Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

FUEL LINE ID for DLE 20

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Firewalkerd1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FUEL LINE ID for DLE 20

I am interested in a DLE 20 and would like to know what ID of fuel line should be used?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Standard fuel lines come in 3/32" and 1/8" ID with 1/8" being the most common. Either would be adequate for the 20 and most any other gasser. A wise man once showed me that fuel could siphon out of either of these size lines much faster than any of the common sized engines could ever burn it. If you get up in the 200cc or so range, maybe larger lines would be necessary but that isn't an issue for this discussion.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:24 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For smaller gas engines running smaller fuel tanks, the smaller 3/32"id is more flexible for use as a clunk line in the tank.
Also, if you're using a typical glow fuel tank with gas stopper. The OD of the brass tubing is 1/8", not a good fit with the larger 1/8" ID fuel line, ya need a little stretch factor, or you'll risk getting air in the fuel line.
Pete
Old 03-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Truckracer

I agree regarding the clunk line size and usually use the smaller 3/32" line in smaller tanks. Not sure I agree at all regarding not using 1/8" line with 1/8" tubing from the tanks. What's wrong with that? I do use the DuBro solder on barbs on the brass tubing and secure the line with ty-wraps. 1/8" is the standard size Tygon line available from DuBro and many other vendors and you have to look around a bit to find the the smaller 3/32" ... usually at an outdoor equipment shop, etc. DuBro also sells the 3/32" line but it is not as common as the 1/8". When using smaller line, I usually buy something like Stihl or Echo line as used in chainsaws and string trimmers. Note too that all Walbro carbs as used on most gas engines have similar sized fuel fittings which can be difficult to push the smaller line onto. 1/8" is a perfect fit for most of these fittings. Heating the line a bit makes installation easier.

Last edited by Truckracer; 03-13-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, now that's strange. I keep both sizes of fuel tubing in stock, and most often use the 3/32" instead of the 1/8". The 1/8" seems a bit of a loose fit in most cases. But then I deal almost exclusively with engine conversions from weedeaters, leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc., whether it be converting them for flying, or repairing the original machines to sell.

I have about 8 gas airplanes flying at the moment, and they all have various converted engines. Love them!! The Chinese engines might be a bit lighter in some cases, but you can't beat Stihl and Echo quality, and for our purposes, Homelite and Ryobi not far behind. I've been flying converted engines for almost 15 years, and have never had a single bearing, crankshaft, or piston/ring failure. And I have both Echo and Homelite engines that turn 9400 rpms on the ground, and a Zenoah clone that I built that turns 10,200 on the ground.

AV8TOR
Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Truckracer

I think we're dealing with personal preference issues here and the major point should probably be that either 3/32" or 1/8" are both more than adequate for most any gas engine installation.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I agree regarding the clunk line size and usually use the smaller 3/32" line in smaller tanks. Not sure I agree at all regarding not using 1/8" line with 1/8" tubing from the tanks. What's wrong with that? I do use the DuBro solder on barbs on the brass tubing and secure the line with ty-wraps. 1/8" is the standard size Tygon line available from DuBro and many other vendors and you have to look around a bit to find the the smaller 3/32" ... usually at an outdoor equipment shop, etc. DuBro also sells the 3/32" line but it is not as common as the 1/8". When using smaller line, I usually buy something like Stihl or Echo line as used in chainsaws and string trimmers. Note too that all Walbro carbs as used on most gas engines have similar sized fuel fittings which can be difficult to push the smaller line onto. 1/8" is a perfect fit for most of these fittings. Heating the line a bit makes installation easier.
+1000, TR !
The "trick" to our fuel line setups is the barbs and ty-wraps. The tightest fit fuel tubing on smooth tubing will slip after exposure to gas after awhile. Particularly the clunk line in the tank; that is THE line that MUST have barbs and ty wraps to make sure you don't worry about it.