Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Zenoah G-62 Spring Starter installation question?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G-62 Spring Starter installation question?

Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 AM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zenoah G-62 Spring Starter installation question?

G-62 Spring Starter as sold by Zenoah (not BB)

Zenoah G-62

Do you use the spring starter on your G-62?

If so the instructions show "part 1" screwing onto the crankshaft aft....and says not to hold prop hub
to tighten as it will cause "crank twisting"

Do you just screw on "part 1-2" onto the engine by hand?

Thanks in advance!

Also---I test ran my engine yesterday and ran great....after learning the correct prop procedure---I am thinking about installing the Spring starter....was not going to but my arm says PLEASE!

Do you all recommend the Spring Starter? I can use the weight as it is going into a 60CC Corsair.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can tolerate the weight, I like the spring starters on the Zenoahs! Just don't overwind them as you will overstress and distort the spring. You can hold the crank by placing a bit of rope in the cylinder through the plug opening. The piston can't compress the rope and is an effective, no damage method of holding the crank to tighten the nut.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 AM
CaptRKO

I actually do not have a "nut" to tighten.....its a long piece with two flat ends on one side that screws on to rear of the engine. This is not the BB starter but the one Zenoah/Horizon hobby sells.

Any ideas?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I would convert to ignition with Rcexel equipment and use a Tech-Aero IBEC to save the weight. For the G62 it's bolt on.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:24 PM
CaptRKO

I figured it out.....

Dont want to save weight.....as she went into a 1/5 Corsair....I actually NEED the weight.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spring starters on a G62 are for pansies.........learn how to hand start that thing!!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:14 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by flygilmore View Post
Spring starters on a G62 are for pansies.........learn how to hand start that thing!!!!
Sir, not everyone is able to hand start an engine for any number of reasons. Some may have disabilities that prevent a normal hand start .... have you considered that? Apparently not considering your response.

As long as a guy is out flying, I really don't care how he starts his engine. I'm thankful I can still hand start mine but realize that at my age, I could lose that ability at any time.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:35 AM
a70eliminator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a spring starter on my g-38, done my share of prop flipping with scars to prove it, I've paid my dues, as you get older and wiser you'll understand.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 PM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by flygilmore View Post

That is a stupid comment.

Installed the spring starter and LOVE IT! Funny how everyone at the field is amazed at how easy my G62 starts with just a 1/2 pull on the spring. Wish they had them on all my airplanes.

I needed the weight and so far it has been a win/win.....I guess to each his own.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

You want to pull the spring starter and grease the one way bearing every year and it will last forever. They are hard to beat.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a spring starter for a G38....will sell.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:07 AM
Turtle

Hi captinjohn, What is the condition of your spring starter? How much do you want for it? would you be willing to post it to Australia?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Sir, not everyone is able to hand start an engine for any number of reasons. Some may have disabilities that prevent a normal hand start .... have you considered that? Apparently not considering your response.

As long as a guy is out flying, I really don't care how he starts his engine. I'm thankful I can still hand start mine but realize that at my age, I could lose that ability at any time.
+1

I'm in that group and would not be able to fly if I fatiqued my arm hand starting any of my gas engines. Yes they are all tuned well and do hand start if done by others.

Pete
Old 04-22-2015, 08:47 PM
grassie

I have a g62 on a Aeroworks Stearman and wanted to take the spring off. After reading this I think it can stay right where it is as I had serious heart failure. So flipping is out of the question for me.