Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
REVIEW! New RCGF 26CC Beam Mount engine >

REVIEW! New RCGF 26CC Beam Mount engine

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

REVIEW! New RCGF 26CC Beam Mount engine

Old 06-19-2014, 11:57 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lean-run
Hi,
Have a couple of RCGF 20cc BM engines, just wondering if the 26cc BM has the same mounting foot-print?
I think the term "footprint" can be thought of differently depending on which aspect you're thinking of. So I'll say this....It kind of does, but it kinda doesn't. From the back of the carb to the thrust washer is exactly the same. So your cowl to spinner backplate gap would be unchanged. However, since the 26cc has a longer stroke, the crank case has to be bigger. 7mm wider to be exact. So you would have to make new holes in your firewall for the beams to mount up (not a big deal). Also, the holes spacing is 1mm wider on the 26cc. But being that close I'd bet you could simply clean the mounting holes (on the motor) up a little bit to give you some leeway and be able to mount the engine to the same mounts you're using for your 20cc and keep the cowl/spinner gap the same without having to remeasure and drill.

Here is a page with the diagram and measurements on the 26cc....http://www.zjrcgf.com/ProductView.aspx?id=18953

Here is the diagram for the 20cc...http://www.zjrcgf.com/ProductView.aspx?id=18951

So all in all, you'd just have to drill a couple holes in the firewall, throw some blind nuts in them and bolt it all up. All your rods and connectors for the throttle and choke won't need and changes which makes things nice and simple too.

Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 06-20-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Captmicom
Hi Lean Run,

Yes it does have the same foot print. It looks just like the RCGF 20cc Beam V1.. There is a new 20cc beam that is the same foot print as the 15cc Beam mount called "The 20cc SB.
Hey Joe, did you get my private message?

I'll call tomorrow. Hopefully around noon. I got caught up with stuff today and was going to call you tonight but it was almost 10pm and didn't want to bother you that late.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 AM

Thanks for info, mach2.

That's the mounting measurements I was looking for. Should have added a bit more explanation to what I wanted. Didn't know if it was stroked or bored or both now I do.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:39 AM

Hi Jeremy,

No I did not get a notice that I had any PMs form anyone. Turns out that I had 9 PMs. Give me a haller when you can. If anyone else needs RCGF parts or work send me an email at jnelson at swaerovista dot com.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 PM

Hey all, I put my old junk canopy to use. I bolted a small video camera on the Edge today. I thought I'd post one of the videos so you can see how the 26 is currently running. I should have more than 17 flights on it by now, but a busy schedule, crazy heat and too many windy days are killing my flying time.

Anyway, I don't have any more Redwing 3D props so I was running a Xoar 18x6 today. With the camera on, the plane has to weigh well over 11 pounds (which is more than the average 30-35cc planes) and the little 26 could still hover this plane at a little over 1/2 throttle. It sounds like I'm giving a lot of throttle, but it's just that the camera mic is so sensitive.

A short hover at 1:50 followed by a cool blender. Then a good 18 second hover at 5:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHD-KT649QY&feature=youtube_gdata

Enjoy,
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140725_114611.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2017427  

Last edited by mach2; 07-25-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 AM

Good video mach2. Sounds great too.

I have a 26ccBM engine, not run yet.

By the looks of your flight, and if its anything like the 20cc (and 30% bigger) I reckon it should power a 30cc size model ok.

When the weather starts to improve and finish and fly current projects, maybe try it in a 30 size Edge or similar.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:21 PM

I've been thinking of pulling the motor and selling the plane to fund a new 30cc plane to put the 26 BM into. The current Edge is an old airplane and I dont think it was designed for hardcore 3D flying. Even if it was, it wasn't built with the new light weight construction methods. I think this motor would be great in one of the many new light weight 30cc airframes on the market. Im sure they are very close to the weight of my 67" Edge, but with much more wing area. The only problem may be that the engine is so light that it may cause a tail heavy condition without adding front weight. If you could balance the plane without adding any weight, it would make for a super light weight plane.

Im also thinking of selling the plane as a whole and getting a 30cc plane and powering it with a RCGF 32. I just dont know which one I'd get. Options are a Slick 540, MXSR or Extra 330 from Redwing. Or a Raven or MX2 from Skyline. Too many choices! If I do this, it will take some money I could use for a 50cc plane. Weak.

Last edited by mach2; 07-27-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 PM

Hey Joe, this is off the main topic here, but did you ever fly the big Decathlon (or cub or whatever it was) flying with the 20cc engine? I was looking forward to seeing that.

Jeremy
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 PM

Hey Jeremy,

Yes we did fly the 100" span Super Decathlon with the RCGF 20cc engine in it. It was more a nudge from a friend in Italy that said we Americans are always over powering our planes. As I watched him time after time flying planes with 1/3 to 1/2 the power plant less than I would use I got to thinking that maybe he was right. The rest as they say is history. I was running the RCGF 20cc with a Xoar 18 X 7 prop on it. On the deck the engine was taching out right at 7200 RPM. In the air we picked up about 800 more RPM. I got to fly it 6 times and every time was a delight. It had all the power it needed to do all of the standard aerobatics. As you know, in my business all of the planes that I build are subject to sell if the price is right. Sadly the Super met that fate. A long time friend in the RC hobby saw a friend and I having so much fun with it that he bought it on the spot. We did even get to put any hanger rash on it. The best I can do is share a video of Walter flying a Blue one with about a 60 size electric motor in it. Sorry for not getting any video of my Super D for you to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiSXFZG9vt8

Enjoy!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by lean-run
Good video mach2. Sounds great too.

I have a 26ccBM engine, not run yet.

By the looks of your flight, and if its anything like the 20cc (and 30% bigger) I reckon it should power a 30cc size model ok.

When the weather starts to improve and finish and fly current projects, maybe try it in a 30 size Edge or similar.
Hey lean-run, keep us posted on what you end up doing with your 26BM. Here are some planes I would look at very strongly if I were in your position.

This would be my number 1 if you could get your hands on one. If PAU is good enough for Gabby, its good enough for me!
http://flypau.com/3035cc-c-1_5/edge-...-35cc-p-3.html

This would be a close second. I'm a BIG fan of Redwing RC. They are a great small company with awesome customer support. Not to mention it's just a great plane at a decent price! It's probably the lightest of the bunch, so maybe the best choice for the 26ccBM.
http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=244

Third would be the Aeroworks Edge 540. It's a pretty large 30cc plane and probably a little heavier than most. Aeroworks construction is second to none, but along with that comes a little extra weight. A very nice plane, but costs nearly as much as some 50cc planes...
http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=442

Oh, it's not an Edge, but this red MXSR is a pretty darn good looking plane. And check out that first flight video. Impressive!
http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=15

Anyway, I ended up selling my Edge with the 26BM to another RCU member and I'm sure he is going to enjoy it. So, I went big and got me a 50cc Extra 300. It's a lightly used plane that looks brand new. He had a DA50 in it, but I bought the airframe only. I've got a RCGF 60cc single that is going to be powering it. It should be great. Luckily the 60 has the exact same dimensions as the DA50 so it bolts right up to the existing holes. I've also got a Sullivan smoke pump from an old Revolver.

So needless to say, I'm really looking forward to see the big Extra smoking up the sky being towed around by the RCGF 60.

For anyone who is interested, I'm going to be doing another review on the RCGF 60cc single. Like the 26BM, the 60 has two piston rings so I'm sure its going to be a power/torque monster like the 26 is. I don't think the power of the little 26 was a fluke. I like my DLE20, but I think I'm going to end up being an RCGF guy.

Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 08-25-2014 at 10:14 PM.