Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Looong Fuel Lines and a Saito 125

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Thunderpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looong Fuel Lines and a Saito 125

Hey all,

If anyone has good advice or experience with this issue.....

I am building a 1/9 scale B-17 with 4x Saito 125s for power. With regards to the fuel tank arrangement depicted; the outboard engines are not a problem as the fuel tanks are located right behind the bulkhead.

However, the inboards are another issue. The fuel tanks are located behind the wheel wells and have 14 inches of fuel and vent line between the fuel tank and carb. I am planning on using the stock mufflers with exhaust pressure to pressurize the fuel line. I am concerned about idling and low power flight regimes i.e. short final!!!

Has anyone ever run a 4 stroke with this much fuel line? If so I would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:03 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run cline fuel regulators and onboard glow,easy to fit.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Is this the FG.21 Gas engine you have?

Last edited by Cyberwolf; 04-09-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Thunderpilot

Thanks for the info. I looked into both Cline and Iron Bay for fuel regulators but neither business seems to exist anymore. Hmmmm. I really don't relish the idea of tapping the engine and using a Perry pump. I have a call in with Saito. I guess I will see what they say.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Rudolph Hart

Thunder you don't need to tap the engine the perry pump works of the crankcase breather nipple for the vp30 and engine vibration for the vp20 look them up on the web.I have two perry pumps but have yet to use them.A friend has used them and i've helped to resolve tuning issues but so far results have been very inconsistent.

ps try 'bills room' for the cline regulator
Old 04-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Cyberwolf

Your question may be better answered in the Glow engine forum. But what ever you do Do Not Block Off The Breather Nipple by hooking into a pump or reg. FYI if it was mine I would look for a means to move the tank closer to the engine.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Thunderpilot

Yep, I am with ya Cyberwolf. I have to move one servo tray to another wing bay and reroute some goldenrod but I will be able to get the fuel tanks about 5 inches closer to the carb. So although the fuel lines will still be about 9 inches long on the inboards I think that will work out ok. That will also solve my fuel line routing issues. I do agree based on reading the instructions for the Saito and looking on line that using the breather to drive a pump is not the thing to do. Things should end up ok.

Thanks for the input from everyone.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 AM
Rudolph Hart

Fitting a vp30 perry pump to use crankcase pulses via the crankcase breather does NOT in any way block the crankcase breather nipple from doing it's job.Do your homework cyberwolf before giving out information that is just plain wrong.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Cyberwolf

No old fart please read what was said to start with before you jump off the bridge.Frankly I don't care what you do with your own engine's but as for any of mine I refuse to run oil and excess exhaust residue through a Pump or Regulator
QUOTE! But what ever you do Do Not Block Off The Breather Nipple by hooking into a pump or reg.UNQUOTE.
NOTICE THE WORD's BLOCK OFF!!!!!! are those 2 little words to tough for you to comprehend?
Besides this thread belongs in the glow forum to start with.

Last edited by Cyberwolf; 04-11-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Thunderpilot

Calm down guys.....This is supposed to be a hobby i.e. fun. They are all just fancy toys for big boys after all. Everyone has a slightly different take on things. I appreciate the input from everyone.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberwolf
No old fart please read what was said to start with before you jump off the bridge.Frankly I don't care what you do with your own engine's but as for any of mine I refuse to run oil and excess exhaust residue through a Pump or Regulator
QUOTE! But what ever you do Do Not Block Off The Breather Nipple by hooking into a pump or reg.UNQUOTE.
NOTICE THE WORD's BLOCK OFF!!!!!! are those 2 little words to tough for you to comprehend?
Besides this thread belongs in the glow forum to start with.

The directions that came with my Perry Pumps warned against using it connected to a 4 stroke crankcase vent. They further warned the pump would not function properly if any oil was allowed to collect in the pressure line or if it was allowed to enter the pump diaphragm chamber. Just sayin ....

While I'm sure people have adapted these pumps to 4 strokes with good results, this wouldn't be my first choice.

Last edited by Truckracer; 04-11-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/i...es/Page438.htm
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Thunderpilot

Yep, I found that page but can't email company and phone number says no longer available.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those regulators are nothing but the regulator part of a weed whacker carburetor anyway.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM
roadhawgy

Try a vp20 perry pump, they work very well on 4 strokes
Old 04-11-2014, 12:52 PM
LarsL

Originally Posted by Thunderpilot
Yep, I found that page but can't email company and phone number says no longer available.
I just ordered 4 of their regulators a few months ago. I sent them an e-mail order, they sent me an invoice through Paypal, I paid and voila. I do recall that it took a month or two to get them but I was patient. I recognize that this is not their main business.

Lars
Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I I knew I could find it! look here 4 engines one tank http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin...tank-done.html