Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Left ovwe fuel in gas engines

Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 AM
hbrannan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left ovwe fuel in gas engines

Do you run your engine after flying to empty all fuel left in carburator or not? I have been tol to leave the fuel in the engine and have been told to run them dry! Whats the best?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run ethanol free gas through the engine for two minutes at medium throttle and run the carburetor dry. It works for me. Dan.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

My airplanes are kept in the house and being a retired Firefighter, I don't want gas left in the models so I run 'em dry at the end of the day. Some folks claim that you should leave the fuel in for various reasons which I do not believe are valid. I've been doing this for 10 years and haven't had an issue. Bye the way, I also run my weed eater, my lawn mower, my leaf blower and my chain saw (as recommended by Stihl) dry for the Winter....
Old 12-02-2014, 08:24 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

I always leave a little fuel in the tank. Because of the ethanol in all gasoline now if the carbs are run dry the flexible parts in the carb can dry out and become stiff. I don't think this would be an issue if the airplane gets flown once every month. As Dan Suggests, running an ethanol free fuel and then draining would be the best solution.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:05 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I go on the thought that you never run your lawnmower or trimmer engine dry when you are done using them. You simply turn them off and put them up. They work for years like that too. But for my airplanes, what I do stop the engine, drain the fuel tank, plug the vent and leave the fuel in the carburetor. That seems to work well for me. Since the modern gasolines with ethanol in them contain a number of other volatile hydrocarbon solvents. The chemicals can dry out the membranes in the carburetor. Also Tygon tends to stay soft longer if the fuel tank doesn't dry out on the inside too. Otherwise the Tygon tends to get stiff.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:36 PM
pilotpete2

I always pump the fuel out of the tank at the end of every flying session for transportation and storage safety. I do leave fuel in the line and carburetor, even for seasonal storage and never seem to have problems with the carbs. I also have been using ethanol free gas for the past two seasons.
Pete
Old 12-02-2014, 07:23 PM
speedracerntrixie

I'm no expert but I beleive that a tank full of gas fumes and oxygen is more dangerous then a tank full of gas sans oxygen (air). IMO I just don't see the difference in safety between the two. It may shock some to think about the brushed 12V electric motor that runs while submerged in gasoline 4 feet away from the driver of most cars.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM
dadragon

for you folks using pump gas a lil sta-bil in the last tank will help keep the carb and tank clean,myself I'm an ave gas guy so there is no worries about shelf or whats left in the bird.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:53 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I'm no expert but I beleive that a tank full of gas fumes and oxygen is more dangerous then a tank full of gas sans oxygen (air). IMO I just don't see the difference in safety between the two. It may shock some to think about the brushed 12V electric motor that runs while submerged in gasoline 4 feet away from the driver of most cars.
Pure Gas is the way to go, just like pilotpete stated. It is ethanol free & is a very good fuel to leave in the carb. Also speedracer I have heard a tank full of gas is not as dangerous as a tank with just a small amount of fuel in it. All vents from tanks should be plugged off & a cork or rubber ball blocking the carb throat for storage...even for a short time.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:08 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove the fuel when I am done flying. Then I put half a tank of Coleman Camp Fuel mixed with Sta-Bil and 20:1 Pennzoil. I run the engine for a couple of minutes at varying throttle settings, choke it to stop it, and leave the camp fuel in the tank and carb. I cap off the vent and leave the choke closed.

I used to have carb problems and fuel line problems all the time until I started doing the above. Since then, I have not had to replace a carb diaphragm nor fuel line in two years.

I do not, and would not, fly with Coleman Fuel.

AV8TOR
Old 12-03-2014, 04:23 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

After reading this thread, I think you can do whatever you like. I just drain my tank and plug the fuel lines. I drain the tank to keep it from leaking out in my car and on my garage floor.
I used to fly with coleman fuel until it got to $10/gal. It worked for me
Old 12-03-2014, 05:25 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I use Avgas and leave enough fuel in the tank to keep the fuel lines wet. When I used to run pump 93 and drain the tank the lines would get as stiff as a board after one season.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Myself I go with leaving fuel in the tank and carb and so far I have not had any tygon go stiff nor have I had any carb issue's. But I use a high quality oil with stabilizers in it.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 AM
speedracerntrixie

Careful, you may be setting us up for another oil war LOL.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Careful, you may be setting us up for another oil war LOL.
Why do you think I quit posting???? lol
Old 12-04-2014, 05:37 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I've said all I'm going to as well. Get out the popcorn eating deer....

AV8TOR