way to get into the ignition box as it's completely sealed.
DA wants $140. for their replacement and RCXL only wants $50. for theirs. That's a huge difference. What is the difference?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:41 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Money! Get in touch with Adrien at http://www.ch-ignitions.com/ and tell him what you need. You'll get the best service and ignition module from him. Dan.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Octopus RC
My Feedback: (2)

Just as what you saw there was sealed , it can not be replaced .
Old 11-20-2013, 07:06 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DA and RCexl are completely different beast.

DA is timed different than RCexl, DA is timed close to top dead and and RCexl has to be timed between 28-30 degrees before top dead center.

We make a sensor bracket that allows you to use RCexl without having to drill and tap new holes.

http://www.rcextremepower.net/DAIgnitions.html

Milton

Originally Posted by catboater
I have a run away throttle problem with my DA -50 and have finally found the problem (I think). The shielding on the plug wire has frayed completely right where it enters the ignition box.
Can it be repaired or replaced? I can see no way to get into the ignition box as it's completely sealed.
DA wants $140. for their replacement and RCXL only wants $50. for theirs. That's a huge difference. What is the difference?

Last edited by BadAzzMaxx; 11-20-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I would remove the plug cap and slip this http://www.mcmaster.com/#5537k26/=ph2bfl over the existing frayed area. Use a small band of heat shrink tubing near the case of the ignition and the free end to seal and make electrical connection. For a few bucks it's worth a try.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Just get a new module and bracket from Milton. He's a great guy to deal with. For $80, it's cheap insurance vs. trying to repair it and having it fail.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Hallo
I would remove the plug cap and slip this http://www.mcmaster.com/#5537k26/=ph2bfl over the existing frayed area. Use a small band of heat shrink tubing near the case of the ignition and the free end to seal and make electrical connection. For a few bucks it's worth a try.
This should work okay. A wire braid is, afterall, a simple wire braid surrounding a wire as a shield. You could also add some silicone rubber RTV under the heat shrink and over the braid splice. You don't want wires rubbing. I've done this in an RC truck that came with a 27 band radio and had all kinds of control issues. Once I changed the radio (72MHz FM) and installed an extra shield braid on the cable, I never got another glitch.

The effectiveness will depend to an extent on the type of radio you have. If it's a late model FM or PCM on 72 MHz or a 2.4 GHz Frequency hopper, you should not have any radio issues. If its 27 MHz, or other, it may be a problem even after a perfect mechanical repair.

If not sure you can do a good repair, get a new module or get someone to install a new cable for you.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
This should work okay. A wire braid is, afterall, a simple wire braid surrounding a wire as a shield. You could also add some silicone rubber RTV under the heat shrink and over the braid splice. You don't want wires rubbing. I've done this in an RC truck that came with a 27 band radio and had all kinds of control issues. Once I changed the radio (72MHz FM) and installed an extra shield braid on the cable, I never got another glitch.

The effectiveness will depend to an extent on the type of radio you have. If it's a late model FM or PCM on 72 MHz or a 2.4 GHz Frequency hopper, you should not have any radio issues. If its 27 MHz, or other, it may be a problem even after a perfect mechanical repair.

If not sure you can do a good repair, get a new module or get someone to install a new cable for you.
Don't forget the braid is also the return path for the spark energy. It's not only a shield but also a conductor. I wouldn't have a problem putting a new braid over the old existing braid but only if there was good braid integrity at both ends .... at the ignition box and the plug boot shield. I would want the new braid to have good contact with the existing braid and an overall shrink sleeve could accomplish this goal.

With all this said, it sounded like the original braid was broken loose at the ignition box so it would be hard to accomplish a good physical and electrical repair at this end of the cable. If it were mine, I'd just replace the box and there is certainly nothing wrong with the low cost alternative that has been suggested.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 AM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

I disagree with many opinions of this thread.
I've repaired the metal shield dozens times in DA ignitions and much more in RCEXL and more brands..

See in this forum the way to repair the shield with the kit supplied by RCEXL factory.
(text is in Spanish language but pictures show the method.

http://www.acro3d.com/public/phpbb3/...hp?f=6&t=12140

No one returned with ignition problems.

Best regards
Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mpascual
I disagree with many opinions of this thread.
I've repaired the metal shield dozens times in DA ignitions and much more in RCEXL and more brands..

See in this forum the way to repair the shield with the kit supplied by RCEXL factory.
(text is in Spanish language but pictures show the method.

http://www.acro3d.com/public/phpbb3/...hp?f=6&t=12140

No one returned with ignition problems.

Best regards
The methods shown in the photos look fine to me. They accomplish both a good electrical and physical connection at the ignition box while maintaining good shielding integrity in the process. Nothing to argue about or disagree with there! There could be problems with reliability if the insulation on the center conductor was severely damaged.