Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DJ engines from Mile High R/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:36 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default DJ engines from Mile High R/C

Has anyone tried one of these engines yet and are there any reports on quality, running, etc? I am particularly interested in the 72cc engine but they list an 85cc engine as well.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At FG there is a thread and they say they are having problems with them after about two hours of flying time.

Milton
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Lifer

Thanks for the reply. Any details or a link to the thread?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:27 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Read the last 3-4 pages

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=111748
Old 11-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes the thread is 24 pages long and they really didn't start to report many engine's in the field until about page 14 - 15 or so.

Like so many of these early Chinese production engines, it appears they are using the users as beta testers until all the bugs are worked out. They will probably be a good engine one day but it is very questionable whether they are a reliable product today. If I was interested in these engines, I'd wait a few months or a year until they are fully developed.

Certainly Mile High RC, the US dealer is a stand up company and their history shows they will stand behind these engines just like they did the early EME engines that had some bearing problems. Today, with problems long since corrected, EME engines now enjoy a very good reputation.

Last edited by Truckracer; 11-18-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Lifer

I found the thread and reviewed it carefully. I can't see buying one of these given the reports on the connecting rod spacer issues.

Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate the guidance.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:06 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Truckracer never purchase a new motor out in our market until they get the bugs out and a example of this is the DLE motor years ago they had their share of problems. Today they are very good and reliable motors. I have several of their motors with many hours of time on them along with Truckracer has a DLE 30 in a J-3 cub with hundreds of flights on the motor without a hitch. I have also recentily purchased 2 EME motors one a EME 70 twin and a EME 35. Both have ceramic coated cylinder walls and NKS bearings. Mike at Mile High is a stand up guy who backs his motors and has great and fast service.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:36 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just run the DJ72cc bought 2 yrs ago. Runs smooth and have great idle with that Walbro stock carb.
Idle down to 1000 after one tank of gas. Minimal vibration.
Swinging a fat PK 22x12 prop at 6200 after 1 tank, something G62 will not be able to do. PK props are way fatter than most wood props, need lots of muscle to swing them. Similar to Biela props.
So far so good for this light weight engine that is drop in for DA50 mounting on firewall and using same muffler mounting holes.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:13 AM
PiccoLino

I have bought a brand new DJ 72 GTS V2 last December and, while waiting for the flying season, I installed it with a AS Power canister on a 92 inch wingspan Edge 540. Though it has come all together at less than 9 kg, from the beginning to me it hasn't been performing as "wow!" as many articles read. I tried two prop size: 24x10 and 24x8 (Menz S) turning at 6050 and 6700 RPM respectively. Moreover I faced a number of vibrations related issues, such stripped gas servo teeth, three headers cracked (one aluminium and two flex steel), one stand off lost in flight, etc.. not to mention the crazy noise the airframe generates when idling (1550 RPM). A few buddies said that for an engine design in which stroke prevails over bore, compare to other single cylinder engines (DLE, ZDZ, etc..), it has to be considered a normal thing. Basically you have got more torque into the detriment of RPM and smooth operation.
Does it sound like the right answer to you?
I haven't tried the stock muffler yet. Would it make a difference?
The Rcexl ingnition timing seems to be correct at the usual 29 - 30 degree prior TDC.
Is there anything else to be considered?
Final note: A part of what I said, the engine is reliable, it starts effortlessly, the carburetor settings are easy to find and the quality of the components is superior for the bucks.