Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

roto motor 85 fsi

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roto motor 85 fsi

Have not been able to find much info on this engine. Anyone have any experience with it? Does it have offset timing?
Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 PM
kochj

I have one on the way.
No it doesn't have the 270 deg timing like the Kolm engine does...
I have experience with the V twin custom road bikes (Indian,Harley,Victory & other CnC'd V-twin engines) They are NOT KNOWN for there SMOOOTHNESSSS>.>>..
I don't know how the kolm works....Is it opposite timming? Like the front engine is on INTAKE and the Rear engine is on EXHAUST?????
not sure....

The other thing that I looked at, is HOW is the Roto motor timming work? Does it have a camshaft in the SIde of the engine"? or it is the Crank that has the lobes?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM
kochj

Roto Motor 85fsi Is now in my hands!!!

Lot more compact than I had thought I will fit in almost ANY 50-60cc warbird. The engine is only 1inch longer than my ZDZ 40cc engine on aluminum standoffs (they are from a 30cc DLE or was it a 50 cc??) anyhow.... it shouldn't
be too much of and issue, as far as fitment.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:17 PM
kochj

To clearify my 1st post.....
'
V-twins fire almost consecutively.. The pistons are on the SAME crank feed, there for you get the "THUMP ..THUMP..(exhaust, .....and intake THEN) THUMP THUMP.....pause pause.... Thump Thump... Pause pause. ect ect

The ROTO 85fsi is setup so that it fires direct OPPOSITE of the other piston.....
Old 06-25-2015, 12:19 PM
kochj

One way I could make this engine sound most like a v-twin....... Make one of the mufflers Length 3-4 times longer than the other one... and use a large volume muffler that collects the 2-headers at some point.
Just a thought...
Old 06-25-2015, 03:17 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Thanks for giving some input. Doing that would disturb the engine timing. it would not reach peak RPM. I was seriously considering the engine for a Ziroli mustang but opted for a DLE85 since there was very little reference on the web about it, All I need is another $1500 engine that works for a short period of time.

Please post more info as you go about it . Like how big of a prop you can get it to spin without bogging or over heating.

Originally Posted by kochj View Post
One way I could make this engine sound most like a v-twin....... Make one of the mufflers Length 3-4 times longer than the other one... and use a large volume muffler that collects the 2-headers at some point.
Just a thought...
Old 06-26-2015, 01:34 AM
An-2o

I had a dle85 on my 1/3 cub and I gave it away to my father in law for a future project so that I could go back to the ever so quiet but realistic sound of a four stroke, so I replaced it with a roto 85 fs-ng and couldn't be happier with it. as far as props it depends what you have it on, with this cub I could easily swing a 25x10-28x10 cause i'm just putt'n around with a cub. I would buy another one.. but i'll probably buy the roto 170 on a hempel 40% l4
Old 06-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Mikola

TorqPro 70 is below half the price of Roto 85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKh8A-pSv4
Old 06-27-2015, 01:36 AM
An-2o

theres a reason why its half the price of the roto for one the roto is top notch quality its like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevrolet vega, I've been down that road before buying a cheap engine and at the end I ended up buying the engine I should've bought to begin with, but its up to whatever the person wants and all I want is a reliable and hassle free engine. Also the roto will probably last you a life time. However after watching quite a few videos on the tqpro 70 I didn't see one video where the engines actually ran good, but then again you get what you pay for. All I can say is my roto 85 runs like a sewing machine but again for how much they cost it better.

Last edited by An-2o; 06-27-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Mikola

Originally Posted by An-2o View Post
However after watching quite a few videos on the tqpro 70 I didn't see one video where the engines actually ran good
what's wrong on this video ?